HOHO bus in Quebec City or in general

cangelmd

I haven’t ridden a HoHo bus in years, but on an upcoming Canada cruise it may be a good option in Quebec City. Does anyone know if the bus comes to the actual port - we are on Celebrity Summitt, so I believe we will be docking at the pier across the basin. Also, can you book after arrival, or should you book ahead of time. I’ve only done HoHo on a land trip, killing extra time at a convention or meeting. Thanks.

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Does anyone know if the bus comes to the actual port - we are on Celebrity Summitt, so I believe we will be docking at the pier across the basin.

Yes it does but make sure to check to confirm where you are docking-- smaller and medium sized ships will get the prime spot at Wharf 22 (which is the one you see in all the promotional pictures) and larger ships will be sent to Wharf 30 which is on the other side of the basin. One time on QE2 we were docked at Wharf 103 which was wayyyy down and had to be bussed into town. I would assume Summit would have 22 unless there was another ship that day that bumped her. 

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Also, can you book after arrival, or should you book ahead of time. I’ve only done HoHo on a land trip, killing extra time at a convention or meeting.

Depending on how much you want to see a HOHO bus tour really isn't necessary in Quebec City-- its relatively compact and very walkable. Even to get up the steep hill to the Chateau Frontenac you have the Funicular. A lot of the main tourist area is pedestrian only.

If you have a full day and want to cover a lot of ground quickly, mainly to cover the Citadel and Plains of Abraham, then it could be useful. But if you have a shorter port stay and just want to see the main sights in town it's not only unnecessary but actually a hindrance. 

You can check the wharf you will be at

https://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/vessel-schedules/cruise-ships-schedule

When were were  at wharf 22  the HOHO was out on the street  infront of the port entrance  a few years 

Maybe if an excursion booked through the cruise line the bus may come to the ship ??

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes it does but make sure to check to confirm where you are docking-- smaller and medium sized ships will get the prime spot at Wharf 22 (which is the one you see in all the promotional pictures) and larger ships will be sent to Wharf 30 which is on the other side of the basin. One time on QE2 we were docked at Wharf 103 which was wayyyy down and had to be bussed into town. I would assume Summit would have 22 unless there was another ship that day that bumped her. 

Depending on how much you want to see a HOHO bus tour really isn't necessary in Quebec City-- its relatively compact and very walkable. Even to get up the steep hill to the Chateau Frontenac you have the Funicular. A lot of the main tourist area is pedestrian only.

If you have a full day and want to cover a lot of ground quickly, mainly to cover the Citadel and Plains of Abraham, then it could be useful. But if you have a shorter port stay and just want to see the main sights in town it's not only unnecessary but actually a hindrance. 

Thanks for the responses, according to the link someone else posted, we will be at Pier 30, so across the basin.

Our issue is that one of our party is recovering from a broken ankle and repair surgery. She’s able to walk a good distance on pavement (2-3 miles), but is still a little uncomfortable with stairs and everyone is worried about the cobblestones. 
I can see how the bus could be a hindrance if most of the old town is pedestrian. Some of us do want to see the plains of Abraham. We may end up splitting up, or just play by ear.

Would taxis help in getting from the old city center to the battlefield park?

3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I can see how the bus could be a hindrance if most of the old town is pedestrian. Some of us do want to see the plains of Abraham. We may end up splitting up, or just play by ear.

Would taxis help in getting from the old city center to the battlefield park?

The walk from the Dufferin Terrace (upper town where the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac is) to the Citadel is about 15-20 minutes and can be done without any cobblestones.

The main square, Place Royale, is the main area with cobblestones-- the roads and sidewalks for the most part are smooth paved and even in area where the roadway is cobblestone in and around the older lower town, the sidewalks are smooth. 

We were just there last week.... We took the 2 hour walking tour from 

Tours Voir Québec, and can highly recommend it.  

I think it was less than 2 miles total walking.   I don't recall cobblestones being much of an issue but there was some walking up / down hills in the old town.  It was a great tour.  A Hoho bus will not to go to anywhere that our walking tour went....   Do you have time to do both?   The walking tour was very reasonable priced.

On 9/19/2023 at 11:31 AM, princeton123211 said:

The spot allocation is not maily base on the size of the ship. For exemple last week, the NCL Joy was at Wharf 22 and this week the Wharf 30 was occupied buy a Viking. The Wharf 30 is where de new cruise terminial is located. So most of the ship doiing debarkation/embarkation acivities will be located there. Of course that's not and absolute rule, notably when there is 3, 4, 5 ships in town at the same time.

For the OP whenever there's a ship at Wharf 30, i see shuttles and HoHo buses in the area. And as princeton123211 pointed out there a lot to see in a walkable distance.

Welcome to Québec !

And last week-end the Summit was parked at wharf 93. Personnaly that was the fist time a saw a cruise ship there. The Star Pride will also be there next week-end. It's located just after the ferry and it's where the Coast Guard is located. It's a very good location, much better than 102 or 103.

Edited by Qcsailor

1 hour ago, Qcsailor said:

And last week-end the Summit was parked at wharf 93. Personnaly that was the fist time a saw a cruise ship there.

We will be there in a week or so

many years ago I remember  docking there

back in the 70's

We did take the HOHO bus tour of Quebec City on June 2 while in port on the Zaandam.  We docked close enough in to walk to the pickup point (stop #3).  We were delighted to discover that the bus provided individual earphones (Packaged, as on a plane) which we plugged in and selected our language of choice.  The bus was quite full, stop #1 is Chateau de Frontenac.  This worked well for us as we drove by the main sights/sites but with narration.  Our walking was our choice and we kept it to a minimum since DH was a bit limited.  Beautiful city and I would love to return.Plus, the cost for the two of us was less than the cost of ship's excursion.

We’re we’re on an overnight from pier 30 last month. (On HAL) they offered a free shuttle bus from the terminal to the edge of town, continuously. It would have been otherwise a 5-10 min walk on flat sidewalks to get to the first retail/Commerical buildings and out of the industrial/port area.  

there were also taxis waiting outside the terminal.  We used one, after calling an Uber and finding it would be a 20 min wait for a Uber on a sat AM.  The price quoted by the taxi was only a dollar or two more to go fully into town, and other than having to use cash it couldn’t have been simpler! 

I also agree that the cobblestones in old town aren’t an issue. It’s not like some cities where they are EVERYWHERE.   They are mainly in the few busiest pedestrian alleys, and still there are often traditional sidewalks alongside them.  The hills, however…those might be troublesome for some!