French river cruise dress code?

Korimako

Hello

I have already posted on River Cruising, but thought I'd try here too. Has anyone any actual experience of the dress code on the above? The various websites are very generalised and I was hoping for more specific info. Luggage space will be limited, so every outfit must count. 

TIA

Is this a trip on one of their barges or a larger ship?  I did a week last year on CroisiEurope's barge on the Rhone Canal in Southern France.  LOVED IT!!!   It was 12 women (a company chartered for us).  We were very casual in dress.  Out walking and exploring every day, so it was Tshirts & shorts/capris or cool sleeveless dresses.  For dinner, we were still shorts/capris/pants but a clean shirt or dress, in between casual and "country club" casual.  We were out on the deck drinking, either in the hot tub or next to it in a chair.  Usually we just threw a Tshirt over the bathing suit and wrapped the towel around.  Yes, the luggage space was very limited.  My roommate and I had a carry on-size each and it was hard going.  I let her take the little space in the closet and I kept my things in my bag.  Her bag was squashed under the desk.   Now, if you are on one of the larger river ships, I'd say more country club on board and dress casual for walking around.  hopefully the cabin is a tad larger...

Thank you for replying so quickly and this is exactly the information I was looking for. I will be on a river boat, so maybe slightly less cramped. But I'm pleased to see you didn't mention having to get all dolled up for dinner (or would you say 'gussied'?)

I'm not, and never have been a girly girl and am happiest in trousers and shirts, so it will be linen pants and tops, with possibly the odd linen shift dress thrown in. Might pack my pearls though!

I'm used to June/July temperatures in France as we used to have a house there, so I know I will need sensible footwear for excursions and sightseeing.

Thanks again

K

Your clothes will be great.  I always like to dress up a little, so I bring some 'quiet jewelry' and scarves to make dinner 'special'.  Pearls are perfect!  After all, it IS France.  I learned long ago to pack nothing but black and beige and one bright color ... everything works with everything else.  On a river cruise you'll be comfortable in whatever you like to wear, you'll see nearly every kind of attire possible.  

Just been on a 14 night  European river cruise. Not in France but I imagine dress code similar on all of them.

There were a couple of occasions - welcome dinner, gala farewell dinner, one evening at a concert off board - when dressier was the go.

Men mostly wore dressy or chino pants and smart  collared shirts, women wore mid length dresses or pants and dressy tops to those. 

A few men wore ties, vast majority didn't.

'Ordinary' dinner nights - some people dressed slightly dressier than during day, some didn't. 

Shorts were worn by maybe 1/4 of the men at dinner as well as shorts by men and women during the day. 

Before coming I read that jeans at dinner were not really ok - reality said otherwise, jeans at dinner were not at all rare, men and women.

Weather was quite warm,obviously that affected what people wore. 

Edited by Kristelle
  • Like 1