*LIVE* From the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska with Glacier Bay 9/03/2023

BirdTravels

On 9/8/2023 at 7:09 PM, BirdTravels said:

The Birds took a lazy ride down the Chillkat River in Haines to take in nature’s beauty. 

Was this an NCL excursion, or did you just take the ferry to Haines from Skagway and back on your own? We were fortunate enough to be one of the very few ships to call in Haines on our Princess cruise this summer, and it was by far our favorite port in Alaska. As not many ships call there, we would love to go back!

On 9/4/2023 at 6:19 PM, cb2367 said:

Can anyone use the TJ's luggage service? That would work perfectly for when I get back from the cruise to store my luggage before I head to the hotel. Is the crew shop only open to crew (just wondering in case any last minute things are needed).

@cb2367The crew store was right next door to the luggage storage. Neither was a true store that you walk in and look around. Basically you stood just inside the doorway and asked for what you wanted. There was a door/opening between the two.

We had an 11:00 pm flight. By using Port Valet, our larger bags were already sent to airport. We chose to consolidate down from 3 backpacks to 2 and stored the remaining one for 5.00. They attach a tag and give you the stub.

Note: they close at 3:00. She makes sure you know this. And if you forget to be there at 3:00, she will call you and demand that you return then! She must leave and can not wait for you. Most people will already be on their way to the airport and will have retrieved their luggage by 3:00 and they won’t have the issue I had.

3 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Was this an NCL excursion, or did you just take the ferry to Haines from Skagway and back on your own? We were fortunate enough to be one of the very few ships to call in Haines on our Princess cruise this summer, and it was by far our favorite port in Alaska. As not many ships call there, we would love to go back!

This was an NCL Shore Excursion. 

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/SGY_27/Haines-Wilderness-Odyssey-by-Jet-Boat?destination=Alaska+Cruises%2CAsia+Cruises%2CExtraordinary+Journeys%2CHawaii+Cruises&port=SGY&sort=price&sortOrder=desc&perPage=12&startingRecord=12

One of The Birds' go-to restaurants on BA+ ships is the Food Republic. A wide variety of international foods on small plates 😋

image.png.5efbf31c7b957eba9d2d8b658d3f94f7.png

image.png.77df596ba5c063b25d91c64b92ef8136.png

image.png.3e67c18378ce733948b135d01a2a7b32.png

Volcano Roll (Lava Sauce on the Side)

image.png.dee09ddbd6dc77bb4df86ed7eb5d9129.png

Kanpachi Crudo

image.png.86e870463288f83dba5751b339bd316a.png

Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps

image.png.18cd393fa69064a91bf616978f4a9781.png

Pork Belly Bao

image.png.ca3e66228f29096f3b20e12d644bb6ca.png

Vietnamese Pho Tai

image.png.29b5013d018e36e7b994dcc6b548eebf.png

Ramen with BBQ Pork Belly

image.png.7d1943f258e65f2f14d811a96350875f.png

Shitake and Water Chestnut Dumplings

image.png.05b78801174c89c01a8c3decd9c27a28.png

Elote Mexicana 

image.png.8987e961775731ff33c221579a4d836b.png

Lamb Kalbi Gui

image.png.04239b8b06b2e4203c091489197ceea0.png

Green Tea Jar

image.png.a17f9deff959b1a2a240233de1d9e48d.png

Chocolate Black Forest

image.png.887d246e0ec0b585f5474d8a18d7eaf3.png

Decadent Liege Waffle

image.png.a14e1302b5ca51e317ec285c6bec9ac7.png

Dark and Stormy Baba Au Rhum

image.png.82e082ae2db953dcfc46c6a1ab7f351b.png

Hot Sake

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cajun-crazy said:

@cb2367The crew store was right next door to the luggage storage. Neither was a true store that you walk in and look around. Basically you stood just inside the doorway and asked for what you wanted. There was a door/opening between the two.

We had an 11:00 pm flight. By using Port Valet, our larger bags were already sent to airport. We chose to consolidate down from 3 backpacks to 2 and stored the remaining one for 5.00. They attach a tag and give you the stub.

Note: they close at 3:00. She makes sure you know this. And if you forget to be there at 3:00, she will call you and demand that you return then! She must leave and can not wait for you. Most people will already be on their way to the airport and will have retrieved their luggage by 3:00 and they won’t have the issue I had.

I'm probably one of the few who travels out the day after arrival back in port. Fortunately, I've never encountered any delays yet. Assuming no delays in getting off the ship, I was just looking to drop off my bags. I'll still be in the port area so I should be able to return before 3. 

On 9/6/2023 at 9:45 AM, BirdTravels said:

The Birds spent a lovely afternoon in Juneau taking in the views and walking through the rainforest at the top of Mount Roberts. You can stroll like The Birds or so some serious hiking along the trials at the top of the mountain 1800 feet above the docks. 

How long did you spend wandering around Mount Roberts? 

I originally planned to go to the glacier, but the excursion was changed, so I am going up the tram again.  Is it a few hours? Or should I make a secondary port plan too?  (Go to the capital? Try to find a tour on the dock?)  Looks pretty! I have a few weeks to go, so really hoping for good weather to stick around.

On 9/16/2023 at 12:46 PM, cb2367 said:

I'm probably one of the few who travels out the day after arrival back in port. Fortunately, I've never encountered any delays yet. Assuming no delays in getting off the ship, I was just looking to drop off my bags. I'll still be in the port area so I should be able to return before 3. 

We always do.

It's just so hard to get reasonable flights to our regional airport if you don't leave somewhere at 7 am. Too much of a risk to try to fly out at 11 am after coming home from a cruise.

(We also always fly in two days before.  It extends the length of the cruise, but even with the extra, extra buffer, we've still had some close calls!)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, UWCorry said:

Thanks for the great thread. I am wondering if Haven guests have their own special check in at the Bell Street terminal? The line seems very long. 

I cannot speak to Haven, but we are currently on the Encore. Our check-in time was the 11:30-noon window. We arrived at the port via Uber at 11:40. There was a porter waiting at the curb and they took our luggage directly from the car trunk. We stepped foot on the ship at 11:55. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh man, I just saw the food republic pictures, and now I am thinking I SHOULD use both of my FAS meals there. It looks SO good. (As of now I've decided on food republic and los lobos; but I am so torn...  I keep thinking a restaurant with a filet; but then go back to thinking I really want to just eat yummy sushi and guacamole...but then those FR pictures look SO delicious.)

Too many choices, planning is so stressful!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, UWCorry said:

Thanks for the great thread. I am wondering if Haven guests have their own special check in at the Bell Street terminal? The line seems very long. 

See post #227

You still need to queue to get through security before the preferential treatment starts 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, skittl1321 said:

How long did you spend wandering around Mount Roberts? 

I originally planned to go to the glacier, but the excursion was changed, so I am going up the tram again.  Is it a few hours? Or should I make a secondary port plan too?  (Go to the capital? Try to find a tour on the dock?)  Looks pretty! I have a few weeks to go, so really hoping for good weather to stick around.

You can hike/walk as much or little as you want. Lots of well marked trails. It had rained the night before our arrival, so the trails had water puddles and were a little muddy for us.

We didn’t arrive until 2:30 so it was closer to 3:30 before we got to the tramway and didn’t want to be out when the sun started to set and the temps dropped (days are shorter this time of year). 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:32 AM, BirdTravels said:

O.K., more cryptic talk.

Earlier this year, NCL stopped selling flower arrangements for staterooms. 

They then banned people from bringing fresh flowers onto the ship (putting flowers in the same category as guns and hand grenades).

Now, the small floral display for some guests has been changed from fresh flowers that needed to be refreshed weekly to a vase with sad succulents. 

… to be kind to the environment..: 

IMG_0066.thumb.jpeg.d97ef0112ca772386b68748b323948d8.jpeg

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that. My habit is to take a fresh bouquet onboard every cruise to brighten the stateroom. Sadly, when I board the Bliss in May, it will be my first time without! 

Fancy putting flowers in the same category as weapons?! 🤔😬

Thanks for the info- I would have been astounded at the port of they banned my flowers! 

2 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that. My habit is to take a fresh bouquet onboard every cruise to brighten the stateroom. Sadly, when I board the Bliss in May, it will be my first time without! 

Thanks for the info- I would have been astounded at the port of they banned my flowers! 

Generally speaking, plants, some food stuffs, etc could contain contaminants.  That’s why they don’t allow bringing fruits and foods you get in port on to the ship.

Has nothing to do with considering plants or flowers the same as weapons.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

So,,, if you don't mind donating your flowers to port security if your get stopped, you can try. On this Alaska cruise, we saw at least one couple with fresh cut flowers tucked under their arms walking around the ship on embarkation day. By May get more strict or less strict. They are current prohibited items. 

56 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, if you don't mind donating your flowers to port security if your get stopped, you can try. On this Alaska cruise, we saw at least one couple with fresh cut flowers tucked under their arms walking around the ship on embarkation day. By May get more strict or less strict. They are current prohibited items. 

Good idea! I totally get it if it were Australia or New Zealand, with their strict rules about flowers and food. 
We cruise the Med and Europe a lot and it’s never been an issue, but I will look carefully at the list before we go. As you said, may be worth giving it a try with an arrangement- maybe that I have already enjoyed for a few days pre-cruise! Thanks Bird! 💐

I’m enjoying your report by the way!

IMG_6744.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2023 at 7:15 PM, BirdTravels said:

The shuttle up the street to town has a line that wraps around and down the clock. 
IMG_9157.thumb.jpeg.6447a63431fe660d90de49ad45c1e477.jpeg

How long does it take to get off the ship in Juneau?  Is everyone trying to get off at the same time?  Is there a strategy for getting off to avoid long lines?  Do they move quickly?  ty

Thanks for the detailed review and lovely pics! I was on this cruise September of 2022 and loved it. Loved it so much I'm booked for Sept '24.  My absolute favorite part of the ship is the Waterfront. Spent most of my waking hours there (oh, and at Maltings). Glacier Bay day, there was coffee, hot chocolate, adult add-ins, and chowder. For me, it was a trip of a lifetime. Or at least I thought it was. :)

• 1 month later...

@BirdTravels I can’t thank you enough for such a wonderful review of your Alaskan cruise on the Encore. We are booked in July same trip and your well written review along with all the pictures have made planning so much easier. Novice cruisers only our 4 cruise overall 2 on NCL, first NCL was Haven so spoiled and this cruise we decided on aft balcony. The prices are just 2 high and traveling with other friends who are balcony also. I have been reading all I can and have booked both the thermal spa as well as vibe to try to get some more private areas, since I am sure we will have a lot of children on the cruise in July. Thanks again, can’t wait to read about more of your adventures.