Wheelchair on embarkation

AlwayzCruising

21 minutes ago, AlwayzCruising said:

We are going out of San Francisco in October… does anyone know how to obtain a wheelchair for embarkation while going through the lines and up the ramp? It won’t be needed while onboard but during embarkation and debarkation, it would be helpful…

Ask for it as soon as enter terminal I would say.  Look for Gray/Grey Lane processing.  Look for staff with blue vests and wheelchair logo on them.  This isn't about SFO terminal - it's just general advice.

• Thanks 1

There are some chairs by the entrance door for people needing wheelchair assistance. Just sit there and you will be helped. They take you through security and check in desk. Once you’re done checking in, they take you to a sitting area where a Princess worker will take you on the ship. There are chairs there too. (You will need to transfer to a ship wheelchair). We always give a tip to the people pushing my hubby in the wheelchair. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AlwayzCruising said:

We are going out of San Francisco in October… does anyone know how to obtain a wheelchair for embarkation while going through the lines and up the ramp? It won’t be needed while onboard but during embarkation and debarkation, it would be helpful…

I needed one for my mother as well, and our travel agent ordered it and it’s on our paperwork.  At the Seattle terminal there’s a special drop off point for mobility assistance passengers, there may be something like that in SF as well. 

Edited by Prost Seattle

11 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

I needed one for my mother as well, and our travel agent ordered it and it’s on our paperwork.  At the Seattle terminal there’s a special drop off point for mobility assistance passengers, there may be something like that in SF as well. 

Yes. I know we can order one to have the whole cruise, however, it’s only needed for boarding and debarking, as they can walk a little ways. Just need help to get up the ramp and on to the ship!!! I know in Long Beach, you can get some of the workers to help on Carnival, I just wanted to make sure that was the case in San Fran on Princess!!! 

2 hours ago, seamwoman said:

What about boarding with my own wheelchair?  Health challenges require a wheelchair to board and move around the ship.

I don’t know about having your own wheelchair. I’ve seen people with their own wheelchair but didn’t pay much attention to who was pushing it. I ‘think’ I’ve seen family members pushing the wheelchair, as well as port and Princess staff. Just go to the Accessible Area by the door to get into the building. There are only 2 lines into the building. Once inside there is 1 elevator to take you up to security. After you pass through security, there are people to direct you to the proper line to check in.

My hubby doesn’t need a wheelchair onboard, his rollator still works well for him. But the incline on the ramp is just too much for him. 

18 hours ago, AlwayzCruising said:

My husband requires this same assistance. We've never had an issue in any port. Always wheelchair assistance is available. Just ask.

In Vancouver, when we dropped off our luggage, the porter saw my cane and asked if I'd like a wheelchair.  I only had to wait a few minutes before one arrived.  The attendant took me all the way through customs and check-in, and up to the ship.  A ship's attendant took me over from there.  He dropped me off by the main elevator.

Very simple and painless.  BTW, I am a very generous tipper.  These people perform a much-needed service.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

you may still have to ask at the terminal as they will not have that info until you get to check in...we cruise out of San Pedro & always have our TZ note this on our booking, but then ask when we get there, now he (BIL) uses the wheeled walker until we get through check in as like others it is the long steep ramp that he can't do without the wheelchair & then switch.

• Thanks 1