A few questions about how b2b cruises work....

kansas2018

We will be starting our 1st cruise in Vancouver and ending it in San Diego and expect to show our US  passports upon boarding. However our 2nd cruise of the b2b will start in San Diego and end in Auckland NZ on the same ship which will require visas. Both of our cruises have separate booking numbers and as far as I can tell are not linked.So I don't know how Holland would know we are continuing on to Australia and ask to see our visas if needed in Vancouver.

My questions: Will we need to get off the ship in San Diego and check back in so immigration can view our visas for Australia and NZ  for the 2nd cruise or is this handled onboard? And yes we will be changing cabins. Does anyone have experience doing a trip like this.

Thanks

I have not been to New Zealand, I have done b2b cruises that I made seperate reservations months apart. By the time we boarded they had them linked together with no input on my part. How various ports handle B2B cruisers varies significantly. But you will receive notice in your stateroom a few days before the 1st cruise ends giving you instructions on how to proceed.

• Like 1

First, US Immigration will not know, or care about your NZ visa. The ship will need to see it, as they can't bring someone to a country who is not eligible to enter that country. So HAL will be asking for proof of your visa status. I doubt it has anything to do with the procedures on your day in San Diego.

Second, is it really a visa, or a travel authorization? Assuming you are a US citizen, I don't think you need a visa, just a travel authorization, which are very easy to get. You will get a receipt, and the authorization will be digitally attached to your passport. HAL will probably ask to see the receipt.

How the turnaround day goes in US ports is typically the ship needs to "zero". This might mean Immigration checks on board, or ashore. Knowing San Diego, I suspect it will be on board, but I can't guarantee that.

HAL knows you are on a B2B with two different booking numbers. They see this quite frequently.

• Like 1