Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I am always torn between the Suite type hotels,  Residence Inn, Spring Hill Suites, etc. and the full service type, Marriott, Renaissance, etc. when we travel.  I guess I have to say I prefer the latter because they include a restaurant, a bar, and a Concierge Lounge.  

I can understand.   I think my preference if more than 2 day is an AirBnB.   Especially when away for a longer trip it is sometimes nice to have a light relaxed meal in front of the TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaneStarr said:

Bonvoy (Marriott) offers complimentary upgrade to premium for not that high a loyalty level. I forget what tier it starts, but I am « only » Gold. That’s the level that comes included with AmEx Platinum. You may want to look into it.

We also like the Residence Inn product. It feels homey to us

Jane

Iain was just telling me I should have used his Bonvoy number.   He use to stay at lots of Marriott's when on business.    I let him know he should have his number applied to our reservation to get the points.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Wow. what a great photo..

I was so sad when our local Gimbels closed . My prof career started in the early 70's  wearing  business suits bought at reasonable prices from Gimbels...Had to be blue or blk suits skirted below the knee,  no minis. white collared blouse, hosiery, high heels and a coach handbag.

Boy how things have changed!

Times have changed for sure.   I remember Gimbels from Philadelphia when I was in 1st Grade.   Loved their windows at Christmas.

Dress code has sure changed for work.   Especially in Silicon Valley where jeans or Shorts  and TShirts are the new uniform, unless you are customer facing.

Hey Jim, I don’t know if you guys are football fans but today at 3:25 CST is the Chicago Bears Green Bay Packers game.  It is one of the classic and oldest  rivalries in the NFL.  If you fancy a cold one I’m sure you will find a fun and enthusiastic crowd watching the game in one of the local establishments!  Hope you have a terrific trip!

1 hour ago, JaneStarr said:

Bonvoy (Marriott) offers complimentary upgrade to premium for not that high a loyalty level. I forget what tier it starts, but I am « only » Gold. That’s the level that comes included with AmEx Platinum. You may want to look into it.

We also like the Residence Inn product. It feels homey to us

Jane

We have gotten excellent upgrades from the lowest standard rooms booked to some pretty awesome suites on our last two Marriott stays in Sydney and in Hollywood. Both were for three nights. In Sydney, we had just disembarked and had figured we'd only drop bags, and maybe get soffe and tea in the lounge, coming back later. Nope, they said, "we have a Bridge View Spa Suite available right now, would you like it?" Um... yes, please! We even had a second half bath. The suite in Hollywood was pretty terrific, as well. These were because of Platinum Elite status with a credit card. We are going back to the Hollywood one this month and the Sydney one next month. I'm going to try not to be disappointed if we don't get another upgrade. All we really need is a clean room, but we sure have been spoiled. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain was just telling me I should have used his Bonvoy number.   He use to stay at lots of Marriott's when on business.    I let him know he should have his number applied to our reservation to get the points.

Great idea. I book all our stays under my number (and also include my husband’s name). For the complimentary wifi upgrade, I believe the reservation needs to be in the name of the guest with the Bonvoy status. We signing up for the internet access, all they ask is for your last name and room number, as I recall

Edited by JaneStarr

Beautiful photos Jim! It looks so quiet and peaceful. Sunday morning I guess 😂

Looking forward to seeing Mackinac Island.I had never heard of Mackinac Island till February this year when we were cruising with friends from Michigan. The waiter serving breakfast told them he had been trained in the hotel there. Small world.

Not long till boarding!
Elizabeth

1 hour ago, ILgirl said:

Hey Jim, I don’t know if you guys are football fans but today at 3:25 CST is the Chicago Bears Green Bay Packers game.  It is one of the classic and oldest  rivalries in the NFL.  If you fancy a cold one I’m sure you will find a fun and enthusiastic crowd watching the game in one of the local establishments!  Hope you have a terrific trip!

Not a huge football fans but occasionally catch a 49 Game at our Levi Stadium.

45 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

Great idea. I book all our stays under my number (and also include my husband’s name). For the complimentary wifi upgrade, I believe the reservation needs to be in the name of the guest with the Bonvoy status. We signing up for the internet access, all they ask is for your last name and room number, as I recall

This one was even easier to access when the portal was working -- you just said access internet  and click. No name or room number.

41 minutes ago, champagnecruiser said:

Beautiful photos Jim! It looks so quiet and peaceful. Sunday morning I guess 😂

Looking forward to seeing Mackinac Island.I had never heard of Mackinac Island till February this year when we were cruising with friends from Michigan. The waiter serving breakfast told them he had been trained in the hotel there. Small world.

Not long till boarding!
Elizabeth

Elizabeth -  We had the same feeling.  The city is really quiet today and wasn't sure if it was just Sunday or just a quiet city.   The thing I notice more than anything is how clean the whole city is.   Didn't see a scrap of trash on the streets or sidewalks.

The other thing was the amount of art.   They have a map to take the sculpture and art work of Milwaukee. 

• Like 2