How young is too young?

cdn_tbird

Thinking of looking at VV for a cruise over Christmas in 2024 (if they ever release their itineraries 😜) and was wondering if VV would be suitable for an 18 year old. My kids have always enjoyed our cruises on X, and quite happy in the pool and half court on X.

Hoping some of the more seasoned VV sailors here could chime in especially if you've done a cruise with them over Christmas.

TIA.

There have been plenty of 18-20 year olds on VV.  There is good music, etc.  The entertainment is a lot less risque than I anticipated; much of it could be on Disney.  Bottom line, at 18 they won't be able to drink alcohol, but all else is available to them...great food, etc.  The pool is awful.  Very tiny.  The work out and other exercise facilities are great--basketball court, boxing set up, swings and other playground equipment in adult sizes, etc. as well as the standard gym equipment...fun exercise classes included in cruise fare.

They certainly won't see anything on the ship that they can't see on a college campus.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

The big difference difference with VV is the pool. Very very small pool with essentially a plunge area for the deep section. It's designed for lounging, not swimming. The area around the pool is quite small as well with the Deck 16 sundeck being the overflow area. The secondary Gym and Tonic pool is essentially a huge hot tub but without the heat. It's just a big circular jetted 'pool' that has bench setting all along the outer and inner edges. Basketball cage is about a half court, they do full on dodgeball in there at least once per cruise. Great gym and outdoor workout area. 

The ship is very social with lots of seating and lots of opportunities to mix and mingle. Music is amazing throughout the ship, they have some of the best visiting musical acts. 

As for suitable for an 18 year old, that depends on how open you are. The Diva (drag queen) is one of the highlights for us and her shows are heavily laden with sexual innuendos, jokes and physical comedy. She's probably the most overtly sexual of anything on the ship unless they're running the new show that's supposed to replace NSA. 

Your 18 years old will be allowed to be served alcohol once the ship is in international waters. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The drinking age for cruises that depart from Miami is 21.

Sailings that depart from Europe, the drinking age is 18.

The FAQ implies once in international waters then it’s 18. 

The drinking age in international waters is 18, in the United States it's 21, and in other ports, we'll go with whatever their country's laws specify.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

The drinking age for cruises that depart from Miami is 21.

Sailings that depart from Europe, the drinking age is 18.

While this is the case for most cruise lines, VV is different.  Once in international waters 18+ will be allowed to drink alcohol.  

Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I have no concerns about the more "risque" entertainment, and it is refreshing to see a cruise line that takes a more flexible approach to the age limit when it comes to drinking. Nice to hear that there are some 18 - 20 yr olds on the ships. Little disappointed to hear that the pool is small, but if that's the biggest negative, then I'm ok. 

Thanks again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I have no concerns about the more "risque" entertainment, and it is refreshing to see a cruise line that takes a more flexible approach to the age limit when it comes to drinking. Nice to hear that there are some 18 - 20 yr olds on the ships. Little disappointed to hear that the pool is small, but if that's the biggest negative, then I'm ok. 

Thanks again.

I should have mentioned that there are usually several solo sailor meet and greets and activities, starting with a meet up on the embarkation day before the sail away party.  They may need to get the info from Sailor Services since they would not be in a solo cabin or sailing single in a 2 person cabin, but it is a good way to meet others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cantgetin said:

I should have mentioned that there are usually several solo sailor meet and greets and activities, starting with a meet up on the embarkation day before the sail away party.  They may need to get the info from Sailor Services since they would not be in a solo cabin or sailing single in a 2 person cabin, but it is a good way to meet others.

Yes Virgin looks to do more than most lines for solo cruisers as far as planed events go. 

• Thanks 1