*LIVE* From the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska with Glacier Bay 9/03/2023

BirdTravels

14 minutes ago, Figg1437 said:

Hey Bird-

how was the Haven for Glacier Bay Day?  Curious if the horizon lounge is crowded? How about deck 19? 

Thanks!

The views from the Horizon Lounge are not the best. The windows have a lot of support beams and they are steeply inclined. You can see better from the Deck 18 library, but you are far from the glass. 

Most people will want to be on the Deck 19 sundecks. That’s where the Birds perched for most of the Glacier Bay day. Great 270 degree views of the glaciers. There are those who spent a lot of the morning in the sundeck hot tubs, can’t see much from there. 

They have a bar set up on the sundeck with “adult coffee”, hot chocolate, and later in the morning, lovely salmon chowder. 

IMG_9701.jpeg

IMG_9702.jpeg

Horizons Lounge viewing Glacier Bay

IMG_9801.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 3:04 PM, depplep said:

I got an email from NCL yesterday stating my White Pass Railway excursion was changed to the White Pass Train going to Inspiration Point due to operational needs. I can't see what the difference would be other than the destination?

I believe that the route will be the same it will just be 3.4 miles shorter round trip. The full route (Summit Excursion) is supposed to run until 10/4 and the Journey to Inspiration Point is supposed to run from 10/6 - 10/25.

Our excursion for the 10/22 sailing is to Inspiration Point and I was curious why it was titled as such so I did the research.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 1:11 PM, BirdTravels said:

Are you an aspiring artist? Or just someone who enjoys getting the creative juices flowing? Canvas by U is a great opportunity to try out a step by step instructed class to create a masterpiece that can be sold by Park West at auction. $35 and an hour of your time is all it takes. The instruction and all of the art supplies are provided by the cruise staff. 

There were three classes this week, all sold out, but a few stand-by artists got in. 

My wife would love to do this. When you sign up do you know which painting will be offered at what date/time? She would love the landscapes, but not the coffee one.

@BirdTravels thank you for another fantastic review!  We love the Encore (and will be sailing her again in January).  Would you recommend the 1st week of September for Alaska (weather wise)?  DH doesn't like to travel in July or August as that's prime lake season for us, so considering early September or early June.

3 hours ago, SpanishForker said:

My wife would love to do this. When you sign up do you know which painting will be offered at what date/time? She would love the landscapes, but not the coffee one.

Sign up at the Box Office on embarkation day. They will have each of the pictures for the week on display and a sign up sheet for each. You know exactly what picture you are signing up for and the date/time of the class. 

1 hour ago, nhtravels said:

@BirdTravels thank you for another fantastic review!  We love the Encore (and will be sailing her again in January).  Would you recommend the 1st week of September for Alaska (weather wise)?  DH doesn't like to travel in July or August as that's prime lake season for us, so considering early September or early June.

Most of the Alaskan ports are in rain forests. With some rain 300+ days a year. 

This cruise was a bit cool for us. We like weather where we can walk around the port in shorts. Over the past few years we have sailed in September (this year), May, August, August, June, August, June. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sign up at the Box Office on embarkation day. They will have each of the pictures for the week on display and a sign up sheet for each. You know exactly what picture you are signing up for and the date/time of the class. 

Thank you so much for the answer. 

On 9/10/2023 at 4:52 PM, BirdTravels said:

Amy, have a wonderful cruise!

If you have the good fortune of being in the Haven, Lyster Diaz is an amazing concierge,,, the best we have had in the longest time. 

@BirdTravels we splurged for the DOS 18100....a reunion for our family with friends from London and Bermuda. They've never been on a cruise before, none of us have been to Alaska and I think we are about to ruin them for life! Will look out for Lyster, and am so glad you had a wonderful time yourself. Have been loving your posts for the longest time, but especially this one!

Safe Travels, Warmest Amy