Sydney Port of Departure

Hi Folks -Ā 

Ā 

We're on the Ovation on March 12th. I can't find anywhere which of the two ports we are leaving from.Ā  I know I have time to figure it out, but we're coming in a couple of days early, and I want to find a place to stay close to the port.Ā  Does anyone have (1) any idea which port we would be leaving from; and/or (2) a good recommendation on a place to stay (that won't break the bank).Ā  We're big fans of VRBO, and there are several nice places to choose from.Ā  I just want to make sure we don't choose something too far away.Ā  Thank you!

23 minutes ago, birdofsong said:

Hi Folks -Ā 

Ā 

We're on the Ovation on March 12th. I can't find anywhere which of the two ports we are leaving from.Ā  I know I have time to figure it out, but we're coming in a couple of days early, and I want to find a place to stay close to the port.Ā  Does anyone have (1) any idea which port we would be leaving from; and/or (2) a good recommendation on a place to stay (that won't break the bank).Ā  We're big fans of VRBO, and there are several nice places to choose from.Ā  I just want to make sure we don't choose something too far away.Ā  Thank you!

Ovation will not fit under the bridge, so definitely will be the OPT at Circular Quay.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Hi Folks -Ā 

Ā 

Sydney hotels are expensive, especially close to the harbour. However the public transport system of Rail. Light Rail and Ferry allows you the convenience to book cheaper hotels a bit further out.Try looking around the Haymarket, Darling Harbour area you may pick up a bargain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Hi Folks -Ā 

Ā 

What is VRBO?

šŸ¤”

15 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Hi Folks -Ā 

Ā 

I am on a Royal Princess cruise in October and I got a VERY reasonable rate from Mercantile Hotel on George Street in the Rocks - walking distance to the cruise terminal. It is a small, older hotel, but the location and price was amazing and I only plan to sleep there.Ā  Very central location!

Ā 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gissy1 said:

I am on a Royal Princess cruise in October and I got a VERY reasonable rate from Mercantile Hotel on George Street in the Rocks - walking distance to the cruise terminal. It is a small, older hotel, but the location and price was amazing and I only plan to sleep there.Ā  Very central location!

Ā 

Love staying in old pubs they have a story and a sole . What was the rateĀ  ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Love staying in old pubs they have a story and a sole . What was the rateĀ  ?

Pretty well the price quoted.Ā  $276 for two nights.Ā  But I just looked and they are pretty booked up.Ā  They do not have a lot of rooms. However, they had indicated they are doing renovations, so perhaps that is why everything looks like it is booked up.Ā  Would not hurt to contact them.

Ā 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gissy1 said:

Pretty well the price quoted.Ā  $276 for two nights.Ā  But I just looked and they are pretty booked up.Ā  They do not have a lot of rooms. However, they had indicated they are doing renovations, so perhaps that is why everything looks like it is booked up.Ā  Would not hurt to contact them.

Ā 

Irish Pub, good food and great booze also close to OPT, however remember you get what you pay for as far as the room is concerned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, birdofsong said:

Vacation Rentals by Owner.Ā  Great prices and nice, clean places to stay.

The closest VRBO property listed looks really interesting, although is a bit further away from the overseas passenger terminal than it shows on the VRBO map.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gissy1 said:

Ā 

The Mercantile can get a bit noisy if youā€™re an early sleeper, if not you might be the one making all the noise. LOL

• Like 2

If you are willing to go a short train or light rail ride away from Circular Quay up near Central Railway Station, Valentine on George may suit, it is currently listed for $360 Aus for 2 nights ($180 a night for the 10th and 11th of March).

Train/light rail/ferry/bus passes are very reasonably priced in Sydney and you can buy a combined ticket for all the public transport.

The rooms are good (clean, good size and not too noisy) but there are not really any hotel services such as a restaurant or seating in the lobby but there are plenty of cheap eating places in the area.

Another cheap option are the Ibis hotels but the rooms are very small.

• Like 1

Disclaimer - I have not stayed there yet! Booked the Great Southern in George St for one night pre-cruise in April '24. $130 NZD. It has a 'good' rating, but the reviews are pretty good, and we don't need luxury, just a bed. Very handy to Central Station, and a Woolies Metro just round the corner for last minute supplies. I couldn't believe that Rydges on the Rocks wanted $510NZD for the same night. I know its very handy to the OPT but $380 for the privilege is ridiculous.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gissy1 said:

Ā 

We stayed here this time last year, probably wouldn't again. It was a Sunday night, not too noisy after 9.30 when the music stopped. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. I loved the old carved wood, cast iron and tiled fireplace in our room. The bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom. Its only three floors but there is no lift (wasn't expecting one) The stairs are narrow and steep, and I had a bit of difficulty. Just be aware that there are not many rooms ensuite, many have a shared bathroom.

Edited by Belmont Babe
Clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Belmont Babe said:

Disclaimer - I have not stayed there yet! Booked the Great Southern in George St for one night pre-cruise in April '24. $130 NZD. It has a 'good' rating, but the reviews are pretty good, and we don't need luxury, just a bed. Very handy to Central Station, and a Woolies Metro just round the corner for last minute supplies. I couldn't believe that Rydges on the Rocks wanted $510NZD for the same night. I know its very handy to the OPT but $380 for the privilege is ridiculous.

I have stayed at Great Southern several times and it is definitely value for money.Ā  Pub downstairs but noise does not filter up to rooms.Ā  Has a separate dining room where you can get a good cooked breakfast for $16 plus other meals during day and evening.Ā  Ā I always check this hotel first whenever I visit Sydney.Ā  Old Art Deco style heritage listed hotel.Ā  Ā Across road from Central Railway, light rail system just opposite which will take you to Cruise Terminal within 5 minutes.Ā  Has always been clean and tidy whenever I visit.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I am also a fan of the Great Southern Hotel. Surrounded by places to eat, right opposite the light rail stopdown to Circular Quay, good prices. A large older hotel, but bathrooms are modern enough.

Agree, much better option than the Mercantile,

• Like 1

Thanks much.Ā  I have booked the Great Southern.Ā  I have to book a hotel for two nights after we get back into Sydney.Ā  Do you know if it will easy to get from the Great Southern to the airport???Ā Ā 

Ā 

Thanks, again!!!

Edited by birdofsong

1 hour ago, birdofsong said:

Thanks much.Ā  I have booked the Great Southern.Ā  I have to book a hotel for two nights after we get back into Sydney.Ā  Do you know if it will easy to get from the Great Southern to the airport???Ā Ā 

Ā 

Thanks, again!!!

Central Station isa few minutes away, train will take you into the Airport terminal,too easyšŸ˜€

• Like 1