90 days Schengen rule

lovetocruise1953

26 minutes ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

, I guess when you get on they log your passport and then when you get off.

The Schengen passport control is when you enter the Schengen area (airport in Spain) and when you again leave the Schengen area (probably again by air) - cruise ship might check your passport but for other reasons Schengen as long as all ports of call is within Schengen.

Also note that if your entry into Spain is next year you might need an ETIAS (check when it is enforced). 

7 hours ago, lovetocruise1953 said:

I thought that it would be the case but am intrigued how it works, I guess when you get on they log your passport and then when you get off. As you don’t do any passport control in the ports. 
Plenty of time for more trips though lol…..

When cruising, your time in Schengen starts with first arrival, which in your case will be when you arrive at a Spanish airport (assuming you are flying and not driving). Your time in zone will continue when aboard the ship, unless you visit a non-Schengen country.

If visiting a non-Schengen country, during the cruise, your time in zone accrues from embarkation until departing the last Schengen port. If the cruise visits a Schengen country, after departing the non-Schengen port, the time in zone starts again and continues until you visit another non-Schengen port, or return to UK.

22 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

When cruising, your time in Schengen starts with first arrival, which in your case will be when you arrive at a Spanish airport (assuming you are flying and not driving). Your time in zone will continue when aboard the ship, unless you visit a non-Schengen country.

If visiting a non-Schengen country, during the cruise, your time in zone accrues from embarkation until departing the last Schengen port. If the cruise visits a Schengen country, after departing the non-Schengen port, the time in zone starts again and continues until you visit another non-Schengen port, or return to UK.

Good explanation.  I’ve never quite understood how it works when you are on a cruise ship.  If I come from the US, visit a Schengen port (the counter starts), stay aboard visiting Schengen ports for 30 days then spend time on land only in Schengen countries, before boarding another cruise that visits Schengen ports for 30 days before stopping in a non-Schengen port, I’m only allowed to be on land for 30 days?  However, if any time during that trip my passport is scanned in a non-Schengen country by either land or ship, the timer restarts?

23 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Good explanation.  I’ve never quite understood how it works when you are on a cruise ship.  If I come from the US, visit a Schengen port (the counter starts), stay aboard visiting Schengen ports for 30 days then spend time on land only in Schengen countries, before boarding another cruise that visits Schengen ports for 30 days before stopping in a non-Schengen port, I’m only allowed to be on land for 30 days?  However, if any time during that trip my passport is scanned in a non-Schengen country by either land or ship, the timer restarts?

Affirmative, if you booked 2 - 30 day cruises that only visit Schengen ports, you could only stay another 30 days on a land tour.

Example - A TA cruise stops at the Azores. If the cruise next docks in Southern Ireland or UK, the TA only costs 1 day in zone. However, if the TA departs Azores and next docks in a Schengen port, the counter starts in the Azores and continues on the sea days across the Atlantic.

• Like 1