Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

13 hours ago, NE John said:

Ask questions on Cunard Board, no one bites!

This is bit ambiguous.  When I first read it, I thought you meant no one bites on your questions (i.e., no one answers).    But after consideration, I think you probably mean that no one is mean or angry.

Edited by Petersonfcu
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Petersonfcu said:

This is bit ambiguous.  When I first read it, I thought you meant no bites on your questions (i.e., no one answers).    But after consideration, I think you probably mean that no one is mean or angry.

Correct. There are some cranky comments on the Cunard site about the dress code (mine included…) but most posters (me included) there are very helpful and willing to share their years of Cunard knowledge to those who ask questions. 
A vast majority of pax who go on Cunard go onboard to participate in the more formal dress code and Gala nights. The scene onboard is more “British” and quiet but certainly not snobby. 
Btw, I have never seen anyone check in wearing a tux! 

• Like 8

On 10/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, jam19872016 said:

Instead, I see people already dressed in their formal wear. Formal wear....to board a cruise.

On 10/9/2023 at 7:56 PM, jam19872016 said:

Turkey and apricot wellington 755.

On 10/9/2023 at 8:24 PM, jam19872016 said:

Mustard crusted roast sirloin of beef and pink roasted breast of duck 822

Hello, another visitor from the Cunard boards....

Glad you seem to be enjoying it so far.

Do you mean folk were wearing tux suits and bow ties to board or just jackets and ties, as some do in Europe?

What's the 755 & 822 about? Is it serving times?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Thoughts of Dunkin Donuts…

I have seldom found ship donuts to be as good as they look.  On MSC they are okay if you are in withdrawal but their sticky buns are to die for.  EM

When I was a kid, there was a bakery in the little town. My mom would go in to buy a sticky bun, and he'd pressure her to buy his bread. Didnt work. She was an amazing money manager.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, D&N said:

Yes, those are the serving times. Took 30 mins between the appetizer and main course. My goodness. I didn't realize until you highlighted it. 

• Like 3

@jam19872016 Hello from another Cunarder! It has taken several cups of coffee to read your wonderful postings. We’re doing this cruise in June of 2025 and I really appreciated your posts re. Barcelona. As @NE John pointed out, we are generally a pretty nice group, just avoid the conversations around dress. Now that a link has been provided, thank you @Host Hattie, you’ll probably see more people joining you on your adventures. Thanks again!

• Like 9

Who would have thought there’d be a great link between the Carnival and Cunard boards?

Carnival and Cunard pax have very different views of how to dress for dinner, and both views “suit” each audience. It’s like reading a report by people from two different planets…”Why would you wear a tux?” “Why would you wear shorts?”  All good. 

To our OP, please try to participate in a Gala night. You may not like it, but if you’re on a Cunard ship, give it a shot. 

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @jam19872016🙂🍔🙂

Oh my!! Now that's a burger! Mouthwatering! 

And a terrific looking roll.

Looks yummy delish! How was it?

💃🍹💃

The burger was good. Nice and thick and well cooked but even though Guy's is much thinner, I preferred guys.

The fries were not good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

The burger was good. Nice and thick and well cooked but even though Guy's is much thinner, I preferred guys.

The fries were not good.

Usually the Pub serves proper chips and not thinner fries. The chips are top shelf. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NE John said:

Usually the Pub serves proper chips and not thinner fries. The chips are top shelf. 

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Proper chips with fish but fries with the burger, I guess you could ask for chips with the burger!

If I get it again that's what I'm going to do. The chips were amazing. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Same.

But we are docked. Just docked outside the main town as the ship is too large. To get to town, we board a boat that shuttles us...by water. 

Its complimentary so not sure water taxi would work.

I think this might be OK to call a water shuttle 🤔.

If I'm reading it correctly, I still can't wear shorts in there after 6. Am I mistaken? That would be a great choice.

No shorts after 6pm, but jeans are fine! 

I’ve included the golden lion dinner sample menu as well 🙂 

IMG_3804.png

IMG_3805.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NE John said:

Correct. There are some cranky comments on the Cunard site about the dress code (mine included…) but most posters (me included) there are very helpful and willing to share their years of Cunard knowledge to those who ask questions. 
A vast majority of pax who go on Cunard go onboard to participate in the more formal dress code and Gala nights. The scene onboard is more “British” and quiet but certainly not snobby. 
Btw, I have never seen anyone check in wearing a tux! 

Agree, I haven't felt there is any snobbish behavior that I've witnessed and I love the quiet. The fun ships may be fun, but they are also loud 😆

Not knowing what to expect and not being someone who dresses for any occasion the over emphasis on what a person is wearing was certainly intimidating going in but not a big deal not that I'm experiencing it.

Still not sure I could do Gala night though 😅.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, D&N said:

Hello, another visitor from the Cunard boards....

Glad you seem to be enjoying it so far.

Do you mean folk were wearing tux suits and bow ties to board or just jackets and ties, as some do in Europe?

Jackets and ties. I'm sure in European culture it's not an unusual sight but to my American eyes it stood out as odd.

It was a minority for sure but I highlighted it to contrast the different experience to a typical boarding day on Carnival. 

You could expect many groups in matching shirts. T-shirts warning you they bought the drink package or proclaiming that they were ready to get ship faced.

I saw one T-shirt. Exactly one. And it was tame, something about lifting sushi rolls was his only form of exercise 🤷‍♂️.  

Most wore a polo. Even I wore a polo. I NEVER wear polos to board a ship. That's elegant night dress for me 😆

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, PayneAS said:

Yes, those are the serving times. Took 30 mins between the appetizer and main course. My goodness. I didn't realize until you highlighted it. 

Indeed it was a long wait. I didn't highlight it because it was the first night. The trouble was several tables were seated at the same time and while I only ate one appetizer, the tables near me enjoyed a soup/salad course. 

It happens too frequently on cruises and it drives me crazy. It's easier on the crew but honestly i would expect better from Cunard. 

Tonight was just slow, they were slammed for sure. But i could see my servers surveying their section and purposly never looking my direction. This happened several times. 

We also finished our appetizers. Sat for about five minutes with a cleared table. The waiter came back, took the dessert order for the table next to us. Came back a few minutes later with their dessert and took several more minutes to return with my next course. 

It's still early and I will reserve judgment but so far while the food as been excellent, the service has been a little disorganized. 

3 hours ago, techteach said:

@jam19872016 Hello from another Cunarder! It has taken several cups of coffee to read your wonderful postings. We’re doing this cruise in June of 2025 and I really appreciated your posts re. Barcelona. As @NE John pointed out, we are generally a pretty nice group, just avoid the conversations around dress. Now that a link has been provided, thank you @Host Hattie, you’ll probably see more people joining you on your adventures. Thanks again!

I had my best day yet for views! I may or may not be keeping a spreadsheet with the daily post and view count 😆. I really appreciate all the readership and commentary, makes the trip even more enjoyable. 

• Like 13