*LIVE* From the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska with Glacier Bay 9/03/2023

BirdTravels

3 minutes ago, amygutman said:

@BirdTravels we splurged for the DOS 18100....a reunion for our family with friends from London and Bermuda. They've never been on a cruise before, none of us have been to Alaska and I think we are about to ruin them for life! Will look out for Lyster, and am so glad you had a wonderful time yourself. Have been loving your posts for the longest time, but especially this one!

Safe Travels, Warmest Amy

Have a great cruise!  

There were 300+ people from Hawaii on the cruise last week. Several different, unrelated school reunion groups. One of the people from the Kamehameha School Class of 71/72 was in that suite last week. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nhtravels said:

Would you recommend the 1st week of September for Alaska (weather wise)?  DH doesn't like to travel in July or August as that's prime lake season for us, so considering early September or early June.

3 years ago we went first week in Sept and the weather was glorious...we were swimming in the pool in the afternoons...went the same time last year and it rained everyday...and the day at Dawes glacier was cancelled because it was so foggy...there are no guarantees with the weather.

Thanks so much for the thorough review! We are two weeks away from sailing this same ship/itinerary. and this has helped immensely in our preparation. 

Question about Skagway, if you please. Are excursion shuttles allowed on the pier, or do you have take the free shuttle to the end to meet your group? We are doing an early, non-NCL excursion and want to make sure we have time to meet them.

Many Thanks!

12 minutes ago, rhinoman said:

Thanks so much for the thorough review! We are two weeks away from sailing this same ship/itinerary. and this has helped immensely in our preparation. 

Question about Skagway, if you please. Are excursion shuttles allowed on the pier, or do you have take the free shuttle to the end to meet your group? We are doing an early, non-NCL excursion and want to make sure we have time to meet them.

Many Thanks!

You catch the cruise ship shuttle to the end of the pier where the shore ex buses/shuttles pick you up.

If you have ever been the Skagway, the shore ex pick up is in the same parking lot location at the end of the pier,,,  just need to wait in line to catch the pier shuttle. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Any pictures of the Vibe?

No. You can look into the Vibe from the Haven sundeck and a lot of time, it wasn't set up. Even on Glacier Bay day (which it would be a perfect location for glacier watching), there were only a handful of people in there. Too cold and windy most of the cruise. 

1 hour ago, Magsthecapp said:

Thanks for this awesome review. It's getting me excited for our trip next month. 

One question, how strict were they with the Haven sundeck age limit on glacier Bay day? We're sailing with our 8 year old and want to know what to plan for. 

The sundeck is open to all Haven guests (all ages) on Embarkation Day and Glacier Bay Day.

There were 220 Haven guests last week. 20 "young" cruisers. On Glacier Bay day, the kids on our cruise seemed to be more interested in sitting in the hot tub (yeah, it was in the low 50's) than watching scenery. But they jumped out, got into warmer clothes for the main glacier watching. 

Even though the Haven sundeck is the absolute best place to see the glacier, The Bird strongly recommends making a trip to the Deck 8 bow (entrance near the District Brewhouse) just to say you did it. The railings are high, so not the best for an 8 year old, but still fun to do at some point during the morning. 

Have a wonderful cruise! 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You catch the cruise ship shuttle to the end of the pier where the shore ex buses/shuttles pick you up.

If you have ever been the Skagway, the shore ex pick up is in the same parking lot location at the end of the pier,,,  just need to wait in line to catch the pier shuttle. 

Thanks. It's that last sentence that concerns me. Your picture of the shuttle line worries me that I won’t be able to make a 7:30 excursion with a 7:00 arrival. 

11 minutes ago, rhinoman said:

Thanks. It's that last sentence that concerns me. Your picture of the shuttle line worries me that I won’t be able to make a 7:30 excursion with a 7:00 arrival. 

9 minutes ago, depplep said:

We have the NCL excursion in Skagway. Can we walk to the end of the pier or do we have to take the shuttle?

Unfortunately, due to the repeated rock slides, the port requires that you take the shuttles and not walk on the dock. That's 4000 passengers,,, 20 passengers at a time in a shuttle. 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, at least there are shuttles. The ship in the first position on the dock has to tender its passengers the 100 yards beyond the slide area. 

Note: Our NCL Shore Ex ticket advised to "Allow 45 minutes for the Shuttle" to get from ship to the shore ex pick-up point. 

Edited by BirdTravels

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unfortunately, due to the repeated rock slides, the port requires that you take the shuttles and not walk on the dock. That's 4000 passengers,,, 20 passengers at a time in a shuttle. 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, at least there are shuttles. The ship in the first position on the dock has to tender its passengers the 100 yards beyond the slide area. 

Note: Our NCL Shore Ex ticket advised to allow at least 45 minutes to get from ship to the shore ex pick-up point. 

In other words it sounds like there is not priority boarding of shuttles for those who have NCL shore excursions booked.

9 minutes ago, depplep said:

Bird, we have a 3pm flight and paid for transfers through NCL, do you see any benefit to us using the airport check in for our luggage? I don't know if we can do an excursion of Seattle as it says for flights leaving after 3pm. 

So, The Bird does everything possible to avoid standing in another line. So, The Birds use the Port Valet to transfer bags from our stateroom to our home airport, skipping the airport check-in line (Port Valet checks-in your bags for you and gives you your boarding passes).

If you can find a post-cruise ShoreEx, you can cancel your transfer. 

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, The Bird does everything possible to avoid standing in another line. So, The Birds use the Port Valet to transfer bags from our stateroom to our home airport, skipping the airport check-in line (Port Valet checks-in your bags for you and gives you your boarding passes).

If you can find a post-cruise ShoreEx, you can cancel your transfer. 

Thank you, I will look into this. I really don't want to spend all day at the airport.