Kona to Volcanoes National Park

downundermatt

We have a day in Kona on our Transpacific next month, and I was hoping to visit the Volcanoes National Park hiring a car.

Given the tendering and travel time I have  been advised not to do this. 

Has anyone managed this with a car rental ?

(we have a total of 13 hours in port, but wanted to allow two hours either side to get to the car rental and tender )

This will probably be moved to the Hawaii board.

I have to agree with the comments not recommending it. Yes, it can be done, but as you note, it's a lot of driving. If you do it, go both ways on the road across the middle of the island.  It's faster. The coastal road is longer. Both are prone to traffic. 

We stayed in Kona for two weeks a few years ago and enjoyed a day's outing to VNP. Driving time is about 2 hours. If you have 13 hours available, allow 4 hours for travelling back and forth and 2 hours before and after your trip, that leaves you with 5 hours to visit VNP. Based on the times of my first and last photos taken that day at the park, we were there just under 5 hours and saw a great deal during that time.

Yes, it's a long, full day, but very much worth it IMO, especially if this might be your only opportunity to visit the park.