Santorini

watsonbeau

On QV next year and Santorini is the tender port on 22 May.  Looking at the cruise port schedule there are a number of cruise ships that day, totalling 8000 passengers approx. 

Any experiences of Santorini? Not keen on wandering round Fira if it’s going to be totally rammed - which seems likely from watching YouTube!  From past visits/experiences - what’s it like if thst busy re cable car etc ?  Does anyone know if Cunard have maybe organised a boat trip round the Caldera as would maybe do that ? Or could just stay on QV and enjoy the view of the Caldera from the ship…! 

Thank you

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

On QV next year and Santorini is the tender port on 22 May.  Looking at the cruise port schedule there are a number of cruise ships that day, totalling 8000 passengers approx. 

Any experiences of Santorini? Not keen on wandering round Fira if it’s going to be totally rammed - which seems likely from watching YouTube!  From past visits/experiences - what’s it like if thst busy re cable car etc ?  Does anyone know if Cunard have maybe organised a boat trip round the Caldera as would maybe do that ? Or could just stay on QV and enjoy the view of the Caldera from the ship…! 

Thank you

Going there in2 weeks on QV. Do a cunard tour  which get you ashore quicker. Avoids cable car as it goes to new port which has road access

If first time either do best of tour or one that goes to Oia. You will be dropped off in Fira with a complimentary cable car ticket.Dont wail down lots of donkey 

Get a tour or anything offered that avoids cable car or any other form of transport getting to the top. 
The views from the top are amazing but manage your expectations about crowds, especially if a few mega ships are in port with you. Many fellow pax said they’ll never go back to Santorini again if they have to take the cable car.

Good luck. 

I did a private car for the day. I got one of the first tender tickets went right to the cable car. the ship tours go to a different pier and then the ship moved and the tenders for the cable car, donkeys walk pier were next. But then we were the only ship. But we did see Oia before the tour buses arrived. Just do not do the donkeys 

23 minutes ago, NE John said:

Many fellow pax said they’ll never go back to Santorini again if they have to take the cable car.

Certainly never again in midsummer. The lines extend forever and there is no proper place to form a line so you end up clinging to a wall overlooking the cliff to allow peope to pass.

I hate to be a bummer, but Santorini is the personification of a tourist trap. 
Once you get to the top and see the jaw-dropping views, you’re basically greeted by trinket shops and Greek yogurt stands. Plus, the cable car is not reliable and stopped running a few times leading to longer lines, especially getting back down the mountain to the ship. 

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about Santorini. I was on a bus tour to get up the mountain and really enjoyed learning about viticulture on Santorini. Loved the small towns and learning about the community celebrations. Hated standing in line for what seemed forever in the heat to get down on the cable car. I agree with NE John, don’t even think about getting onto a donkey. I think the best part for me was watching the sunset over the caldera.

4 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

Thank you. Tours not out yet as my trip is next year but will certainly look. Have a lovely time and let us know how it goes. 

There are 5 tours for our cruise, best of, Oia, Akroritia archaeological site, a basic coach drive and a volcanic hike to the island in the Caldera. All were sold out several weeks ago.

Gosh, arriving at Santorini is an absolutely spectacular experience, as the view is stunning.  We selected the all-day tour that included Akrotiri, because my priority is always seeing archaeological sites. We were first off the ship and went right on a tour bus at the bottom of the hill. 

The ancient site is on the opposite side of the island, very interesting to tour.  We also stopped in Oia which is quite scenic, but a bit of a madhouse as everybody crowds in trying to get that one shot with the roofs.

Returning to Fira, we went by ourselves to the prehistoric museum, then enjoyed a very nice and relaxing lunch. Yes, unfortunately the cable car line is quite long, although once on board, the ride is fast.  We took turns waiting in line while one of us looked around in the stores--probably close to an hour!! 

We would not think about taking the donkeys (treatment issues), and physically, we could handle the steps, but we just wanted to ride the cable car!

Perhaps you could arrange a private tour, and ask to be picked up and dropped off at the bottom to avoid the cable car (but you might miss Fira).

I am so glad I got to visit most of these places 30 plus years ago when cruising was still special.... first visit to Santorini being aboard UGANDA and the most recent (!) CANBERRA... when we shared that wonderful caldera port with STELLA SOLARIS.  

We'll be there in QUEEN VICTORIA on 10 October when I see there will be one huge MSC ship, one Costa vessel and a Seven Seas ship.  I guess that counts as a "light" day.  8,000 in May sounds... horrid.  I'd rather enjoy the views and the quiet aboard ship than be among the milling mobs. And the sunset over the caldera is special... we'll have to grab a prime Commodore Club seat for sailing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sogne said:

There are 5 tours for our cruise, best of, Oia, Akroritia archaeological site, a basic coach drive and a volcanic hike to the island in the Caldera. All were sold out several weeks ago.

There are some ports that work well with cruise ship day-long stops and some that don’t; Santorini fits in the latter category. 
At this point, I recommend to stay on the ship and enjoy a beautiful day of having everything pretty much to yourself with the pools and anything outside. Just being in the waters of Santorini is stunning.
Then you can plan a future multi-day non-cruise visit to Santorini to enjoy the entire beauty of it. 
My work colleague just did a several day visit to Santorini and said it was great, but hot. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I am so glad I got to visit most of these places 30 plus years ago when cruising was still special.... first visit to Santorini being aboard UGANDA and the most recent (!) CANBERRA... when we shared that wonderful caldera port with STELLA SOLARIS.  

We'll be there in QUEEN VICTORIA on 10 October when I see there will be one huge MSC ship, one Costa vessel and a Seven Seas ship.  I guess that counts as a "light" day.  8,000 in May sounds... horrid.  I'd rather enjoy the views and the quiet aboard ship than be among the milling mobs. And the sunset over the caldera is special... we'll have to grab a prime Commodore Club seat for sailing. 

Great minds think alike!

All of our table mates got back from our day in Santorini totally burned out from the whole crowded tourist trap scene you get from a limited cruise ship visit. We all vowed never to never to return. Looking back, that was a bit harsh reaction and I’d go back for a proper 3-4 days. 

• Like 1

We most recently (October 2019)  felt that with Dubrovnik... alas my first (and will be last) visit to what was once a charming idyll of a place. No more.  I've been in less crowded (and more polite) baseball stadiums on opening day. Never again. 

Cruising will eventually kill itself off in the next two decades at this rate.... so many of these places, even cities like Venice and Barcelona simply are no longer enjoyable with an extra 15,000 people dumped in the centre from 0900-1400 all intent on seeing the same thing at the same time.  I can appreciate why the locals and many muncipalities have begun to say "enough."    

But yes, best to pick and choose... did not Cunard coin "Getting There is Half the Fun"?  Now even more a selling point. 

Actually, I think for Venice the fact that everyone wants to see the same things is a benefit for the slightly more adventurous. A turn down an unpromising alley can take you to a square devoid of tourists where you can sit and eat ice cream or go into a church with a couple of old masters. Of course the preservation of the lagoon is a different issue.

• Like 2

Thank you. Lots of food for thought. Always wanted to arrive in Santorini by sea so will achieve that. Would consider a boat trip round the caldera/volcano - if not think I will stay on the ship and enjoy the scenery - and visit Santorini for a few days on a hotel based trip and combine with Athens.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Gosh, arriving at Santorini is an absolutely spectacular experience, as the view is stunning.  We selected the all-day tour that included Akrotiri, because my priority is always seeing archaeological sites. We were first off the ship and went right on a tour bus at the bottom of the hill. 

If you have any interest in archeology at all, don't miss Akrotiri and the museum.

We went to Venice a while back on QE- our third visit. Had a small evening tour to St. Mark’s-the guide was superb -we got up close to the Pala D’Oro(?) which was amazing as well as the rest of the cathedral in the evening -we were the only folks in the church😄

On another trip on QE we stopped at Santorini; the cable car was busted and I stayed on the ship-BUT quite a few folks used the donkeys and the elevators were ‘in a light blaze’ until the crew were able to refresh the carpets-WHOO😮‍💨

On 9/13/2023 at 5:37 PM, moses0 said:

We are on that same cruise. My wife's dream to see Santorini hope its not a disappointment. I don't see any excursions listed by Cunard for this port. 

Yes I’ve always wanted to see it. Might have to go and stay there - or do another cruise with it on the itinerary.

On 9/13/2023 at 5:37 PM, moses0 said:

We are on that same cruise. My wife's dream to see Santorini hope its not a disappointment. I don't see any excursions listed by Cunard for this port. 

I guess I'm on the same Cunard cruise ( departing 1st Oct 2022) 

Excursions for Santorini  ( Oct 10th) are now available in My Cunard. I have just booked a trip that will take me up to Fira by coach rather than  battling the crowds for the cable Car.

I understand there will be five ships in port that day.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Excursions for Santorini  ( Oct 10th) are now available in My Cunard. I have just booked a trip that will take me up to Fira by coach rather than  battling the crowds for the cable Car.

Correction to my post above  should read 1st October 2023 !!

4 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

The only excursion in Santorini that we were interested in has in the description that they provide a cable car ticket for you to return to the ship (presumably by tender from the bottom of the cliff) - so not an option we want to take.