Santorini

watsonbeau

5 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I guess I'm on the same Cunard cruise ( departing 1st Oct 2022) 

Excursions for Santorini  ( Oct 10th) are now available in My Cunard. I have just booked a trip that will take me up to Fira by coach rather than  battling the crowds for the cable Car.

I understand there will be five ships in port that day.  

The coach may take you to Fira, but at some point so you have to take the cable car to return to the dock for your tender.

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

The coach may take you to Fira, but at some point so you have to take the cable car to return to the dock for your tender.

Yes you are correct. The tour is several hours including lunch etc, however, It also includes a ticket TO BY PASS lines to return down 😉 This was the attraction for me. 

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

Yes you are correct. The tour is several hours including lunch etc, however, It also includes a ticket TO BY PASS lines to return down 😉 This was the attraction for me. 

Sounds like a lovely day! 

But, there is only ONE line for the cable car.  There is NO bypass. 

My advice is to base your cable car descent on the departure times of the other ships   If the other ships leave at 4pm,5pm and 6pm, and you leave at 8 or 9pm, you'll be ok.   But if your ship leaves at 5pm, in the middle of the big exodus you'll have a long wait. 

On the 10th October, there are three other ships due to be there. The MSC Divina with about 3500 passengers is scheduled to leave at 4pm. QV is scheduled to leave at 5pm with just over 2000 passengers, and then Costa Deliziosa with just under 3000, and Seven Seas Voyager with about 700 later into the evening. So I guess mapleleaves' comment is relevant to the possible queues for the cable car descent to get back to the tenders.

12 hours ago, techteach said:

@Bell Boy I’m going to hold out hope, one my trademarks, that there IS a By-pass line and you don’t have to stand in that horrible long line in the heat. Enjoy Santorini!

As understood it, Cunard shoreside tours department indicated that the 'cable car Ticket' is Part of a 'Cunard shore side Tour', arrangements will be made for everyone to be able to return to the ship well in time before departure. I'll be expecting confirmation of this when I'm onboard - if I have any doubt I'll be expecting a full refund of the tour. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:38 AM, watsonbeau said:

On QV next year and Santorini is the tender port on 22 May.  Looking at the cruise port schedule there are a number of cruise ships that day, totalling 8000 passengers approx. 

Any experiences of Santorini? Not keen on wandering round Fira if it’s going to be totally rammed - which seems likely from watching YouTube!  From past visits/experiences - what’s it like if thst busy re cable car etc ?  Does anyone know if Cunard have maybe organised a boat trip round the Caldera as would maybe do that ? Or could just stay on QV and enjoy the view of the Caldera from the ship…! 

Thank you

Apologies for the late response but I've been on a week's exploration of Yorkshire and time was far more important savouring the delights there rather than online.

So, better late than never I guess, how's about this for a Santorini DIY guide, all my own work....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/07/14/one-way-to-do-santorini/

And yes, I've done it on Queen Victoria as well...

QueenVictoriasantorinicopyright.thumb.jpg.768be4ab104e0d4fc28dabadfb4983d0.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/20/2023 at 5:26 AM, Bell Boy said:

As understood it, Cunard shoreside tours department indicated that the 'cable car Ticket' is Part of a 'Cunard shore side Tour', arrangements will be made for everyone to be able to return to the ship well in time before departure. 

I think the 'arrangement" they refer to is..... a crew member is stationed in Fira to keep tabs on the queue and radio the ship about potential delays. The cruiselines are aware of the problem at the cable cars and the intent is not to leave anyone behind if they got caught up in a 2 hr queue.

On 9/19/2023 at 5:23 AM, Bell Boy said:

I guess I'm on the same Cunard cruise ( departing 1st Oct 2022) 

Excursions for Santorini  ( Oct 10th) are now available in My Cunard. I have just booked a trip that will take me up to Fira by coach rather than  battling the crowds for the cable Car.

I understand there will be five ships in port that day.  

sorry our trip is may 2023