Is Sherry available on board?

Ace_Caliente

Is there sherry available on board? I looked up some of the menus for Vines etc and couldn't find sherry, though to be fair I may have been looking in the wrong place. I also did a search on the forum here and the posts seemed to be discussing bringing sherry onboard and not ordering it. Thanks

11 minutes ago, Ace_Caliente said:

Is there sherry available on board? I looked up some of the menus for Vines etc and couldn't find sherry, though to be fair I may have been looking in the wrong place. I also did a search on the forum here and the posts seemed to be discussing bringing sherry onboard and not ordering it. Thanks

You probably need the after dinner drink menu from the MDR. I have seen sherry on that menu

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I've certainly had a port or two after dinner.

There was no port anywhere on the Coral Princess much to my husband's chagrin on a 28 day cruise in April.  He lived in perpetual hope and didn't give up asking for it and our waiters and bar staff just shook their heads each time.

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

There was no port anywhere on the Coral Princess much to my husband's chagrin on a 28 day cruise in April.  He lived in perpetual hope and didn't give up asking for it and our waiters and bar staff just shook their heads each time.

Wow. I hope that isn't the case on my next cruise.

48 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Weird. I have always seen it on the MDR after dinner drinks menu. I've ordered it a couple of times. Other than that MDR menu though I don't recall ever seeing any port listed.

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Weird. I have always seen it on the MDR after dinner drinks menu. I've ordered it a couple of times. Other than that MDR menu though I don't recall ever seeing any port listed.

That's where I know it from.

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Port was on bar and MDR menus all around the ship but there wasn't an ounce to be had to drink.  My DH would see an MDR menu describing a dish 'with port reduction' and ask where they were getting the port to reduce?  The question did make us wonder.

• Like 1

Port is entirely different to sherry.  The OP asked about sherry which is a pre-dinner drink, port is a post-prandial drink.  I do hope Princess ships, especially those sailing from Southampton, have fino and manzanilla at a minimum.  I will report back in October.  They will be getting serious whines from me if there’s none!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, teenieleek said:

Port is entirely different to sherry.  The OP asked about sherry which is a pre-dinner drink, port is a post-prandial drink.  I do hope Princess ships, especially those sailing from Southampton, have fino and manzanilla at a minimum.  I will report back in October.  They will be getting serious whines from me if there’s none!

Sorry, I was responding about the lack of port onboard in a earlier comment. I should have added they did have sherry on the Sapphire in May. They tried to offer us it instead of port, claiming it was the same thing. Um no. Can't remember the brand.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Veinless said:

What do they do if you bring it onboard without “smuggling”? Just confiscate and return post-cruise?

No if smoggier it is usually destroyed. Or at least that is what they say they will do

50 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

Sorry, I was responding about the lack of port onboard in a earlier comment. I should have added they did have sherry on the Sapphire in May. They tried to offer us it instead of port, claiming it was the same thing. Um no. Can't remember the brand.

This shows the level of knowledge regarding the offerings. I like port. A good port is a pleasure after dinner. I do not like Sherry and, even if I did, I don't see it as an after dinner drink. 

I have to congratulate @teenieleek for use of "Postprandial" above (although it isn't actually hyphenated). I do love folks with a good vocabulary. I hesitate to use terms of this sort here as they are generally not understood. I grew up reading rather than watching television - at least until Star Trek came out. At that time I took it upon myself to pull the tubes and get my mom to take me down to the local Safeway grocery store to test them and replace the tubes that were bad. (The stores used to have tube testers and spare tubes. These days they may have a video rental kiosk.) All those years without a working TV really helped to improve my vocabulary. 😁 (I still read constantly. We do watch some movies and such on streaming services but haven't watched "regular" TV for a good 40 years or so.)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I had to check who OP was.  My first thought.... Frasier & Niles

Cheers

Wow. That went right on over my head. Had to look it up to see what you were talking about. (We don't watch "regular" TV so I'm uneducated regarding that subject. 🤪)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

This shows the level of knowledge regarding the offerings. I like port. A good port is a pleasure after dinner. I do not like Sherry and, even if I did, I don't see it as an after dinner drink. 

I have to congratulate @teenieleek for use of "Postprandial" above (although it isn't actually hyphenated). I do love folks with a good vocabulary. I hesitate to use terms of this sort here as they are generally not understood. I grew up reading rather than watching television - at least until Star Trek came out. At that time I took it upon myself to pull the tubes and get my mom to take me down to the local Safeway grocery store to test them and replace the tubes that were bad. (The stores used to have tube testers and spare tubes. These days they may have a video rental kiosk.) All those years without a working TV really helped to improve my vocabulary. 😁 (I still read constantly. We do watch some movies and such on streaming services but haven't watched "regular" TV for a good 40 years or so.)

😂 I’m laughing because I can’t work out if you’re taking the p**s (good vocab there), being sarcastic or just nitpicking about hyphenation.  I’m discombobulated!  (I understand there’s an ointment for that).  However, I do like sherry as an aperitif and learned all about it on a bodega tour in Jerez.  Do try chilled manzanilla, it is delicious. Cheers!  

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
On 9/6/2023 at 2:40 AM, BlerkOne said:

I've certainly had a port or two after dinner.

I thought that a port or two was compulsory on a cruise... you know, they are the places where you get off for the day 😉 

On 9/6/2023 at 12:12 PM, capriccio said:

They must have run out. Coral definitely had Sandemans port last year, possibly in the Good Spirits Bar.