Traveling from cruise terminal to Marina de la Paz

jerseygirlinAZ

We are cruising over New Year's to the Mexican Riviera.  We want to book a tour to swim with whale sharks.  We found a company that is well rated and seems eco aware.  We've been in contact with the company and things sound good, but I have some questions for the group here:

1. We dock at 8 a.m.  The tour is at 9 a.m. The tour operator says it is a 20-minute ride from the cruise terminal to Marina de la Paz. Does that sound correct?

2. Is there a way I can find out before we cruise if there is a different between ship time and La Paz time?

3. Has anyone else done a whale shark tour?  If so, would you care to share your experience?

Thanks so much!

I did the whale shark snorkeling tour with La Paz VIP tours several years ago.  I took the shuttle bus from the ship into town.  I was on Princess. I met up with the guide in town and there was one other couple that had driven over from Cabo.  So just them, me, the guide and a very nice young man driving the small boat (called a paloma). It was the best excursion I have ever taken.  I'm not a strong swimmer but ok for snorkeling. We were right us close to the whale shark and then went to another area and snorkeled with sea lions.  Absolutely wonderful.  I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

• Like 1

I've been to La Paz twice, both on Princess.  On both of our cruises, the ship's time was advanced one hour from Los Angeles time, so that the ship's time and local time were the same.  

The ship docks in the port of Pichilinque (sp??), which is about 10 miles from La Paz.  There is a free shuttle into La Paz.  The shuttle takes about 30 minutes. 

Once the ship is cleared by the Mexican authorities, a large number of passengers rush off the ship and line up for the shuttle.  I've spent 30 minutes in line for the shuttle, which meant it took an hour from getting off the ship until I was in downtown La Paz.  But I was in no rush, having no plans. 

I am concerned that if the ship docks at 8, and the excursion leaves from downtown La Paz at 9:00, you might not be able to make it unless you grab a cab instead of the free shuttle.  A cab would mean no line for the free shuttle, and a faster trip into town.  Ask your tour operator about this!

• Like 1