Aboard Rotterdam — forget vpn’s

ghstudio

5 hours ago, aa7yy said:

I just spent 7 weeks on the Oosterdam and was able to use Express Vpn with both the old and the new. Did take me about a week emailing back and forth with Express Vpn but they got it working. No intelligent life onboard.

I’m on Oosterdam now and not able to get ExpressVPN to work over WiFi here. Any pointers? Never had any issue with ExpressVPN on Princess boats. 

On 9/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, WriterOnDeck said:

This hasn't been my experience, but I haven't sailed on the Rotterdam. I used my VPN a lot on the 200 days I spent on the Zuiderdam earlier this year, as well as on the Westerdam last fall. I use Public Internet Access (PIA) VPN.

The key is to disable the VPN when you log on to internet on the Navigator. THEN enable your VPN.

If at some point you get knocked off the internet, you have to remember to disable the VPN before logging back on. That happened several times for me. I thought the ship's internet wasn't working, but it was just that I needed to disable my VPN.

Yes, my mistake. It is Private Internet Access (not public). I don't have advice for those with issues, beyond what I posted here regarding procedure. I don't mess further with the settings (eg static...) -- well beyond my wheelhouse. Good luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wayfarer65 said:

I’m on Oosterdam now and not able to get ExpressVPN to work over WiFi here. Any pointers? Never had any issue with ExpressVPN on Princess boats. 

!st, don't try and deal with shipboard tech people. Remember these are the people that make Wine Sommeliers out of waitresses.

2nd Constantly update Express Vpn. They make "fixes" with out telling you.

3rd Try Help and email them, they answer and make fixes without telling you.

4th Where are you trying to Connect. I used Milan, then Miami

5th Options, Settings, Go to VPN Protocol and try all the choices. Probably end up on automatic.

6th Look for strongest signal, Try Crows Nest opposite the Exec tours desk. She has a router in her office.

6 hours ago, aa7yy said:

!st, don't try and deal with shipboard tech people. Remember these are the people that make Wine Sommeliers out of waitresses.

2nd Constantly update Express Vpn. They make "fixes" with out telling you.

3rd Try Help and email them, they answer and make fixes without telling you.

4th Where are you trying to Connect. I used Milan, then Miami

5th Options, Settings, Go to VPN Protocol and try all the choices. Probably end up on automatic.

6th Look for strongest signal, Try Crows Nest opposite the Exec tours desk. She has a router in her office.

Regarding #2 You should have version 11.10  Tap Help and down to the bottom

On 9/29/2023 at 5:30 AM, WriterOnDeck said:

Yes, my mistake. It is Private Internet Access (not public). I don't have advice for those with issues, beyond what I posted here regarding procedure. I don't mess further with the settings (eg static...) -- well beyond my wheelhouse. Good luck!

Thanks @WriterOnDeck! Were you on the Zuiderdam during the transition to Starlink this year? if so, did you experience any changes in using your PIA VPN? How was the internet, otherwise?

48 minutes ago, HAL_cruising38726 said:

Thanks @WriterOnDeck! Were you on the Zuiderdam during the transition to Starlink this year? if so, did you experience any changes in using your PIA VPN? How was the internet, otherwise?

Sadly, no. We were told while on the world cruise that it would come in May, but when I left in late July it was installed but not activated. It may have been for the Voyage of the Vikings, which started as I got off. So I have no comparison, and no experience using my VPN with Starlink.

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Sadly, no. We were told while on the world cruise that it would come in May, but when I left in late July it was installed but not activated. It may have been for the Voyage of the Vikings, which started as I got off. So I have no comparison, and no experience using my VPN with Starlink.

Thanks @WriterOnDeck 🙂, all info has been super helpful!

Edited by HAL_cruising38726

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone connected a windows based laptop to the internet on board ?

if so what was the process with not having the app on the laptop 

boarding the Rotterdam this weekend for 12 days and need to work  a bit unfortunately 

2 hours ago, Cwmw6i said:

boarding the Rotterdam this weekend for 12 days and need to work  a bit unfortunately 

I just connect my laptop by using a usb connection to my phone, which is running the app and connected to the ship wifi.

6 hours ago, Cwmw6i said:

When you are on a laptop (windows or Apple), you just go to navigator.hollandamerica.com and sign on to the internet with your package. There's not an app for a laptop to my knowledge.

10 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

When you are on a laptop (windows or Apple), you just go to navigator.hollandamerica.com and sign on to the internet with your package. There's not an app for a laptop to my knowledge.

Correct. Use the website on laptops. Apps are for mobile devices. 

• 1 month later...