A Little News on the Ft. Amador Cruise Terminal

BillB48

Unfortunately it is just that, a little news.  A friend of mine sent me an article in Spanish from one of the local news outlets detailing an announcement from the Panama Marine Authority (AMP).  This is the government authority that oversees the ports as opposed to the agency that runs the Canal, the Panama Canal Authority (ACP).

The article states that Sept. 1 marks the beginning of the third season of operation of the terminal.  I think most of us Canal cruise watchers would say it is more like the third season for the pier with the terminal building opening to follow!  Key takeaways from the article...

Presently AMP has 49 reservations for cruise ships, serving 83,000 passengers

An in transit passenger is expected to spend approximate $100.

A passenger embarking or disembarking from a cruise is expected to donate about $350.

Total income for the Panamanian economy $11.5 million.

Accompanying the article was the following picture...

image.jpeg.3e625b0324cf51e60b9b8aa334110918.jpeg

Photo Credit AMP

Don't have any idea of the date of the photo, however whenever it was taken there is still quite a bit of work to be completed shore side.  I suspect it is an older stock photo.  Maybe things are further along... hopefully anyway.

Edited by BillB48

Here is a screen grab of the cruise terminal from a video on FB of an approach to Gelabert Int. Airport (PAC) which is the former Albrook AFB.  Looks to me while the terminal building appears complete there is no way of knowing how functional the terminal is.  There doesn't appear to be any supporting infrastructure such roads, parking lots completed yet.  The poster said it was taken recently.

image.thumb.png.d15a84717f9ce49d5e46874e7fe46cc9.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little more in the little news department... My contact sent me a link to a report from a local news outlet.  Basically the local tourist industry is unhappy with all the unfulfilled promises concerning the completion of the Amador Cruise Terminal.  The Panama Marine Authority (AMP) who is overseeing the development of the Terminal had promised it would be ready by Sept. 23.  It now looks like that has shifted to sometime in December.  They are also complaining that the pier is being used to moor ships that are undergoing repairs which they assert may be adding to the delay in completing the terminal.

Here's the link to the article, it is in Spanish, but Google does a good job.

https://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/judicial/talleres-de-barcos-se-toman-el-puerto-de-cruceros-de-amador-1221599

• Thanks 1

Interesting.

One claim made is "the tourist season is over".  Ha Ha, What?

Ruby Princess already in Cabo is scheduled there for 1 Nov, and NCL Encore is scheduled for 12 Nov.

Although there are gaps in the schedule, the main tourist season is really just beginning. with the dry season coming.

The only thing I can add is perhaps they are having concerns about sending a load of passengers ashore since many parts of the country have been beset with massive demonstrations and roadblocks on some of the major arteries.  The Canal is operating normally for most the most part.

To late for an edit, I went looking for the Ruby on AIS and had a difficult time locating her.  Finally found her anchored in the anchorage reserved for hazardous cargo which is near the island of Taboga where she has a bunker vessel along side.  Think it is safe to assume shore excursions are a no go for today.

41 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

The only thing I can add is perhaps they are having concerns about sending a load of passengers ashore since many parts of the country have been beset with massive demonstrations and roadblocks on some of the major arteries.  The Canal is operating normally for most the most part.

Local issues or result of Israel-Gaza situation?

I have heard similar for Guatemala, but that is local, not world politics.

Local issues, the government has inked a new and rather lucrative contract with a Canadian copper mining company.  The company and the mine have been operating in a remote region on the Atlantic side for some time.  The government has granted some privileges to the company that much of the public is against and this is what has caused the uproar.  I honestly don't how much can be attributed to the various political factions jockeying for position for next years presidential (Panama) elections.

Do you have any idea how soon we will know if we are a go for our NCL Joy Nov 25th panama canal transit?  Cutting from the already reduced number of ships allowed per day from 31 to 25 due to the drought.  Assuming cruise ships will be on the cutting block ahead of cargo ships.  I looked at the Panama Canal Authority site and did not see named ships, only number of ships.

Cruise ships have reservations for their transit as well as many cargo ships secure their transit with a reservation.  Most of the reduction of available transits have come from the elimination of slots that are not reserved.

I am sure there are a number of worried meteorologists and Canal officials looking at the upcoming Dry Season, things are not at a point where your Nov 25th transit is in jeopardy... enjoy!

2 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Local issues, the government has inked a new and rather lucrative contract with a Canadian copper mining company.  The company and the mine have been operating in a remote region on the Atlantic side for some time.  The government has granted some privileges to the company that much of the public is against and this is what has caused the uproar.  I honestly don't how much can be attributed to the various political factions jockeying for position for next years presidential (Panama) elections.

Thanks!

I will track it now for our December crossing.

What part of the Panhandle are you from?  We are cruising the Norwegian Joy on Nov 25 - Dec 6 through the canal and ending at Fuerte Amador.

We're from Panama City (FL)!  We will be in Panama City, Panama and Panama City, FL on the same day! (hopefully...LOL)  I'm nervous because our flight is a little early for my tastes

2 hours ago, jeffregpuck said:

What part of the Panhandle are you from?  We are cruising the Norwegian Joy on Nov 25 - Dec 6 through the canal and ending at Fuerte Amador.

We're from Panama City (FL)!  We will be in Panama City, Panama and Panama City, FL on the same day! (hopefully...LOL)  I'm nervous because our flight is a little early for my tastes

Pensacola area, sort of close, compared to Miami.

Doing a full transit in Dec. Leaving 2 days early, so no travel concerns.