Re: Mercury...How long does Noro Virus last?

Everydaymatters

This is from the New York State Health Department site:

How can Norwalk virus infection be prevented?

The following recommendations may reduce the risk of acquiring or spreading the infection:

• wash hands thoroughly after each toilet visit and before preparing food.
  • people who experience nausea, vomiting or diarrhea should not attend school or work and should not handle food for others while ill.
  • avoid drinking untreated water.
  • cook shellfish thoroughly before eating.

So it sounds like wash your hands and avoid the raw oysters.

I just returned from the Mercury yesterday.

The virus lasts 24 to 48 hours and yes, they do quarantine you to your stateroom while it is active. They do not however enforce it. This is part of the problem. Also, even though a woman came down with it two days into the sailing they did not start to serve on the lines as soon as they should have in my opinion. Of eight of us, five were ill. Approx. one third of the ship had it on the March 6th sailing and the hospital and Dr could not keep up it the patients and ran out of medications. You had to take a number and they would call you approx six hours or more later to come and see the Dr.

May will not be a problem since the flu season will be over. Mercury has allot of older passengers and as we know their immune systems are weaker and it allows the disease to spread very quickly.

Ports are very nice and you don't need to book a tour to see the cliff divers in Acapulco. You can walk from the ship if you are "in shape" or take a four or five dollar taxi ride.................bargain them down..........three or four dollars is all it is worth for the entire cab.........Very close but up a pretty steep hill.

Enjoy............

Travel, just to clarify. Norovirus is not the same as the flu. They are totally diffrent. While this is a common time of year for both, Norovirus is not limited to the winter months like flu is. Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness...high fever, body aches, cough, sore throat, headache. Norovirus is typically vomiting, diarrhea, sometimes fever, body aches. So cruising in May would not guarantee a person that Norovirus would not be around, although flu should definitely be gone by then.

While hand sanitizers won't hurt, they are really not helpful in preventing the spread of either disease, as they are anti-bacterial wipes and flu and Norovirus are viruses. The best defense is frequent and thorough handwashing.

I am a pediatric nurse and I was scheduled for surgery 3/6, 2 weeks after returning home from B2B cruises. In addition to being exposed to both the flu and Norovirus in my work (we've seem umpteen cases of flu starting about 3 weeks ago...it hit late this year) as well as on two ships, I was able to avoid coming down with either of these two nasty viruses. I washed my hands constantly, always between patients, but sometimes even while working on the same patient. I made sure to keep my hands away from my face. I sang "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" twice while washing my hands (that's the length of time we were taught in nursing school to do a thorough job, but most nurses are too busy to get through even the first verse!LOL).

Sorry to ramble, but so many people get stomach viruses and the flu mixed up. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Stay healthy,

Jo-Ann

Truth is it doesn't matter what name they give it. GI viruses are GI viruses and truth is Norwalk is what they used to call the 24 hour virus. Or one of the many 24 hour viruses. I am also an Ex Pediatric nurse. I think we have the advantage of being exposed to sooo many things that we have developed strong immune systems. I now work in Geriatrics we have seen a lot of what we are guessing was norwalk virus. By the time the CDC identifies the exact "bug" the outbreak has usually subsided. The real reason to have them involved is to make sure that they are not dealing with food poisoning or Salmonella outbreak. No matter where you go if there are crowds of people the potential exists that viruses will be spread. Wash your hands... Scientists now say that it is the rubbing motion of the hands that actually kills more germs than the antiseptic wipes...so good old fashioned hand washing is still the best defense! There are no gaurantees in life enjoy!!!!

Any other nominees?

I used "my country tis of thee" (AKA God Save the Queen, depending on which side of the pond one calls home) on our Constellation cruise; that worked, too.

I've always heard you are to sing the "Happy Birthday Song" and wash hands in soapy warm water the entire time you are singing (to yourself of course).

One way (at least this is what I've read) to avoid getting the Norovirus on a ship is to avoid the buffets. We always eat in the dining room: breakfast, lunch and dinner (unless an excursion prevents us).

hello,

We are on a Mercury sailing soon, and I greatly appreciate the respondents taking the time to write on the Norwalk virus. While I am not seeking medical advice on this board, in general terms does this virus pose any special threat to a diabetic? My wife has diabetes (well controlled)and she is really looking forward to our cruise as she has had a very difficult past six months dealing with two very elderly parents who at times have been outright mean to her.

I do not want to alarm her because she tends to worry, but is there anything that I should do toward protecting her health before, during, and after the cruise other than frequent handwashing.

Thanks,

Fred

The only threat to your wife's diabetic state would be if she has a lot of vomiting, she would need to decrease her insulin. Her requirements will change if she isn't holding down food. Just be sure to bring her glucometer with her and I'm sure she will be fine. Sometimes with an infection, blood sugars can also rise, so it's always a good idea to check the blood sugars.

I got the Noro on an NCL cruise three years ago and was quarantined for 48 hours, along with several hundred others.

I could not have gone out if I wanted to as I was sicker than I ever remember being. I had a high fever, vomiting, etc, and was hallucinating at one point. Being a solo sailor on that voyage, I was pretty frightened.

I was not myself for a week or so after arriving home.

We were on a South American cruise a year ago February and both of us contacted the Norovirus. In order to receive a refund on shore excursions you had to report to the clinic on board, have verification that you did have the virus, return the tickets and the medical office took care of notifying the excursion office for your refund. We had a refund within a day. We were on the Norwegian Crown.

Hope this helps.

J

we are going on mercury in a few weeks...................my boys are 4 and 7 and constantly using their hands to eat and just basically sucking on their fingers! :eek: what else besides handwashing can you suggests to keep them healthy while we are onboard? i read somewhere to get rid of the bedding??? should i pack my own??

my younger son has asthma.............so catching anything would be a nightmare...................

Uh Oh. I'm booked in May on the Mercury. Was wondering how long the Noro virus lasts? Is it true that if you get it you'll be quarantined to your room? I'm going to take plenty of hand sanitizers and hope for the best.

Do use the hand sanitizers, wash your hands often, hope for the best and yes, you will be quarantined which is the way it should be. NMNita

Archived