Novice cane user seeks helpful hints

shipgeeks

Due to balance issues (peripheral neuropathy/numb feet) and therefore a lack of confidence, I will be taking a cane on my upcoming cruise.  I use it when I go out of the house, but not in the house.

I don't anticipate having any qualms about just keeping it with me all the time, onboard and off.

I notice the bottom surface could lose some of its rubber.  Do you take grippy tape to reinforce that if needed?

Any other hints for this newbie?

I've used a cane, walker and electric scooter, and haven't had issues with the cand tip losing rubber.  If I thought it could be an issue, I would take am extra tip with me.  I think putting tape on it, depending on where, could make it very slippery.

On 9/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, shipgeeks said:

Due to balance issues (peripheral neuropathy/numb feet) and therefore a lack of confidence, I will be taking a cane on my upcoming cruise.  I use it when I go out of the house, but not in the house.

I don't anticipate having any qualms about just keeping it with me all the time, onboard and off.

I notice the bottom surface could lose some of its rubber.  Do you take grippy tape to reinforce that if needed?

I'm not sure what you mean about the tip "losing some of its rubber".  It doesn't sound like you mean the tip falling off.  However, you might want to bring an extra tip (or two?) with you just in case.  I don't know how likely it is that the tip would fall off, but you'll probably feel better having extra with you.

I also just Googled "rough surface tape" (for lack of anything more creative!), and found an assortment.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=rough+surface+tape&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Some seemed more suitable than others.  "rough surface painter's tape" didn't sound like quite the right thing.  But there are several that seemed more suitable, such as "grip tape".

Some of these may be more for helping with stable footing, such as the "rough surface" one sometimes finds at the front top edge of each step on a staircase, etc.

But having something like this might be nice as a backup.

You could ask at something like Home Depot what is most suitable, or perhaps ask at a store that sells canes what they recommend.

And then there's the search for "extra grip cane tips".  

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=extra+grip+cane+tips&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Again, asking someone who deals with these products might help you find the most suitable for your purposes.

These things don't seem to cost much, and would probably help eliminate some of your concern.

I may be needing a cane/walker/etc., in the future, which is why I was interested in your question.

For now, I'm doing some serious physical therapy that focuses on both strength and balance... so I don't keep clutching onto DH, giving him back problems.

Or causing us *both* of us to fall...

That "lack of confidence" can really interfere.

GC

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, shipgeeks said:

Yes, your cane tip will wear down with time.  Unless you're going to be on a cruise for months, you don't need to worry about it.  They don't lose rubber THAT fast!

I've also found that canes with the colored tips wear less quickly than the black ones but that may be just for me.

I would not put tape on a cane tip; replace the tip (or the entire thing, they're not that expensive) when it becomes worn.  Even new cane tips will slip if the surface is wet or slippery so be careful.  

This is the most stable cane I've ever used, and I'm sure it comes in a non-folding version.  Or you can look for tips similar to it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1WM87GN/?th=1

Edited by Valen9
forgot the link!
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the thoughts; they are good ones.

I have put my name on my cane, just in case I forget it and leave it somewhere (although I'm sure I wouldn't get very far).  The white sticker helps me notice it, too, when it's propped up between a couple of chairs.

And I, too, am doing PT for both strength and balance.  Perhaps ironically, I taught fitness classes, including balance skills, for 35 or so years. When the lockdown occurred, and my job abruptly ended, I did a daily blog for my students, re things they could do at home to maintain their skills.  One was using a yardstick as a cane while standing on one foot: just enough floor contact for a mental confidence boost, but not enough to really support the user.

You are right, lack of confidence is the biggie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having been on a cane for 35 years, starting out using it only outside my home, I discovered that I would leave it behind when I didn't need it as much as I eventually did (for ALL my walking). I had to remind myself to check for my cane every time I stood up from a seat so I didn't leave it behind. You might want to practice that before your cruise, and also tape a luggage tag with your cabin number on it in case you do leave it behind at some point. 

Also, another "up vote" for the reassurance that you won't need to worry about the rubber tip wearing down for a long, long time. 

By the way, one of my happiest discoveries was fashionable canes dot com . . . As long as I need a cane, I may as well choose a great looking one (or six. No kidding).  

• Like 2