Disembark Falmouth

redwave

If an oasis class ship or larger is scheduled to arrive at around 7am how long does the disembarkation process at this port generally take and does this port have other royal ships at the same time?

At busier traffic times how long can the ride from port to ocho rios take?

ty 

22 minutes ago, redwave said:

If an oasis class ship or larger is scheduled to arrive at around 7am how long does the disembarkation process at this port generally take and does this port have other royal ships at the same time?

At busier traffic times how long can the ride from port to ocho rios take?

ty 

I once went from Ochos Rios to Rose Hall and that took an hour and twenty minutes so I would estimate about an hour and ten minutes on a bus. Horrible ride. The bus driver drove like a maniac on a bad road. 

Oasis class would probably clear around 7:30. I have been there on Oasis class there. The port had another ship the same time every time I was there but it was not always a Royal ship. Sometimes Princess, Celebrity and Disney was the other ship. 

Edited by Charles4515

43 minutes ago, redwave said:

If we have five hours, disembark at nine return at two, and we’d like to do two stops, a waterfall and a beach that has snorkeling from the shore what would you recommend? Ty

I would recommend Blue Hole in Ochos Rios for waterfalls. There is Dunns River Falls but it is basically fake. A tourist trap. I don’t have a snorkeling beach to recommend but there are some. I just never did it from a beach at Ochos, we went out on a boat. In the other direction near Montego Bay there is Doctors Cove for a beach and snorkeling but you would have to do without the waterfalls. 

Edited by Charles4515

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I once went from Ochos Rios to Rose Hall and that took an hour and twenty minutes so I would estimate about an hour and ten minutes on a bus. Horrible ride. The bus driver drove like a maniac on a bad road. 

Oasis class would probably clear around 7:30. I have been there on Oasis class there. The port had another ship the same time every time I was there but it was not always a Royal ship. Sometimes Princess, Celebrity and Disney was the other ship. 

We will be going to Rose Hall from Falmouth next week and I’m assuming this would be a shorter drive than from Ochos Rios. When we get off the ship can you tell me how far a walk it is to get to the gate where we meet our transportation?

9 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

We will be going to Rose Hall from Falmouth next week and I’m assuming this would be a shorter drive than from Ochos Rios. When we get off the ship can you tell me how far a walk it is to get to the gate where we meet our transportation?

A much shorter drive. Don’t worry about the drive from Falmouth to Rose Hall. I would consider it a little longer than a short walk but not a long walk. You have to walk through the area they built with shops and restaurants. They have designed it so you can’t avoid the shops. 

Edited by Charles4515

When I did an excursion to Dunn River Falls which is in Ocho Rios it took about 50 minutes to get there. We left at 8:30 got to the falls and had a quick lunch stop on the way back and was back at the port by 2:30. When we were there on Oasis, a Disney Ship (The Magic) pulled in about 15 minutes after us. 

Edited by bigque

2 minutes ago, bigque said:

When I did an excursion to Dunn River Falls which is in Ocho Rios it took about 50 minutes to get there. We left at 8:30 got to the falls and had a quick lunch stop on the way back and was back at the port by 2:30. 

I am sure they could do Dunn River or Blue Hole but adding a snorkeling stop seems like a stretch. They sound like they might be planning a DIY which you can do. There is a transportation center at Falmouth where you you can get taxis and other transport. I took a picture of what thay had which is on my cloud somewhere I will look for it and post it this afternoon if I can find it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

A much shorter drive. Don’t worry about the drive from Falmouth to Rose Hall. I would consider it a little longer than a short walk but not a long walk. You have to walk through the area they built with shops and restaurants. They have designed it so you can’t avoid the shops. 

Hi there… I was particularly interested in how long the walk is when you get off the ship to the gate where I have to meet my transportation. Thanks

Doing DIY a and will have pre arranged van waiting for us. 
how long is the walk from the drop off spot to dunns river and how long is the walk from drop off to blue hole?

due to the timing constraints might make decision based on that. 
Ty 

Be very careful in Jamaica when booking your own excursions.  Here's a recent video by veteran cruisers.  We only left the port area one time on an excursion (out of several visits) and won't do it again.

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

Hi there… I was particularly interested in how long the walk is when you get off the ship to the gate where I have to meet my transportation. Thanks

I tend to underestmate distances since while I am a senior I walk 3 or 4 miles a day so hopefully someone else will comment on the distance.

24 minutes ago, BND said:

Be very careful in Jamaica when booking your own excursions.  Here's a recent video by veteran cruisers.  We only left the port area one time on an excursion (out of several visits) and won't do it again.

I have been to Falmouth a number of times and I don't think it is a risky port. If you go into the old town through the gate there will be men soliciting for drugs but just say no.if you go there. I went once to experience it. I advise staying in the tourist trap port area and no one will bother you. The pickup area for DIY excursions is not in the old town. At sites like Dunns Falls or Blue Hole there may be some people trying to solicit. Just ignore them. I believe the Youtubers are exaggerating the situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redwave said:

If we have arranged our own excursions with third party tour operators in the past in Cozumel and belize, is Jamaica different where we will not be able to find reliable trustworthy third party tour operators?

You can find reliable and trustworthy third party tour operators. Just do due diligence. Read reviews on the Jamaica Cruise Critic board and on TripAdvisor. I usually do my own excursions. That said  if I was going as far as Ochos Rios I would do a cruise line excursion because of the distance and that windy road. 

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have been to Falmouth a number of times and I don't think it is a risky port. If you go into the old town through the gate there will be men soliciting for drugs but just say no.if you go there. I went once to experience it. I advise staying in the tourist trap port area and no one will bother you. The pickup area for DIY excursions is not in the old town. At sites like Dunns Falls or Blue Hole there may be some people trying to solicit. Just ignore them. I believe the Youtubers are exaggerating the situation.

And, the State Dept?  I've heard multiple stories over the years about Jamaica.  BTW, this is not the only youtube video discussing the topic.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Not a fan of this port at all!!  Way too sketchy if you go outside the port gates.

Last cruise had a fellow passenger who worked for the NYC police dept.  We tried to warn him but he said he had seen it all and he and his family would be fine.  They lasted less than 10 min outside the gates. He came and found us and said “you were right….I should never have taken my family out there”.

So go at your own risk and if you have no problems…great!  But if you do…..you have been warned!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BND said:

And, the State Dept?  I've heard multiple stories over the years about Jamaica.  BTW, this is not the only youtube video discussing the topic.  

It is risky if you go to Kingston and some other areas but not to Dunn River falls or Blue Hole. or Rose Hall. Look at the places where the cruise line excursion go. The cruise line would not have excursions there if it was unsafe. The fake Falmouthport area is not unsafe either. It is gated. There are areas in New York, Washington DC and Baltimore that are unsafe that does not mean the whole US is unsafe although some of my Canadian relatives won't come to visit any more....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is risky if you go to Kingston and some other areas but not to Dunn River falls or Blue Hole. or Rose Hall. Look at the places where the cruise line excursion go. The cruise line would not have excursions there if it was unsafe. The fake Falmouthport area is not unsafe either. It is gated. There are areas in New York, Washington DC and Baltimore that are unsafe that does not mean the whole US is unsafe although some of my Canadian relatives won't come to visit any more....

Okay, whatever.  And, we know the unsafe areas in DC as we grew up here.  Jamaica as a whole has major crime issues, but you believe what you want.  I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but giving info to everyone.  You seem to feel like you need to convince everyone of your opinion.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Not a fan of this port at all!!  Way too sketchy if you go outside the port gates.

Last cruise had a fellow passenger who worked for the NYC police dept.  We tried to warn him but he said he had seen it all and he and his family would be fine.  They lasted less than 10 min outside the gates. He came and found us and said “you were right….I should never have taken my family out there”.

So go at your own risk and if you have no problems…great!  But if you do…..you have been warned!!

There is no problem in the fake Falmouth port area. There are gates to the real Falmouth which I advise the typical tourist not to visit. And the only Jamaicans that can get in are vetted workers. I have been in the real Falmouthand there are police every few feet and i wanted to see it but once was enough.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Okay, whatever.  And, we know the unsafe areas in DC as we grew up here.  Jamaica as a whole has major crime issues, but you believe what you want.  I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but giving info to everyone.  You seem to feel like you need to convince everyone of your opinion.

I am just countering hysteria. 

• Haha 1