Just back from the British Isles.....

Lois R

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

Lois R was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

This is for any of you food folks😃(CGT for sure) LOL.......just back from 12 nights going all around Ireland and Scotland. The cruise started in Southampton and ended in Copenhagen.  It was my first time visiting all the ports and had a fabulous time😃

We went to some small ports and one example, Bantry, Ireland. What a lovely, lovely place! And I stopped for lunch at a local place and have to say, it was 

DELICIOUS.......FRESH SEAFOOD.  I think I had the best Calamari in my life.....honestly. They were BIG rings with the perfect breading and not chewy at all.

Calamari, a big side of chips and a salad.....16 Euros! 

It was one of my very best meals and the town was easy to walk around and spend time in some of the local shops. 

We are small islands - in Great Britain none of us live more than 70 miles from the coast. You'd think great seafood should be everywhere. But it isnt. Even in coastal towns. Yes, you can go to some and find great seafood. But for others, it can be as disappointing as you will generally find inland - cod, haddock, sea bass and defrosted prawns and that's about it. I live some 35 miles from the coast, in a diverse metro area of some 3 million - but there's only two seafood restaurants (neither of them particularly good). 

It's often reported, by our fishing industry, that most of the catch landed in the UK is exported, whilst most of the seafood we eat is imported from elsewhere.

And don't get me started about how our national dish of fish & chips is so often vile. Even a half decent version is an experience to celebrate. 

On 9/13/2023 at 4:29 PM, Lois R said:

Oh, I loved Copenhagen too. What a great city!😃

Hi Lois,

Welcome back to reality.  I followed your cruise log on SS with great interest…and a few twinges of envy…lol.  Isn’t it ironic that one of your best meals was an impromptu lunch in an Irish village.  That’s why travel stays interesting.  So where to next and when?😀

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Lois,

Welcome back to reality.  I followed your cruise log on SS with great interest…and a few twinges of envy…lol.  Isn’t it ironic that one of your best meals was an impromptu lunch in an Irish village.  That’s why travel stays interesting.  So where to next and when?😀

Good morning CGT😃,,,,yes, local places can end up being the best!

As for my next cruise? November on SS, brand new ship "NOVA"......going on a TA crossing. Flying to Lisbon and sailing back to NY.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:57 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning CGT😃,,,,yes, local places can end up being the best!

As for my next cruise? November on SS, brand new ship "NOVA"......going on a TA crossing. Flying to Lisbon and sailing back to NY.

Lois, check out the Transatlantic thread.  You are going to have company on Nova…a newbie!

33 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Lois, check out the Transatlantic thread.  You are going to have company on Nova…a newbie!

Hi CGT, thanks🙂 I just posted over there letting them know there is roll call started for the sailing.