When did MSC over take NCL? Future growth?

DrSea

I just realized that MSC has more ships in their fleet than NCL. When did this happen? 

With MSC growing rapidly and 8 new ships to be built, I am just realizing that they are aiming to overtake RCL and CCL to become the biggest cruise line in the world. 

This is very eye opening for me and I wonder how things will change in the cruise industry. 

Thoughts?

With the shipping business being the true bread winner, if they can continue to undercut the competition, they will certainly continue to grow as is. However, if they become more in line with competitive prices, they’ll fall flat. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Thoughts?  Well, NCL needs money imo.  Bungling and cutting service they have worked hard at for 8 years. 

MSC reports were big move into US yet not really happened yet.

True - but they are the market leader in Europe, which is a huge market unto itself. In addition, they are the market leader in South America, the Middle East, and South Africa. I do realize these are smaller markets, but MSC does recognize the potential. They managed to completely decimate Costa’s market share in South America.

• Like 2

MSC prices in the US have increased quite a bit recently and they have started falling in line with some changes the main US lines have made like charging for 2nd entrees. So, for the US, even with increasing their ships, they need to watch those unfavorable changes they are making. Folks don't like that NCL and Royal are making those changes. They won't like them being made by MSC either. Even if the pricing is a little less. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DrSea said:

I just realized that MSC has more ships in their fleet than NCL. When did this happen?

MSC is building more new ships than anyone to be honest. They're right behind Royal Caribbean, already the third largest cruise line in terms of capacity.  During the pandemic their massive shipping company and all the money that flowed in through shipping allowed them to continue ordering and building new cruise ships. Their intent is to become the largest cruise line in the world and they're well on their way. Add the new Explora ultra-luxury cruise line that launched on ship and is already on their way to launching a second and you have a major player emerging in the cruise market. 

While not nearly as well known in the U.S., once they expand their footprint to Galveston, it probably won't be long before they have a homeport on the West Coast as well. Expect their pricing to slowly rise over the next few years.  One of their U.S. sales managers was on a YouTube Live about a month ago and he said to stay tuned to an evolving U.S. market strategy. That they've been 'listening to the feedback from our American guests' and are implementing changes. He said to give it a year and MSC in the U.S. will be an evolved brand in the U.S.  Should be fun to watch. We had a blast on the Seaside and we're looking forward to sailing the Seashore once she gets up here to Port Canaveral. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blueslily said:

MSC prices in the US have increased quite a bit recently and they have started falling in line with some changes the main US lines have made like charging for 2nd entrees. So, for the US, even with increasing their ships, they need to watch those unfavorable changes they are making. Folks don't like that NCL and Royal are making those changes. They won't like them being made by MSC either. Even if the pricing is a little less. 

Charging for a second entree too? Ugh. That's s bitter pill to swallow. Is this across the entire line? Or just certain ships? 

38 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Charging for a second entree too? Ugh. That's s bitter pill to swallow. Is this across the entire line? Or just certain ships? 

As far as I know, this is only on US sailings so far. There have been many threads about it. I just hope they don't cut other services like room service breakfast for Fantastica, nightly turn-down service, or buffet hours as so many of the other lines have done recently.

I am encouraged by MSC's growth overall. I am really hoping they expand to more home ports in the US in the near future. I would also like to see more interesting itineraries on US sailings.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

MSC is building more new ships than anyone to be honest. They're right behind Royal Caribbean, already the third largest cruise line in terms of capacity.  During the pandemic their massive shipping company and all the money that flowed in through shipping allowed them to continue ordering and building new cruise ships. Their intent is to become the largest cruise line in the world and they're well on their way. Add the new Explora ultra-luxury cruise line that launched on ship and is already on their way to launching a second and you have a major player emerging in the cruise market. 

While not nearly as well known in the U.S., once they expand their footprint to Galveston, it probably won't be long before they have a homeport on the West Coast as well. Expect their pricing to slowly rise over the next few years.  One of their U.S. sales managers was on a YouTube Live about a month ago and he said to stay tuned to an evolving U.S. market strategy. That they've been 'listening to the feedback from our American guests' and are implementing changes. He said to give it a year and MSC in the U.S. will be an evolved brand in the U.S.  Should be fun to watch. We had a blast on the Seaside and we're looking forward to sailing the Seashore once she gets up here to Port Canaveral. 

I suspect that World America is being built purely for the American cruise market, with the American cruiser top of mind. Similar to how Royal Caribbean built Spectrum OTS purely for the Asian market.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tierun said:

I suspect that World America is being built purely for the American cruise market, with the American cruiser top of mind. Similar to how Royal Caribbean built Spectrum OTS purely for the Asian market.

Let's hope they plop that ship in the west coast 

Just a note of interest. I attended a couple of Gene Young's coffee chats in the Loft Cafe a month before his untimely death. He boasted that NCL offered themselves to be bought by MSC. That MSC refused, stating they would rather keep its ship building companies building new ships than try to revolutionize old tired ships.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just a note of interest. I attended a couple of Gene Young's coffee chats in the Loft Cafe a month before his untimely death. He boasted that NCL offered themselves to be bought by MSC. That MSC refused, stating they would rather keep its ship building companies building new ships than try to revolutionize old tired ships.

I must say that I do prefer newer ships with modern technology and amenities. Where MSC falls short with their fleet pre Meraviglia class is they have yet to make them fully compatible with the MSC for me app. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tierun said:

It is, MSC has said so. It will be the first MSC ship with a comedy club because the American audience has been asking for one. Everything about that ship is solely being designed around the American cruiser. Including Ocean Cay shutting down for 6 weeks so they can prepare the channel and dock for her arrival. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrSea said:

Let's hope they plop that ship in the west coast 

I don't think she can go through the Panama Canal. She's going to live in Miami since they are getting the Ocean Cay ready for her arrival. No plans for MSC on the west coast at this time, Galveston will get going as soon as they reach an agreement with the Port Authority to start construction on their new terminal. World America could potentially visit Galveston for a short season. 

• Like 1

If you think about it, MSC has come a long way since it started Star Lauro in the late 1980s. It had a few older ships, but I will always remember seeing the Melody in various  Mediterranean ports during the 1990s. Fast forward to the early 2000s and MSC started cruising from the US on the Monterrey - then in 2005 came the first real push with the Opera. Look at them now.

• Like 2

MSC is back on the radar for us. We had five cruises booked with MSC during the pandemic and all canceled due to shutdown. We want to try the YC experience and see how it rates versus the Haven and Retreat. There is a huge price difference between MSC and the other two so if MSC provides a nice experience, they might pick up another customer. I do recall that their FLL shoreside customer service left a lot to be desired. Hopefully that has improved. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, psmarkle said:

Suicide, back in Feb. OMG. So tragic. This hurts on so many levels...

Found a two page CC thread from February.  Our first trip was on Divinia when we met him.  Had a great CC party and picture with him.  I can't recall any other CD names, but I can still hear his voice and remember his name.  Such a true, caring person for crew and passengers.

• Like 1