Included excursions being reduced

wren2

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Going back to Roman times, when SALT was more expensive than gold, perhaps?

Blessed are the cheese makers! lol Though SALT is probably more expensive than gold in this instance.

I’ve always been unhappy with the price hike for “included excursions”, though at least the choice is superior to those on Viking, which are simply not worth bothering with. 

On my last SS cruise, we lost 3 excursions and the scenic train journey at the end for which no refund was offered “because they were free”. That in itself is an insult to your intelligence and knowing the squeeze going on, I can’t help but think it’ll get worse.

I am aware of one guest registering a complaint about the above and did receive a FCC. Funnily my SS rep did say I was mad not to have, but I’ve never complained about any sailing directly with SS and decided just to let it sit go.

For the first time ever, no future booking was made on my last 2 SS this year.

On my next, one of my booked excursions was cancelled, which happened to be the most expensive on the list. When I got round to rebooking, I was unable to add because a system glitch still had reference to my cancelled trip and wouldn’t allow it. I had to call GS to intervene. It got added but the free trip now chargeable. Luckily it was down to that glitch and the charge did get amended back to zero after a further email from the manager.

Then I spotted a confirmed trip was now not only showing as wait listed, but now also chargeable. I can only assume someone bumped me and that weird glitch for cancelled by SS was back.

I’ve chased this weeks ago and frankly appalled at the lack of response, though they did act quickly when I telephoned and spoke directly with the head of GS in London. It’s still showing wait listed and still showing chargeable despite it being “included”.

It’s not the reps we speak to that’s the problem, but those dealing specifically with excursions with no contact with the public. You can add those dealing with flights into that category too.

I was always asked what the attraction was with SS and always said it was the little things and attention to detail. I’m afraid those thoughts have virtually gone. I still enjoy the ships, but not their marketing and approach to administration on land. The offices have pretty much always had criticism, but think it’s got worse and doubt it will improve under RCL. My interaction with senior SS management has always been superb.

One more to go and certain it’ll be my last. It’s been mostly fun and I sure will miss free laundry. I’ve a feeling we’ll probably be doing a few DIY land based trips starting with Japan, though would grab a half price bargain like the recent Southampton to Copenhagen should similar reappear, though the apparent blanket ban on drones, might even scupper that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Price gouging reigns supreme with SS. I’ve just booked a cruise that leaves fairly soon to travel with friends. They sent me their booked excursions list which were all included at no charge. When I go to book the same ones, they are predominantly charged at $139 or more, and most are full.

I can live with the fact that the cruise pricing is dynamic and generally increases with time, not always true, but most of the time.

What I don’t agree with is SS pushing it’s all inclusive nature with included excursions, but only for some. That is downright divisive.

On top of the D2D v P2P marketing mistake, Nova restaurant pricing, dumbing down the dress code and now this, it looks like someone at SS or more likely RCL is hell bent on destroying what has made it my go to cruise line for the last 20 years, and that is very sad.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, les37b said:

though the apparent blanket ban on drones, might even scupper that.

I'm trying to understand this comment. There is no cruise line, to the best of my knowledge, which allows passengers to fly a drone while sailing. (I think both Carnival and Royal Caribbean allow drones to be brought aboard, but they may only be flown on land.) Have you found a cruise line which permits drones to be flown?

10 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@Stumblefoot What I was saying is that I think all cruise lines now disallow drones. He indicated that not being able to fly his drone would be a reason for not sailing Silversea going forward, but I don't think any other lines allow it, either. 

You got the wrong end of the stick.

Flying from the ship moving or stationary is quire rightly barred.

Silversea has now taken it upon themselves to ban passage. ie you can’t bring them onto the ship and then use them at a location that may be 10s of miles from civilisation.

Last month I sailed with Viking on a circumnavigation. The first 2 days before boarding, I was intending to use at the site of an active volcano, accessed by a 10 mile trek. Why should I be barred from doing that? (Which I would be unless I decided not to board with it!) Unfortunately, the volcano fizzled out 2 days before arriving and it was now just a small hill. So I did the golden triangle, which I’d happily have flown, but there were signs stating no drones. No problem and obeyed. At the top of another volcano later in the trip and at another less spectacular to gulfoss waterfall, Viking knew I had it and there was zero problem. Any pilot will tell you they know you can’t take off and land on the ship.

So video and photos will be off ship and my responsibility to obey any restrictions.

I have videod ships, but always from land. 

Silversea have been aware I bring one on with me (but not always) and have used my footage in their advertising. (Look at the Northern Europe video and I have a couple of clips in that compilation.)

So, basically this decision on top of everything else is simply making things an unattractive proposition. The reason isn’t to do with privacy, ( though it’s a given you don’t fly too close to the ship)… it’s because some countries have banned then (mostly Middle East countries like Iran and Saudi), some you need to register, but most there isn’t a problem as long as you obey the flying rules which anyone flying in the Uk or US will be aware of as part of their operators license.  

• Like 4

@les37b Thanks for clarifying; I understand your original statement better now.

Have you tried inquiring with Silversea to inquire if they would allow you to bring a drone and turn it over to the ship's security staff upon boarding, to be released to you upon request when you are going ashore?

If the answer is no, I wonder if the difference in rules and regulations in different countries and/or ports is why they don't want to get involved. They might decide that the effort required to have each ship's security staff up-to-date on regulations in every country, checking passengers' registrations/licenses, and making sure those flying drones know the local rules, is too much work or liability for the few passengers who would want to take a drone off-ship. Add to that local concerns about environmental issues (disturbance to wildlife disturbance to hikers/tourists, the potential for a drone to go down and be unrecoverable in sensitive areas, etc.), and tourists who are oblivious to or intentionally don't follow the rules.  Unfortunately, my guess is that all it takes is one incident where a captain has to deal with unhappy local police or port authorities to drive the decision to ban passengers from having drones. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@les37b Thanks for clarifying; I understand your original statement better now.

Have you tried inquiring with Silversea to inquire if they would allow you to bring a drone and turn it over to the ship's security staff upon boarding, to be released to you upon request when you are going ashore?

If the answer is no, I wonder if the difference in rules and regulations in different countries and/or ports is why they don't want to get involved. They might decide that the effort required to have each ship's security staff up-to-date on regulations in every country, checking passengers' registrations/licenses, and making sure those flying drones know the local rules, is too much work or liability for the few passengers who would want to take a drone off-ship. Add to that local concerns about environmental issues (disturbance to wildlife disturbance to hikers/tourists, the potential for a drone to go down and be unrecoverable in sensitive areas, etc.), and tourists who are oblivious to or intentionally don't follow the rules.  Unfortunately, my guess is that all it takes is one incident where a captain has to deal with unhappy local police or port authorities to drive the decision to ban passengers from having drones. 

I have asked for clarity, but no response. There was something posted from the GS manager in Miami stating that drones were now forbidden on board because of the uncertainty of rules around the globe. 

Signing a disclaimer or handing over as you suggested, Id have no problem with and i really don't see this being any different to SS declaring you are responsible for all individual visa or vaccine requirements. This really is no different. 

There most certainly are places that SS go to that are sensitive areas like Antarctic and Galapagos which do specifically ban drone usage by the public, so yes, not taking chances at these locations is understandable.

Anyone flying from the ship from anywhere, I'd have no problem with SS immediately disembarking and banning them.

Before any cruise, I always check the rules and have on my last two SS  cruises decided not to take. One was and start and end in Barbados, which is the only western country with a full ban. The other was Japan, which while accepted and legal, there are too many restrictions and frankly most stops had issues or nothing with videoing. Plus you had to register in Japan.

However, its perfectly legal to own and use there.

Plus of course as mentioned above, a month ago, my use was manly pre cruise - it could have been post cruise. SS simply wont allow this.....other cruise lines will. In fact Viking not only assisted me, they stated they'd love to see the footage.

I appreciate this very much is a minority and obscure thing, but in reality its a camera that is capable of stunning photography. Here is a good example. (Not mine - but would have loved it to be.)

I think I'm pretty responsible on these matters and accept there are idiots that wont obey, I will obey this SS instruction. I doubt the idiots will.

• Like 3