Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Poconolady said:

Ah, the Grand Hotel. I spent many vacations there when I was a child. First we would go to a rustic fishing camp in the UP for a week for my Dad to unwind and then stop by the Grand for a week to appease my Mom. Fudge shops, long walks, sitting in the rocking chairs on the front porch before dinner, bicycling all over the island- but what I remember most was the freezing cold water in their huge pool!! 

You sound like you love it.    It is a beautiful Island and a very pleasant port.

The nice thing is that this is late in the season and it was not over crowded.  Trees are just starting to show some color.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

That's strange as when we were there in June this year (on Viking) you were not allowed on the property unless you were a guest or on a tour.  You could get a carriage ride through the property but you were not allowed to get off.  My neice was on visiting on the island and we were going to see if we could meet her at the Hotel (we were on a tour with lunch at the Grand) she was told the same thing.  Heard others on the ship that said they couldn't get on the property.  Could it be that they limited the admission during the summer?  Also, that sign was not there when we were there and we walked that part of the property. 

That's strange.   Wonder if they had something going on.    

They have a permanent ticket desk setup at the front door with two agents  selling tickets and handing out brochures.  

12 hours ago, Reel Love said:

100% agree!  I thought the exact same thing when saw this picture, hcat and Bernadette.   

Jim, simply stunning and IMHO one of the best photos (or at least a favorite for me) that I have ever seen you post!!!!   

Continuing to follow your excellent live report.... it is terrific learning about a new line and thank you so much as always for taking us along!

I kinda liked that one.    I shot another a couple inches to the right and it just didn't have the same feel.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That's strange.   Wonder if they had something going on.    

They have a permanent ticket desk setup at the front door with two agents  selling tickets and handing out brochures.  

I think it might have been a restriction for the summer.  The streets, sidewalks, restaurants, stores etc. we're packed! 

Last night was the first Gala Night.  Was nice to see every one dressed up for the evening. 

I am posting the food photographs on the Ponant thread - Link in signature

IMG_6797.thumb.jpeg.2f57cebe2cb9597349d675e26c997980.jpeg

IMG_6798.thumb.jpeg.b0d9b683c587f06d54c59dc6d28c53c1.jpeg

IMG_6799.thumb.jpeg.b99feb830856473996069e9b273edd81.jpeg

IMG_6808.thumb.jpeg.7e638e766942aa183f9e39c4b695a3f4.jpeg

IMG_6809.thumb.jpeg.46be1c8a7502ccbf7ebe7603a2c44eeb.jpeg

IMG_6810.thumb.jpeg.a4016f43835dcba425d4d02bb60710a6.jpeg

IMG_6811.thumb.jpeg.25f32bf5025fb102634fa238f16aee4b.jpeg

IMG_6812.thumb.jpeg.0bd6a8675c5902742487b3d04b11c4f2.jpeg

The highlights were the foie Gras and the Filet and Lobster were beyond belief.  New England Lobster and steak so tender no knife required 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I believe that was the classic wasn't that.    This is the only wifi on the ship and there are no upgrades.

To be honest it seem to be working ok for us.   Last night we were able to stream Jeopardy on the Firestick.

It was the classic, it work ok , until I went on your thread about your Crossing , and had to wait 5 mins to download all your pictures 🤣

Jim - I follow quietly most of the time, but wanted to thank you for the Mackinac Island pictures!! It was home to me for several summers during college and I miss the island.

I would imagine the restrictions on entry to the hotel last year were Covid related as typically there's been a small fee to enjoy the porch since the early 80s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It was the classic, it work ok , until I went on your thread about your Crossing , and had to wait 5 mins to download all your pictures 🤣

I'm surprised that it is going so well.   It may be we only have 180 pax sharing that bandwidth. 

17 hours ago, miched said:

Years ago there was no fee or admission to enter the Grand Hotel.   How many hotels charge you a fee to enter their lobby or go to the bar, or restaurant?  

Then it was decided since it was a tourist destination to walk on the worlds longest porch they could charge a fee.    It started out as $5 pp. Their explanation was to keep all of the tourists from preventing their paying guests staying at the hotel to enjoy  sitting on the porch.  Apparently it was ok to pay $5 to do that. 😱🤷‍♂️🤗💰

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We were there years ago when no fee.  Haven't been in a long time to the island.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, janabelle61 said:

Jim - I follow quietly most of the time, but wanted to thank you for the Mackinac Island pictures!! It was home to me for several summers during college and I miss the island.

I would imagine the restrictions on entry to the hotel last year were Covid related as typically there's been a small fee to enjoy the porch since the early 80s.

That is so exciting.   Our guide said they now have works from all over the world that come to work for the summer season.   They have boarding houses to make it affordable.

When in College I worked a summer on Lake Michigan on a resort near Muskegon.  Loved it.  

9 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

That tea at the Grand Hotel looked so good!

It was.   Everything was delicious.   I was a bit concerned that I had over eaten since we had our first Formal Night...but.... was fine by dinner. 

It was nicely served an casual at the same time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

That tea at the Grand Hotel looked so good!

I would say it compares to the Tea Service they once had in Olympic -  Free Pouring Champagne, that tiered tray was for ever 2 passengers.     Compared to Luminae -

Grand Hotel  10+      Luminae 7

• Like 1

IMG_6827.thumb.jpeg.09e77ce3911402ca37e63acc1d917c20.jpeg

We arrived very early but slept in as we plan on exploring Saul St Marie on our own.

The landscape along the River Trail is incredible -  The town itself was rather ho hum.

We first departed the ship and walked to the Main Street.   Did find a couple pieces of street art and some interesting doors.  Maybe because of the cold most doors are just plain door and all shops have glass doors.

IMG_6829.thumb.jpeg.ef61609b5ae367e14f74d92f723d786b.jpeg

IMG_6830.thumb.jpeg.da5b9f4d079124351e1f42ab61bd1c5a.jpeg

IMG_6831.thumb.jpeg.676c9163a2429e277efdb21942440867.jpeg

IMG_6832.thumb.jpeg.69283363b120efafaacccd6fc3c9349f.jpeg

IMG_6835.thumb.jpeg.7b32e809752cf3ef068547c40d942299.jpeg

IMG_6834.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12