Is Sherry available on board?

Ace_Caliente

18 hours ago, Veinless said:

What do they do if you bring it onboard without “smuggling”? Just confiscate and return post-cruise?

I would think a bottle of port is going to appear to be just another bottle of wine and probably wouldn't be detected nor run afoul of the carry-on policy.  They may see sherry as a liquor.  In any case, if you have it with you, the WORST that can happen is they will keep it to end of voyage.  It's not going to be confiscated and enjoyed by the security staff.

Now I can't get that song out of my head!

On the subject of sherry, my Nana always had a decanter of Harvey's Bristol Cream and glasses set out on a silver tray on the sideboard. Glasses were poured for the adults late afternoon, before dinner (or tea as we called it).
When I first married, I thought this the adult way and bought a bottle of sherry and did the same. Ugh. Horrible stuff. That bottle stayed full a long time; couldn't give it away.
I never drink sherry but we love a glass of Sandeman's port instead of dessert in the MDR. Really disappointed when there was none on our last cruise.

This thread also makes me think of my dad. He was partial to Commandaria after a military posting to Cyprus. I bought a bottle whilst on a European cruise with my parents back in 2010. We had a glass each at sail away out on the deck. Is a lovely memory as he passed on a from sudden illness a few months after that.

3 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

Now I can't get that song out of my head!

On the subject of sherry, my Nana always had a decanter of Harvey's Bristol Cream and glasses set out on a silver tray on the sideboard. Glasses were poured for the adults late afternoon, before dinner (or tea as we called it).
When I first married, I thought this the adult way and bought a bottle of sherry and did the same. Ugh. Horrible stuff. That bottle stayed full a long time; couldn't give it away.
I never drink sherry but we love a glass of Sandeman's port instead of dessert in the MDR. Really disappointed when there was none on our last cruise.

This thread also makes me think of my dad. He was partial to Commandaria after a military posting to Cyprus. I bought a bottle whilst on a European cruise with my parents back in 2010. We had a glass each at sail away out on the deck. Is a lovely memory as he passed on a from sudden illness a few months after that.

Harvey’s Bristol Cream is a sweet concoction much loved by elderly ladies, served in tiny little glasses (presumably because that’s quite enough thank you).  Fino, manzanilla, oloroso are a world away from that and are delicious.  It might be my mission now to convert the citizens of Los Estados Unidos to sherry drinking!

You brought back a memory with Commandario.  Years ago we went to Cyprus with my elderly mother and she discovered this brew and insisted on taking a bottle home because it was much cheaper than Harvey’s!  

11 minutes ago, teenieleek said:

Harvey’s Bristol Cream is a sweet concoction much loved by elderly ladies, served in tiny little glasses (presumably because that’s quite enough thank you).  Fino, manzanilla, oloroso are a world away from that and are delicious.  It might be my mission now to convert the citizens of Los Estados Unidos to sherry drinking!

You brought back a memory with Commandario.  Years ago we went to Cyprus with my elderly mother and she discovered this brew and insisted on taking a bottle home because it was much cheaper than Harvey’s!  

I was trying to be polite to the OP, but I do associate sherry with old ladies, lol.

We're British, now living in Canada, and if I see any of the above on our cruise from Vancouver later this month, I will try (pre dinner) and report back!

3 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

I was trying to be polite to the OP, but I do associate sherry with old ladies, lol.

We're British, now living in Canada, and if I see any of the above on our cruise from Vancouver later this month, I will try (pre dinner) and report back!

Great, must be chilled….and a decent amount!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I would think a bottle of port is going to appear to be just another bottle of wine and probably wouldn't be detected nor run afoul of the carry-on policy.  They may see sherry as a liquor.  In any case, if you have it with you, the WORST that can happen is they will keep it to end of voyage.  It's not going to be confiscated and enjoyed by the security staff.

Now I wonder about barleywine... lol

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:53 PM, Ace_Caliente said:

Is there sherry available on board? I looked up some of the menus for Vines etc and couldn't find sherry, though to be fair I may have been looking in the wrong place. I also did a search on the forum here and the posts seemed to be discussing bringing sherry onboard and not ordering it. Thanks

It's funny that they don't have sherry. On our trip in May I was asking the bartender what types of whiskey they had and he said it was too many kinds to mention. Maybe you should switch to bourbon or scotch! 🙂