Sea Terrace Beds, Are They Really Firm?

scottie99

13 hours ago, scottie99 said:

They said a mattress topper was absolutely essentially and, even at that only helped a little.

Beds are very firm and the mattresses are thin compared to a normal bed. We were told no mattress toppers on our last sailing on Scarlet Lady. We will ask again in November on Valiant Lady. I can sleep ok on most anything, but my wife can have a hard time with the stiffness of the beds on VV. The Suites have absolutely lovely beds, we had a Cheeky Corner Suite for our first cruise and that was heaven. 🙂 

• Like 2

They are very firm and as Walter said very thin. When I asked for a topper or something back in 2021 they just brought a couple of the comforters and folded them up on the bed. Didn't really help a lot. I cruise again in December and have thought about shipping a small memory foam travel pad to my hotel so I could carry it on.

I have joint issues and firm beds are not fun. I will say this though as firm as these beds are they are comfy compared to the beds I had on Princess - one was in a concierge mini-suite with all the new bedding and the other one was just a balcony.

39 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

I called Virgin to ask if we could reserve a topper only to be told they don’t do them at all!

Interesting.  They certainly used to.  You can order one from Amazon in a compressed bag and just leave it after the cruise.  Crew will either take it to use themselves or trash it,  If you are going to leave it, be sure you offer it to them so they can't be accused of stealing.

I wouldn’t say a topper was necessary, it might make it a bit more comfortable for a 7 day cruise. It was better than the bed on Navigator of the Seas, the first night in that bed was rough. My back is pretty messed up from past injuries, so I super picky. As Walter said, the beds in the rockstar suite are perfect. 

9 minutes ago, Fogcityca13 said:

I wouldn’t say a topper was necessary, it might make it a bit more comfortable for a 7 day cruise. It was better than the bed on Navigator of the Seas, the first night in that bed was rough. My back is pretty messed up from past injuries, so I super picky. As Walter said, the beds in the rockstar suite are perfect. 

I have an upgrade bid pending but asked how much if I paid for the upgrade.  They quoted £8500 pounds!

3 hours ago, scottie99 said:

I called Virgin to ask if we could reserve a topper only to be told they don’t do them at all!

Any time i've gotten one, it felt like it wasn't technically a "topper."  i believe they just fold up an extra duvet and shove it under the sheets.

There's also the fact that shoreside sailor services has no clue what they're talking about more frequently than should happen at this point...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

There's also the fact that shoreside sailor services has no clue what they're talking about more frequently than should happen at this point...

This absolutely.  You will get better info here, on YouTube, etc. than from shoreside sailor services.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scottie99 said:

I have an upgrade bid pending but asked how much if I paid for the upgrade.  They quoted £8500 pounds!

Yeah, there is usually an ok deal when the first announce the itineraries. If you look at the winter 2025 you can can get a decent deal. I’ll always try a minimum bid on an upgrade, but no way I’d pay that. Rockstar is nice but I wouldn’t over pay for it. We had a blast in an XL with $1200 of on board credit.

We have sailed nine different cruise lines and as far as I'm concerned (and everyone likes something different), the regular beds on VV were just about the most uncomfortable and I got very little sleep unless I slept in the hammock.  On our first VV cruise, we had a rockstar suite and those beds were lovely.