Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan on foot

kat_merle

I will be traveling in January with someone with significant health issues.  If they only have energy to travel about a 15-20 minute slow walk from port is it even worth getting off the ship or does that barely get us into anything touristy?  We are travelling on Discovery princess if  that makes a different with where the ship docks.

2 hours ago, kat_merle said:

I will be traveling in January with someone with significant health issues.  If they only have energy to travel about a 15-20 minute slow walk from port is it even worth getting off the ship or does that barely get us into anything touristy?  We are travelling on Discovery princess if  that makes a different with where the ship docks.

At Puerto Vallarta, you would certainly want to use a taxi (or other transportation) to get into town (Centro and/or Romantic Zone/Old Town) which is about 4 miles from the port..  Once in that part of Puerto Vallarta, walking along the Malecon (think local boardwalk) is Ok for those with some mobility limitations.  That part of town is flat, has a decent walkway, and has plenty of benches, cafes, etc. for folks who want to take it slow and take frequent rest breaks.  As in any tourist destination, take the usual precautions against pick-pockets (they exist everywhere).

Hank

• Like 3

Cabo is a tender port.  I doubt that your friend would be able to get onto (and off of) the tenders easily.  If he/she can handle the tender, once you debark in Cabo, you are immediately in a tourist shopping/eating/drinking area, so that would be good.

• Like 1

In PV there is a mall and Walmart across the main highway.  We walked over but the heat and humidity got to us so we took a cab back,  $8 US cash from the mall front steps so carry some small bills.  I gave him a $10 because we were so glad to get a ride back.

There are lots of gift shops right at the dock, and a duty free for cigarettes and alcohol. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:24 AM, kat_merle said:

If they only have energy to travel about a 15-20 minute slow walk from port

Have they considered renting a mobility scooter?  This would seem to be a help both onboard and in the ports.  I would expect the lines to have some kind of accommodation for passengers traveling with a mobility scooter.