Restaurants Near Port Canaveral

1st4our25th

the port trilogy: Grills, Fish Lips, Rusty's (and there are others in the area) ask 4 folks which one is best and get 6 recommendations BUT we prefer Grills as they GRILL vs FRY in most cases.

Kelly's Pizza - more than pizza - above average family italian - greek salad is a fav' of mine ... mini is enof for two!!!!

all within a couple of minutes . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

the port trilogy: Grills, Fish Lips, Rusty's (and there are others in the area) ask 4 folks which one is best and get 6 recommendations BUT we prefer Grills as they GRILL vs FRY in most cases.

Kelly's Pizza - more than pizza - above average family italian - greek salad is a fav' of mine ... mini is enof for two!!!!

all within a couple of minutes . . . 

Definitely agree~ We enjoyed Grills the evening before our last cruise and we ate at Kelly’s prior to flying home after the cruise. (We spent the day at Jetty Park). Both were excellent. 
We also stayed at Country Inn & Suites, and had a pleasant stay. Clean, quiet and comfortable. 

• Thanks 1

I like all 3 for different reasons…though I’ve only had lunch at Fishlips…

Grills can be handy because the deck dining is first come…or grab where you can when you can. There are a few smaller tables and several larger tables…big squares that seat 8…and if you are vigilant and/or willing to ask to share, you can find a seat even on a busy night. The live music is usually decent but it can be loud. People will dance. It’s a party atmosphere and my favorite thing to eat there are the burgers. For being near the water…not much water view actually. Stage is close to the street entrance and there’s a bit of marina right there. If you get a table in the normal restaurant and sit outside, there might be a bit of a better view but it’ll still be through the boats.

Fishlips has a small bar side outside area that is always open…in inclement weather there’s a larger area behind plastic like coverings. Not sure if it opens up but probably does. It’s on the second story so you’re up higher than the other 2. They have the best fish tacos IMO. Again, only eaten there for lunch…and for the fish tacos…because we end up going there if that’s what we want. Sun can be rough because only umbrellas for shade and only a few. 

Rusty’s has the best outside deck IMO. It has a great shade structure up high and feels more spacious than the others. Also has live music but it’s usually a single person. Grills can have a band…but it can be loud as well if you are too close… it seems easier to get further away from the stage though. They have a decent early bird special before 6 pm with a smaller portion and one side. Also they’ll take $2 off a dozen oysters or have a break on the peel and eat shrimp. We always end up spending way more money at Rusty’s…and on a busy night, the wait can be rough. 

All 3 will see cruise ships sail right past if they are leaving from the West/North terminals. 

We’ve also had happy hour at Rising Tide. Really good special on apps and on tap beer. Food was very very good but it’s not on the port water. There’s a pond in the middle of the port and there’s a deck outside next to it. Best selection of draft beer at the port but can be hard to go to if you really want to be waterside. Also felt like the portions were small for the price but the food was probably better than the others…it’s just hard to pick over the others’ because of the lack of view.

Not as familiar with other restaurants closer to the port…

If you want to hit a beach for a walk, go to Cherie Downs.  And be easy to park there…and there’s a bathroom. Other beach access parking in Port Canaveral is free but you have to pay to park in Cocoa Beach beach access parking lots.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 3:33 PM, 1st4our25th said:

We are driving in the day before our cruise out of Port Canaveral.

"Driving in" implies you'll have your own car. If that is the case, I'd choose Rusty's Seafood first, then Grills Seafood. Both have good food, fun atmosphere and nice views. If you wanted to walk, I'd go to Kelsey's or Thai Thai III.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

"Driving in" implies you'll have your own car. If that is the case, I'd choose Rusty's Seafood first, then Grills Seafood. Both have good food, fun atmosphere and nice views. If you wanted to walk, I'd go to Kelsey's or Thai Thai III.

Yes, we will be driving our own car. Don't mind driving maybe up to 20 minutes from the hotel, but I'm sure we won't want to be in the car much after a 9 hr drive so that's why I was looking for something close. 

I've also heard good things about Papa Vito's. Anyone have any input on that?

10 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

. I've also heard good things about Papa Vito's. Anyone have any input on that?

There are several good Italian restaurants in Cocoa Beach, most with a heavy NY influence.

My two cents is, if you are going to drive, go for the waterfront places like Rusty's and Grills. They will be a good beginning to a vacation with the views of the water, the ships, etc.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

Yes, we will be driving our own car. Don't mind driving maybe up to 20 minutes from the hotel, but I'm sure we won't want to be in the car much after a 9 hr drive so that's why I was looking for something close. 

I've also heard good things about Papa Vito's. Anyone have any input on that?

I knew Papa Vito’s had come up in conversation before. It’s briefly mentioned as being a popular choice in this older thread…and there’s a few other restaurant recommendations not yet mentioned:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2705690-restaurant-in-cape-canaveral/

You haven’t mentioned approximate time or the day of week…my only concern would be the wait times at the port restaurants…which can be really long…which doesn’t sound like an awesome way to spend your evening after a road trip…however, if you’re down with grabbing a drink or two and/or walking around the area a bit, I know Rusty’s takes your phone number and calls you when your table is ready…the others might as well. I don’t think any place is worth waiting an hour for and I’ve done that personally at the port…when the wait was longer than expected.

A PP said to be flexible and just see who has availability when you get there and that’s a good idea. I didn’t look at the map exactly but saw Papa Vito’s is Cocoa Beach…and there’d be a bunch around there for entertainment too…and/or just stretching out your legs walking around after your road trip.

And wanted to add…I know I always get my fish blackened at Rusty’s…and my fish tacos at Fishlips too…so Grillz isn’t the only place with grilled seafood. 

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

You haven’t mentioned approximate time or the day of week…my only concern would be the wait times at the port restaurants…which can be really long…

And wanted to add…I know I always get my fish blackened at Rusty’s…and my fish tacos at Fishlips too…so Grillz isn’t the only place with grilled seafood. 

We are arriving the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so a holiday weekend.

Also, two of the four of us don't care for seafood, so unless they have other options that may not be a good choice for us, unfortunately.

Thank you for your help! 😊

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

We are arriving the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so a holiday weekend. Also, two of the four of us don't care for seafood, so unless they have other options that may not be a good choice for us, unfortunately.

Rusty's and Grills both have chicken, steak and burgers. Grills is the more extensive, non-fish menu.

If I wanted Italian, Mangia & Bevi Pizzeria Napoletana is my favorite for their pizza.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Vacation...Yes said:

Are these within walking distance? We are not driving so still weighing hotel options. Thanks.

Walking distance from where? The OP is staying at the Country Inn & Suites. That is walking distance to the waterfront restaurants and Kelsey's and Thai Thai III are too.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Rustys the most.  Had a great atmosphere and great food.  Grills served my beer in a plastic cup and I was immediately turned off.  I can't stand drinking beer or alcohol in plastics cups.  I had a fish sandwich and it was ok.  I went to Rustys after I paid my bill.  

I tried a new(er) place  for lunch yesterday.

Dolphins Waterfront Grill .... https://dolphinsgrill.com/

it is at 528 and SR-3 ... about 5 miles west of the port

image.thumb.png.8ec09d53aa8787df18e055e5e57ce238.png

bit more of a Hawaii vibe with kalua pork, poki, loco moco in addition to burgers etc. I don't see anything fried beside french fries sides ...  had a decent fish sandwich. Others in group had good looking burgers. Full bar (real glasses). Big open tiki style (no walls!!) Sat Sun evening some live local music . . .

a lil awkward to get in to as you can only turn in from SOUTH BOUND SR3 .... if heading north you go over the canal, make a well marked u-turn (special signal) them come in from the north turning immediately b4 the ramp to west 528 . . .

image.png.a191098968e6532f668261de15debdbe.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

I tried a new(er) place  for lunch yesterday. Dolphins Waterfront Grill .... https://dolphinsgrill.com/

bit more of a Hawaii vibe with kalua pork, poki, loco moco in addition to......

I didn't see poke on the menu, garlic shrimp isn't Hawaiian, especially not with a Sriracha remoulade and they put cilantro in their lomi lomi (I shudder)..... but it still looks interesting and worth a visit.