Actually finding the solo cabins on the website. Having trouble.

ZachIsHere

I know only certain ships (I believe 4 of them) have solo cabins and I also realize they get taken pretty quickly but I can't find them at all on the website am I doing something wrong.

Usually in the middle of the selection process they ask you how many you have to a cabin and when I choose 1 person all I get is an increased price due to being a solo but never an option to see the price of a solo cabin.

Any tips from fellow solo cruisers? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

It looks like the three Pinnacle Class ships (Konningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam) have some solo cabins called OO Oceanview Category on deck one forward.

Check post #10 on this thread which has information about them. The thread might answer some of your questions.  Good Luck!

image.png.b00ad87940946a601e75ed9d4f845b4f.png

~Nancy

I just did a mock booking for a Konningsdam Mexico cruise.  After selecting number of guests as one then under "Choose Your Cabin Type" select the Oceanview cabin category.  You will next see the types of Oceanview cabins, such as Ocean View, Spa Ocean View, Family Ocean View and Single.  Click on SingleBe sure to compare to a regular Ocean View for one.  In this case the difference was only $90 to get a larger OV room for one person. 

image.png.ffeddd81cadea68067db962b4ba70165.png

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The easiest thing to do is to use one of the large travel sites and simply search by number of passengers, which will give you the cheapest price for every cruise for a single person. Sometimes it's a solo cabin, sometimes a single. Unlike Princess, NCL, Carnival, and Virgin, HAL still doesn't allow you to search by number of passengers, despite having solo cabins. I've never seen a reduced single supplement, as I do on other sites, so I just have to do searches for lower-demand or last-minute reductions, especially on Pacific Coastal cruises--I'm going on 3 in the next 30 days, all for under $100/nt for a solo guaranteed inside. Using a TA website also gets me some cheaper deals than on the HAL website, too, which I used for Mexico and Alaska to get decent deals. Unfortunately, solo deals are few now, although if you search Princess and NCL for solo fares, you'll see some occasional good deals. I at least take comfort in that HAL isn't doing what Celebrity is, by charging more than 200% supplement for a solo cruiser, including 800% for a Mexico cruise I was interested in. Another way to find solo deals is to search for 'single supplement cruise search' and to use the site with the fruit where prunes come from in its title, which nabbed me a $100/nt Virgin Voyages European cruise next October that sold out in a few days.

2 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

When I booked my upcoming Rotterdam cruise while on the Zaandam, it was $1,000 cheaper to get an inside cabin than the solo one. 

Zaandam doesn't have any dedicated solo cabins, you were being quoted a regular outside at a solo price.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oakridger said:

It looks like the three Pinnacle Class ships (Konningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam) have some solo cabins called OO Oceanview Category on deck one forward.

Check post #10 on this thread which has information about them. The thread might answer some of your questions.  Good Luck!

image.png.b00ad87940946a601e75ed9d4f845b4f.png

~Nancy

I booked one of the OO cabins, not realizing what it was although I was a solo cruiser, on my upcoming Hawaii cruise.  I just thought it was the cheapest Ocean View.  But when I bought Club Orange I got upgraded all the way to a D category cabin, which would have cost more than $1,000 more to book initially.  Dumb ignorant luck.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2023 at 7:53 PM, ZachIsHere said:

I know only certain ships (I believe 4 of them) have solo cabins and I also realize they get taken pretty quickly but I can't find them at all on the website am I doing something wrong.

Usually in the middle of the selection process they ask you how many you have to a cabin and when I choose 1 person all I get is an increased price due to being a solo but never an option to see the price of a solo cabin.

Any tips from fellow solo cruisers? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

There is a search engine (not a TA) called Cruiseplum. 

If you go to that site click on Search, and then Detailed Search in the upper right corner.  It will ask how many passengers and then your country.  Obviously specify 1 passenger and then your country - US or Canada.  Then a multipage list of cruises will appear with a column on the left where there are a lot of filters . 

Scroll down that list to Lines and Cabins and click the > to select Holland America.  There will be suites and balconies listed, but below them is an Oceanvew category.  Click the > symbol and a list will open up of the various Oceanview cabin types with their letter codes. 

Scroll down to the item Single Oceanview (OO) cabin and check the box, and on that big list will have been filtered down to a list of the sailings on which this cabin is available.

You'll have to go elsewhere to do your booking as this is strictly a search engine.  But you'll have all of the information you'll need to tell your TA, or HAL directly, exactly what you want.  And if you find one you like you can click the "I" all the way to the right it will show a lot of info on that sailing including the base fare, port charges and tips with a total and per day, not just for (OO) category but for all categories. 

There will also be a lot more ship/sailing info.  And if you click on the Book link it will take you to the page on HAL's site for that cruise.  You don't have to book there - you're free to see if your TA of choice can give you a better deal.

I hope you find this helpful.  As a newly solo traveler this will become my first stop in picking a cruise.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, richwmn said:

Zaandam doesn't have any dedicated solo cabins, you were being quoted a regular outside at a solo price.

Maybe I wasn’t clear - I was booking the Rotterdam cruise and looking for a solo cabin on that ship, which turned out to be $1,000 more than an inside. I just happened to be on the Zaandam at the time, having the future cruise consultant do the booking. 

3 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Maybe I wasn’t clear - I was booking the Rotterdam cruise and looking for a solo cabin on that ship, which turned out to be $1,000 more than an inside. I just happened to be on the Zaandam at the time, having the future cruise consultant do the booking. 

I suspect the difference in price was due to the fact that on the Rotterdam the 00 categories are all oceanview, so you got a good discount downgrading to an interior. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014