Noordam or Nieuw Amsterdam for Alaska?

torybruno

We are 3 couples, early 60's.  Neither of the other couples have been to Alaska.  If we were to choose HAL, which ship would be superior, and why?  We are also considering Princess, but have not been on either in a long while.  Also planning some DIY land excursions before boarding in Whittier or Seward.

THank you in advance! 

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

N. Amsterdam is the newer ship, with more dining and entertainment venues. That being said, I would look at the itinerary first, not so much the ship. Both hit Glacier Bay? Either hit both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier?

same exact itinerary, both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier

Have been on both ships - they are built on the same platform - some minor differences but you will like both. I found the NA to have a lighter colour palette - really shines on sunny days. My recent Noordam Alaska (12/14 days cloudy and rainy and foggy), the darker colours seemed more suitable - obviously just a personal opinion. And I really liked the model of the 1938 NA in the Crows Nest of NA. Both have the walk around promenade and abundance of open deck space.

Agree with CruiserBruce - make your decision based on itinerary.

1 hour ago, torybruno said:

We are 3 couples, early 60's.  Neither of the other couples have been to Alaska.  If we were to choose HAL, which ship would be superior, and why?  We are also considering Princess, but have not been on either in a long while.  Also planning some DIY land excursions before boarding in Whittier or Seward.

THank you in advance! 

BTW - I truly enjoyed Whittier - the most random of ports. Take the time to walk around and speak with the year round locals. I learned so much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Noordam does not have Tamarind and the interiors are not as modern looking

@SilvertoGold - you are 100% correct - I forgot about Tamarind - one extra specialty restaurant. The Tamarind and accompanying bar is one thing I did miss on Noordam. Price and itinerary being equal, NA is the one to choose.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Noordam does not have Tamarind and the interiors are not as modern looking

Yes I have to agree. Certain areas like the Pinnacle Grill and Billboard bar on Noordam are very modern, while other spots - while nice - and spotless- do appear dated.

• Like 1

Does Princess have the 360 wrap around deck and the sliding glass dome Lido pool area, for toasting viewing the passing scene that either HAL ship offers?

One other consideration is the timing of cruise ship schedules - who will you be sharing ports with - lots of other ships or fewer other ships. Do both run Sunday to Sunday?  Takes a little work to find this port schedule information, but can make or break a close selection of ships or cruise lines.

I would go with HAL over Princess for the simple reason that they open the bow and the front of descks 5, 6, and 7 for scenic viewing. Other than the Queen Elizabeth / Victoria, I am not sure of any other ships that have this feature. Plus the deck three walk around on the older ships with the traditional wooden deck chairs can’t be beat.

On the White Horse Skagway train I was speaking with a couple from Dubai who asked about the HAL /Princess comparison - I told them that all of the open decks was a game changer. I saw the the next day on the bow in Glacier Bay, and they said that this aspect was truly the highlight of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

I would go with HAL over Princess for the simple reason that they open the bow and the front of descks 5, 6, and 7 for scenic viewing. Other than the Queen Elizabeth / Victoria, I am not sure of any other ships that have this feature. Plus the deck three walk around on the older ships with the traditional wooden deck chairs can’t be beat.

On the White Horse Skagway train I was speaking with a couple from Dubai who asked about the HAL /Princess comparison - I told them that all of the open decks was a game changer. I saw the the next day on the bow in Glacier Bay, and they said that this aspect was truly the highlight of the cruise.

Absolutely!! Even if you have a private balcony to enjoy viewing, a peek from an open bow is fabulous!

• Like 1