Replacement for Footloose on NCL Joy

Cheer Mom D

are you talking about the 10/28 western caribbean 7-day itinerary out of miami?

while that is supposed to be the first voyage without "footloose," it's still being shown as an entertainment option for that cruise in the app and the website.

that's probably an NCL website snafu, but who knows?

as for a replacement show, again... who knows? i don't even think NCL knows yet. but, lately, they've been quite fond of solo acts... violinists, singers and comedians. i don't think we should expect to see a large scale broadway production replacing "footloose."

• Like 2

What the World Needs Now on Star has been replaced with Deal or No Deal on our cruise planner. 

I hope that NCL don't just get rid of all the major production shows, that is one of my favourite things on a cruise. I don't drink a lot so sitting in a bar all night doesn't appeal and I don't like magicians or jugglers particularly (I don't think it works well in a large theatre) 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

What the World Needs Now on Star has been replaced with Deal or No Deal on our cruise planner. 

I do hope they won't start considering things like Deal or No Deal a show that can replace "real" shows! Not that What the World Needs Now was a great show, but at least it was song and dance by professionals!

• Like 3

I think Footloose will not be replaced with any show of the same caliber.   It is also still showing up for our June 2024 cruise.   While I personally will not miss Footloose (one and done for us) I hope Elements will still be onboard.   Would love them to bring onboard MDQ.   Is that show still on any ships?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vacation44 said:

I think Footloose will not be replaced with any show of the same caliber.   It is also still showing up for our June 2024 cruise.   While I personally will not miss Footloose (one and done for us) I hope Elements will still be onboard.   Would love them to bring onboard MDQ.   Is that show still on any ships?

Million Dollar Quartet was on our Getaway cruise in May.  Excellent talented cast that also performed one night of "Broadway Unplugged".    So far, we haven't heard anything about MDQ not being renewed🤞

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vacation44 said:

While I personally will not miss Footloose (one and done for us) I hope Elements will still be onboard. 

Footloose was a disappointment. Elements was fantastic. Joy is going through some major changes. Time will tell.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

@Sand and Seas The Bird promises to bring the Joy back in one piece. Look for a pink bird with sunglasses disembarking in NY as you embark 🫢

It's amazing!  Somehow you always seem to be on our next ship a couple of months before us.... or this case just before we board.  How do you do that🤔

I'll be watching your posts for the very latest updates on Joy.  Have a great cruise😎

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Can Bird promise the Joy will have a complete OL? No. That will be just for us to remember...

The OL will be complete. And Footloose will be main production show. And there will be virtual reality in the Galaxy Pavilion.... for now. Soon, they will all go the way of the Seafood Buffet, Tea House, and Zen Garden 😞 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The OL will be complete.

Bird, I look forward to hearing your honest opinion of the Joy after the change. I don't know your cruising future, but I want to take the 10-day Joy cruise in Sept. 2025. I won't do it if the changes are as dramatic as I think they will be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The OL will be complete. And Footloose will be main production show. And there will be virtual reality in the Galaxy Pavilion.... for now. Soon, they will all go the way of the Seafood Buffet, Tea House, and Zen Garden 😞 

Wait?!?!?! Did NCL used to have a Tea House? Like a place to sit down and have a nice cup of tea? With some sandwiches? Scones with clotted cream? Ok, now I'm just dreaming. 🙂 But really, what is this tea house you speak of? It sounds interesting!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wait?!?!?! Did NCL used to have a Tea House? Like a place to sit down and have a nice cup of tea? With some sandwiches? Scones with clotted cream? Ok, now I'm just dreaming. 🙂 But really, what is this tea house you speak of? It sounds interesting!

The Joy was built for China so it had several Asian inspired venues.  

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruises/norwegian-joy-cruise-ship-renovation-china-americas

Edited by Liljo22

6 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

The Joy was built for China so it had several Asian inspired venues.  

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruises/norwegian-joy-cruise-ship-renovation-china-americas

Thank you!!! This American would have loved to have had a tea room onboard. The Observation Lounge just doesn't quite cut it for afternoon tea. 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wait?!?!?! Did NCL used to have a Tea House? Like a place to sit down and have a nice cup of tea? With some sandwiches? Scones with clotted cream? Ok, now I'm just dreaming.

Princess still does afternoon tea.

Er, not my cup of tea (yeah, sorry, I couldn't resist), but there's a population that loves it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/18/2023 at 12:04 AM, IAcruising said:

Bird, I look forward to hearing your honest opinion of the Joy after the change. I don't know your cruising future, but I want to take the 10-day Joy cruise in Sept. 2025. I won't do it if the changes are as dramatic as I think they will be.

As hinted above, The Birds will sail in a few weeks from now,,,, before the dry dock. Maybe we'll schedule something in the new year and see the changes. 

The Joy has not had the best track record for us. I think we have had 4-5 cancelled cruises on the Joy including the Joy's first cruise in the US (cancelled by NCL so they could do more non-revenue media/VIP cruises) and NCL's first post-pandemic cruise (was supposed to sail out of Jamaica to circumvent some CDC rules). 

On 9/17/2023 at 11:07 PM, Sand and Seas said:

It's amazing!  Somehow you always seem to be on our next ship a couple of months before us.... or this case just before we board. 

Assuming that you booked during the Latitudes triple-points promotion and you get the extra point for the room,,, you'll be an ambassador in no time. We were happy to see the 4x posted for our cruise last week.  We won't get as many points for our cruise on the Joy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Joy has not had the best track record for us.

We very much enjoyed our cruise on the Joy last September to Canada. We prefer the Encore, but the differences (today) are minimal. I liked SpiceH20 on the Joy, I did not like Maltings compared to the Encore. Everything else was nearly identical.

If we lose nearly 1/2 of the OL on the Joy, we will probably not sail her again.

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Assuming that you booked during the Latitudes triple-points promotion and you get the extra point for the room,,, you'll be an ambassador in no time. We were happy to see the 4x posted for our cruise last week.  We won't get as many points for our cruise on the Joy. 

No triple-point for this one.  We still have a ways to go before Ambassador.   We will have to see how much NCL (and CAS) really wants us to keep cruising with them🤔

• Like 1