Ethnic restaurants

lenquixote66

Wow. Every Friday, endeavouring to try a different ethnic restaurant, from 1972 to 1997....I would be very interested to know an approximate number you have tried! I'd also be interested to know which ones you enjoyed or stood out to you and why.

If I lump the cuisines that I've tried by country, the number is not as vast as the different ethnic cuisines within the one country. E.g. I can have tried Chinese cuisines but within that, I've enjoyed Cantonese, Szechuan or today, I had Yunnan's famous "Across the Bridge Noodles". Or in Malaysia, I've had Malay, Chinese, and Indian cuisine as well as a bunch of other mixes like Mamak cuisine (Tamil Muslims), or Peranakan / Nyonya which is a delicious blend of Chinese, Malay, Indonesian flavours. My Tripadvisor travel map show over 160 cities pinned as having visited. This might explain my round shape. 🤦‍♀️

Our diversity has been in cooking at home, rather than restaurants. Saturday night is our "big meal of the week". Some years back, we decided to cook  a different national (and sometimes regional) meal each week. It took us two years to work through the list. 

As for restaurants, we are a small island off the coast of Europe and simply do not have the diversity of cuisines to match that of America. But, if I take regional variations (such as with Chinese or Indian food), as well as distinct national cuisines eaten both here and overseas, then I may get the number up to 25 or so. 

Love, love, love trying different cuisines. Milwaukee, when we lived there, meant we tried French, Italian, German, Chinese, Polish, Indian and Japanese. A visit to Madison, WI, gave us a taste of Afghan. Moving to where we live now reduced our chances, but in the meantime we've tried Korean and a few more. And of course cruising has allowed us to try foods on numerous islands, offering multiple versions of curry and barbecue.

4 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Wow. Every Friday, endeavouring to try a different ethnic restaurant, from 1972 to 1997....I would be very interested to know an approximate number you have tried! I'd also be interested to know which ones you enjoyed or stood out to you and why.

If I lump the cuisines that I've tried by country, the number is not as vast as the different ethnic cuisines within the one country. E.g. I can have tried Chinese cuisines but within that, I've enjoyed Cantonese, Szechuan or today, I had Yunnan's famous "Across the Bridge Noodles". Or in Malaysia, I've had Malay, Chinese, and Indian cuisine as well as a bunch of other mixes like Mamak cuisine (Tamil Muslims), or Peranakan / Nyonya which is a delicious blend of Chinese, Malay, Indonesian flavours. My Tripadvisor travel map show over 160 cities pinned as having visited. This might explain my round shape. 🤦‍♀️

My wife and I did a cross country tour of the US stopping in 43 cities over a period of three weeks.We did a five week tour of Canada stopping in many cities in Quebec and Ontario We ate in at least one restaurant per city.During the 1972 to 1997 restaurants visits we were in hundreds of restaurants.That was the advantage of working in Manhattan.

The cuisines that I enjoyed the most were Italian ,Spanish,Yemenite and Moroccan.

6 hours ago, Harters said:

I don't think we have a specific Yemeni restaurant near us. I wish there was, as I've never eaten the food. As a young girl, my partner spent several years living there (in Aden). 

@Harters Hadramout, Rusholme. Yemeni Kitchen, Ceetham Hill Rd. Not been for years but assume they are still open. 

Hadnt appreciated Hadramout was Yemeni. Ta for the heads-up. Looked very manky and uninviting when I had a nosy through the window about 18 months back. 

I'm not too far from Rusholme. Jaffa on the main drag is a long standing lunch spot for us but that's about the only place on the Curry Mile that we go to these days. Should start calling it the Kebab Kilometre with all the changes in recent times.