Virgin fires a shot across Celebrity’s bow

kk20

22 minutes ago, eroller said:

Brilliant marketing by Virgin and 100% true.  I’m glad they are calling out other players in the industry.  All the majors are guilty of charging more while cutting back and providing less.  Yes they all put a spin on it but the end result is the same.  Pay more to get less.  

I’ve only sailed on one VV cruise and absolutely loved it.  I was prepared to hate it and the opposite was true.  I even put down a future deposit while on the cruise, which is something I never do.  

Why would you be prepared to hate it (VV) without experiencing the VV cruise before stepping onboard, but yet you booked the VV cruise? 

6 minutes ago, doghog said:

Why would you be prepared to hate it (VV) without experiencing the VV cruise before stepping onboard, but yet you booked the VV cruise? 

Because based on what I read I thought it was going to be a bunch of self absorbed millennials taking instagram selfies of themselves every second.  It wasn’t like that at all and all ages were represented.  The atmosphere was fantastic and unlike any other cruise line.  Being LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 I never felt more welcomed.  

Why did I book in the first place?  Because I love trying new experiences especially in the cruising world.  Even if I think I might not like it.  I love being surprised and I was, in a great way.  I’m not loyal to any one brand as I like variety too much, and rarely repeat a ship.  

The next cruise is on Celebrity but I’ll be back on Virgin for sure.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eroller said:

Because based on what I read I thought it was going to be a bunch of self absorbed millennials taking instagram selfies of themselves every second.  It wasn’t like that at all and all ages were represented.  The atmosphere was fantastic and unlike any other cruise line.  Being LGBTQ 🏳️‍🌈 I never felt more welcomed.  

Why did I book in the first place?  Because I love trying new experiences especially in the cruising world.  Even if I think I might not like it.  I loved being surprised and I was, in a great way.  I’m not loyal to any one brand as I like variety too much, and rarely repeat a ship.  

I've heard nothing but good things about Virgin.  Glad you felt welcomed and comfortable also!
People will always find something to nitpick about. Shorter cruises, yet I see 7 and 8 day itineraries Q1 2024. Virgin will only get stronger, as they prove out their fee model, which doesn't nickle and dime you for food/drink/wifi.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

I've heard nothing but good things about Virgin.  Glad you felt welcomed and comfortable also!
People will always find something to nitpick about. Shorter cruises, yet I see 7 and 8 day itineraries Q1 2024. Virgin will only get stronger, as they prove out their fee model, which doesn't nickle and dime you for food/drink/wifi.

I sure felt welcomed.  More than any other line.  Both by crew and fellow pax. And that as a first timer.  The most inclusive line of any I’ve sailed.  It was actually a bit inspiring.  Even my husband loved it and he is a bit of a curmudgeon. Great guy but a traditionalist for the most part.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, doghog said:

I felt exactly the same way.  Wanted something "different" from X, figured what could be more different than VV, thought it would make us love Celebrity more and want to come back, had the exact opposite effect - loved it, back home 3 days and booked another VV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, eroller said:

Why did I book in the first place?  Because I love trying new experiences especially in the cruising world.  Even if I think I might not like it.  I love being surprised and I was, in a great way.  I’m not loyal to any one brand as I like variety too much, and rarely repeat a ship.  

Exactly why we don't book or book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, etc. based on others experiences, opinions, negative or positive.  I respect what they have to say but never been influenced by any of it but we'll decide for ourselves based only on our experiences. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, doghog said:

Exactly why we don't book or book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, etc. based on others experiences, opinions, negative or positive.  I respect what they have to say but never been influenced by any of it but we'll decide for ourselves based only on our experiences. 

Same here.  If I listened to all the gripes of others I would probably never cruise again.  

It was actually Virgin’s own initial marketing that turned me off.  I was still excited to try a new brand but honestly didn’t think I would like it.  They have since changed their marketing to be far more inclusive of various age groups and demographics.  I think it’s much more representative of the brand today.  You might say they have evolved.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be open to trying VV as I've heard many positives. But, thanks to their adults-only policy, I've got another 14 years before I can even think about booking one. It's their prerogative not to allow kids, but it does cut off a sizable demographic in their 30s/40s. 

• Like 3

Based on this thread we booked a 5-night cruise on Scarlet Lady (Oct. 8-13). Excited to try the food, but because we booked so close to sailing we're going to have to keep our fingers crossed that we can get reservations in some of the restaurants. They are all totally booked on the app as of now but they apparently hold 35% of them back until the day of boarding. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Based on this thread we booked a 5-night cruise on Scarlet Lady (Oct. 8-13). Excited to try the food, but because we booked so close to sailing we're going to have to keep our fingers crossed that we can get reservations in some of the restaurants. They are all totally booked on the app as of now but they apparently hold 35% of them back until the day of boarding. 

I guess you will be boarding early!

11 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

42 minutes ago, keysey222 said:

I'd be open to trying VV as I've heard many positives. But, thanks to their adults-only policy, I've got another 14 years before I can even think about booking one. It's their prerogative not to allow kids, but it does cut off a sizable demographic in their 30s/40s. 

We met a couple who were taking their first trip away from their 3 year old - between sisters and grandparents babysitting they were so grateful to have this treat.

• Like 1

I will try Oceania, Crystal, Viking and Cunard; VV is just not for me, period.  Nothing in its advertising targets me and I would rather branch out in a different direction than that.  I know myself quite well and what I want in a cruise/itinerary, so going forward it'll be a little challenging after my next four booked cruises.  Yes, I have done my research, making that decision all on my own; however, I am certainly happy for those who are going for it, along with those who find it to be a very excellent experience for their personal desires.  I am not a foodie, but enjoy having a variety of restaurants, or one with quality foods that will make me something special.  How can I say I do not want to try VV without even experiencing it?...I just did!  

Safe Travels!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vwlmember said:

The delayed their newest ship indefinitely and just borrowed another $550 million after borrowing $550 million last year. Their financial stability at this time is questionable.

I think the financial stability of all cruise lines is questionable right now.  They have all extensively borrowed (except MSC) during COVID and are now trying to renegotiate the debt.  It was only this last quarter that the RCG and NCLH finally posted a quarterly profit.  All losses until just recently.  Carnival Corp. has yet to post a profit since COVID.  

Edited by eroller

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

You should be able to experience them all.  They hold out a percentage of tables at all the restaurants for onboard bookings.  Connect to the wifi in the terminal while you wait to board, and start trying to book restaurants right then and there.  The food is excellent, and the variety, quality, and presentation are superb.  I love the buffet concept ... it's not really a buffet.  A food hall where you order at your table from a variety of different cuisines.  Everything made fresh, no grubby paws digging through the food, and very little waste.  Just one of many things I absolutely loved about VV.  And unlike other lines where there are so many cut backs and you feel nickel & dimed at every turn, you won't get that feeling on Virgin at all.  You're in for a treat! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eroller said:

I sure felt welcomed.  More than any other line.  Both by crew and fellow pax. And that as a first timer.  The most inclusive line of any I’ve sailed.  It was actually a bit inspiring.  Even my husband loved it and he is a bit of a curmudgeon. Great guy but a traditionalist for the most part.  

As an ally (and daughter of, and parent of), I loved how queer-friendly VV was. I found it thrilling that staff could wear whatever uniform they wanted without regard to gender labels, that they were free to wear make-up or not, show their tats and piercings. It felt so much more welcoming and authentic, like they could bring their whole selves to work, and that guests were encouraged to do the same.

It's also the only line I've been on where I actually went to and enjoyed the evening entertainment. 

I loved the restaurants and food, and while I missed the drink packages from Celebrity, I was also healthier as I didn't drink nearly as much. Yes, I was doing the math in my head on the additional spend, and that was a bit of a bummer. But my liver and waistline were both well served by that.

Sure, the staterooms weren't very plush, but I don't spend much time in my room (awake) anyway. 

I do wish they had better itineraries ex-US and very much wish they'd send a ship to the west coast, as I'm not keen on sailing from Florida anymore.

• Like 6

On 9/19/2023 at 6:08 PM, Baggy178 said:

In all fairness who needs a cabin cleaned more than once a day anyway.

But for the rest Virgin seems to have their finger on the pulse.

Me. Part of why I'm moving on from Carnival. Trying to decide who to move to. I thought it would be Celebrity, but I think it's because their marketing in the 90s was so good. Lol. Sounds like it might be VV. That status match I think clinched the deal. That's why MSC was the first trial run booked. Cruising MSC next week.

6 minutes ago, young_k92 said:

Can this be true? Add no kids and status match. VV is definitely the next line to try. Appreciate all this info!

100% true.  It will be unlike any other ship buffet you have experienced.  Also no main dining room.  Every restaurant is a specialty restaurant and included.  

The newest NCL ships (Viva & Prima) have copied Virgin’s Food Hall concept, but those ships still offer a traditional buffet as well.  I think too big to manage just a food hall alone.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ccqueenanne said:

As an ally (and daughter of, and parent of), I loved how queer-friendly VV was. I found it thrilling that staff could wear whatever uniform they wanted without regard to gender labels, that they were free to wear make-up or not, show their tats and piercings. It felt so much more welcoming and authentic, like they could bring their whole selves to work, and that guests were encouraged to do the same.

It's also the only line I've been on where I actually went to and enjoyed the evening entertainment. 

I loved the restaurants and food, and while I missed the drink packages from Celebrity, I was also healthier as I didn't drink nearly as much. Yes, I was doing the math in my head on the additional spend, and that was a bit of a bummer. But my liver and waistline were both well served by that.

Sure, the staterooms weren't very plush, but I don't spend much time in my room (awake) anyway. 

I do wish they had better itineraries ex-US and very much wish they'd send a ship to the west coast, as I'm not keen on sailing from Florida anymore.

You hit the nail on so many heads!   We also loved that freeness about the crew and became friends with many of them.  

As VV expands the itineraries are getting more interesting.  Europe and even Australia now.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, young_k92 said:

Me. Part of why I'm moving on from Carnival. Trying to decide who to move to. I thought it would be Celebrity, but I think it's because their marketing in the 90s was so good. Lol. Sounds like it might be VV. That status match I think clinched the deal. That's why MSC was the first trial run booked. Cruising MSC next week.

The difference between someone looking at other cruise lines for reasons including not having a room cleaned more than once a day and someone who doesn't really care if a room isn't cleaned that regularly is the reason why cruise companies can't always get it right.

Multiply that by thousands of passengers and you can see it even more clearly.

Factor in inevitable post-lockdown cost-cutting measures and it's obvious the future of cruising is changing irrevocably.

The golden age of inclusive fine dining and old-fashioned Blue Riband service simple doesn't work on mega-ships trying to recoup two years of lost revenue.

It's a bit like seeing visible tattoos on a cop where once they were the preserve of gang-bangers, jailbirds and matelots - you might wish it wasn't so but that's the way of the world unfortunately.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 2