Size of beds on Holland America

cruisers5

I know this is a bit of an usual question, does anyone know the size (in inches) of the queen sized beds, my husband is a bit "fluffy" in size, snores and uses a CPAP.  We have separate bedrooms at home.  If the beds are separated, so we each have one, he really can't move around in bed as there isn't much room for him.  From what I've heard from Holland America their balcony cabins that have a sofa (love seat) in them do NOT pull out to a bed.  In order for me to have a place to sleep I either have to book and pay for 3 in a cabin and have a "no show", or book a suite (then I'm looking at about $2,000+ more for the same cruise).  Just trying to figure out if we can "fit" comfortably on the beds, or if I have to worry about my husband falling off the bed if he turns over during the night.

This is for Nieuw Amsterdam.  

Edited by cruisers5

15 minutes ago, cruisers5 said:

I know this is a bit of an usual question, does anyone know the size (in inches) of the queen sized beds, my husband is a bit "fluffy" in size, snores and uses a CPAP.  We have separate bedrooms at home.  If the beds are separated, so we each have one, he really can't move around in bed as there isn't much room for him.  From what I've heard from Holland America their balcony cabins that have a sofa (love seat) in them do NOT pull out to a bed.  In order for me to have a place to sleep I either have to book and pay for 3 in a cabin and have a "no show", or book a suite (then I'm looking at about $2,000+ more for the same cruise).  Just trying to figure out if we can "fit" comfortably on the beds, or if I have to worry about my husband falling off the bed if he turns over during the night.

What ship are you on?   Some staterooms have sofa beds - others do not.

If you pick your own stateroom, you can pick one with a sofa bed.  They are marked on the deckplans.   I also included a diagram showing the bed size

image.png.62b182d3065ae949d3e7d1735c4875c9.png

image.thumb.png.c34c0c7ea17605b6e770a379b37708a7.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1

You can book without booking for 3.  Study the deckplan, looking for a triple or quad cabin and select that cabin. It usually costs exactly the same as the double next door.   I often sleep on the couch if DH is snoring and I a don’t even fold them out.  I simply request an extra set of sheets and blankets in the room upon arrival “just in case”. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Poor guy. He didn't plan on all this. You can ask for a fan to drown out the snoring. White noise helps there. I've found with the all you can drink package, 🍸, I never hear a thing. Magic. Lol.

I would have to have a very large industrial fan in order to drown out the snoring!  *L*  I do like the idea of the all you can drink package....he may have to move to another cabin then because of my snoring!  *L*

• Haha 2

We find the beds to be small in non-suite cabins. The 2 "twins" do not make up to the size of a true king, like the one we have at home. DH also uses CPAP and likes to separate the beds on ships. If you can put one "twin" against a wall, it works better to fight the feeling of falling out! Sometimes the bedside tables aren't in the best spot for that. The pullout sofa beds aren't bad, they seem wider and don't have the "fallout" feeling. But of course the noise is hard to muffle regardless of where you sleep. 

I cannot be sure but I thought they were bigger years ago. We aren't THAT much bigger now!

45 minutes ago, cruisers5 said:

This is for Nieuw Amsterdam.  

My DH is a big guy and we like to book a Neptune for the King size bed, but that can become pricey on longer cruises. On our B2B Panama Canal cruise this year on the Zaandam we had a verandah suite and had the beds separated, which was awful for DH.  I told him we could get a room with a sofa bed, which I would use, but for our cruise last week on the Eurodam we kept the bed as a queen and it was surprisingly spacious! 

You are not the first cruising person to have challenges like this and I hope you will find an arrangement that works.  I bring silicone ear plugs, too.  I also try not to nap during the day, ensuring I am tired at night.   I like the suggestion of wine. HAL wants you all to have a good cruise! Best Wishes.

Definitely book a cabin with pull out sofa (for you!), leave the twins together (for him!), use good ear plugs, and download a white noise app onto your phone and play it near your pillow overnight. And, yes to a nightcap (or two!)

3 hours ago, cruisers5 said:

I know this is a bit of an usual question, does anyone know the size (in inches) of the queen sized beds...

I measured the "queen" bed on our last cruise. That was on the Koningsdam.

It was 6'4" long x 5'8" wide. A standard queen bed is 6'8" long x 5' wide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

I measured the "queen" bed on our last cruise. That was on the Koningsdam.

It was 6'4" long x 5'8" wide. A standard queen bed is 6'8" long x 5' wide.

Do you happen to know if that is true on the zuiderdam as well?

5 minutes ago, Toad said:

Do you happen to know if that is true on the zuiderdam as well?

No, that's the only one I have ever measured (to settle a bet). It seemed to us to be the same size as all the other "queen" beds on HAL ships, i.e., slightly shorter and wider than our queen at home.

I have never measured the king beds on the ships, either, but they are certainly much larger. 

Just to add my two cents….last month I booked a b2b inside guarantee on the Noordam - obviously looking for something better - lesson learned - no more guarantees…..however….

Although I probably had the smallest cabin on the ship - the bed was so big (single traveller). Slight exaggeration - but truly I think three people could have slept there in a pinch. You should have no problem. For comparison purposes - I sleep in a Queen at home, and the Noordam bed seemed larger. Plus - the mattress, pillows, and beautiful linens - take me back!!!!

• Like 1

My husband is also a big guy and uses a C-pap.  At home we sleep in a king size.  On our three cruises we slept in the queen size, and it was just fine.  It honestly didn’t seem that different from the king.  We were in verandah staterooms each time if that makes a difference.

I personally think you’d be more comfortable in the same bed rather than messing with the fold-out, which doesn’t sound comfortable at all.  We just make sure he’s on the side of the bed closest to the outlet where the extension cord for his c-pap goes.  

The ships we were on were Zuiderdam, Eurodam, and Rotterdam.

Edited by RAS4331
removed extra word

2 hours ago, julia said:

Definitely book a cabin with pull out sofa (for you!), leave the twins together (for him!), use good ear plugs, and download a white noise app onto your phone and play it near your pillow overnight. And, yes to a nightcap (or two!)

Pull out sofa is great - very comfortable for one - but not if you are on the plus size. I am 6’4, 190 pounds - have found them nice, but would have appreciated the oppty to sprawl.