Are closed-toe shoes required for the Carnival cooking classes?

ZoeyVictoria

I vaguely remember that possibly being a requirement, although if it was, I couldn’t/didn’t comply for the pasta masters class on the Mardi Gras.  We are taking a pizza class on the Celebration and I don’t want to be turned away, but I hate to take tennis shoes that take up so much space in my luggage. 

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

10 minutes ago, edspec said:

I don’t remember either but as a possible solution maybe fold-up ballet flats?

I have lived in Florida for twenty-three years and been retired for six of them. I live in shorts, sundresses, bathing suits, and flip flops. Literally the only closed-tie shoes I own are the tennis shoes I wear for my morning walks.  They might get to cruise next month!  

29 minutes ago, edspec said:

I don’t remember either but as a possible solution maybe fold-up ballet flats?

Yes, closed toe shoes are required on all ships for cooking classes and Chef's table, as you go into an area where health and safety regulations are in place. I purchased fold up ballet sleippers on Amazon and they come in really handy and take up little space.

Thank you!  I spent 35 minutes looking at the ballet flats on Amazon, but I just can’t do it. Too many years in sandals and flip flops, my toes hurt just looking at the pictures. I will take the walking shoes that I hate but am used to. But I feel much better about them now 😂

7 minutes ago, Roe95695 said:

Not trying to hijack the thread but curious how do you find out about the cooking classes?  I don't recall ever hearing about this when we have cruised in the past.  I would love to attend.

The Carnival Kitchen is on the Mardi Gras and Celebration. I am pretty sure the classes can be found and booked under specialty dining, but the website is down and I can’t verify that. There are a number of classes - pizza, pasta, tailgate party, pie, cupcakes, etc, with around 12 stations of two people each.   They are now $40 each (used to be $35).  They last around ninety minutes and you can eat whatever you cook, but are not allowed to leave with it. You will receive a spatula and copies of the recipes to take home. We enjoyed Pasta Masters, learned a few things, and even bought the picture (we never buy pictures any more, but made an exception since we enjoyed the class so much).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The Carnival Kitchen is on the Mardi Gras and Celebration. I am pretty sure the classes can be found and booked under specialty dining, but the website is down and I can’t verify that. There are a number of classes - pizza, pasta, tailgate party, pie, cupcakes, etc, with around 12 stations of two people each.   They are now $40 each (used to be $35).  They last around ninety minutes and you can eat whatever you cook, but are not allowed to leave with it. You will receive a spatula and copies of the recipes to take home. We enjoyed Pasta Masters, learned a few things, and even bought the picture (we never buy pictures any more, but made an exception since we enjoyed the class so much).

Thank you for sharing the info.  We are cruising on the Horizon but will need to watch for the other ships sometime and join in on the fun.  

When we did Chefs Kitchen it was recommended to wear closed toe shoes. I didn't read it until we were already on the ship and didn't bring any. 

There were Croc type shoes for sale in the fun shop but at work those aren't considered closed toe shoes so I just decided to wear my most closed toe sandals.

I didn't have to worry, most women were wearing sandals and flip flops.

5 hours ago, Roe95695 said:

Thank you for sharing the info.  We are cruising on the Horizon but will need to watch for the other ships sometime and join in on the fun.  

We're sailing on Panorama in Feb... there are cooking classes on our sailing. Carnivals website is down this weekend but I think they are in with other Specialty Dining options. We did the pasta making and cupcake decorating classes on Mardi Gras last January... we found the pasta class worth it, but not so much on the cupcake class. 

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

Tennis shoes don't take up any room in your luggage if you wear them onto the ship. That's what I do. 

That makes sense, but I hate them so badly I wear them only for morning exercise walks and theme parks. And at theme parks I put them on and off in the parking lot. There are words for this, probably girly girl and OCD, maybe others 😄.  I decided to take them so I can ride the Bolt again, so they will be there if necessary. Thanks to all who reassured me they weren’t required for their experiences.