Exchanging USD to Yen onboard

floralscent

Do not try to exchange foreign currency on a cruise ship.  To state that the exchange rate will be atrocious is a kind statement.  The "ease" will cost you dearly.

We spent a month in Japan in 2018 and will return next spring.  We had absolutely no issues using our US credit cards and ATM cards while in Japan.

3 hours ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

You can exchange currency at guest relations.

They don't charge a fee, they just have an exchange rate such that they give you less Yen than it cost the ship to purchase that Yen (the ship gives you a worse exchange rate than they received).

They will only exchange US Dollar cash for Japanese Yen cash.

GR will exchange any "convertible" currency but may first convert say £ to $ then the $ to the end currency. Exchange rate is always poor.

Whatever you do don't change any left over currency back use it for tips. The ship will handle all currencies for the crew. 

I've always found the best exchange rate at an ATM at a Major Bank using a debit card.    I use a debit card that refunds ATM fees.

Like you suggested you will probably not require much cash.   We just got back from a two week trip to Canada (I know not Japan) we commented on our flight home that even though we had a bunch of change from past trips we didn't spend a single penny in cash.    We really didn't find any place that didn't accept credit cards.

I use my local bank to get a smallish amount to have on hand when start the trip, then as stated above, use my bank Debit card to get cash on site. Much better rates.

But if you are not looking at much cash, the lower exchange rate on board is not a big deal really. 

Agree using chargecards is very handy and usual, but I need cash, even small amounts for tipping our guides and servers, and buying things off small vendors that I may happen upon. 

But again, I have some ‘local’ cash I get from my bank when I start and add as needed using ATMs.

And when I use a chargecard I have them charge it in local currencies…if you say US (or UK pounds!) than its the local business that sets the exchange rate and that can be much lower. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We just got back from a two week trip to Canada (I know not Japan) we commented on our flight home that even though we had a bunch of change from past trips we didn't spend a single penny in cash.    We really didn't find any place that didn't accept credit cards.

I have never been but recall reading that Japan isn't as 'modern' in this sense and that cash is more widely used, sometimes the only option in some venues?

Happy if that isn't the case but I have been doing a bit of research ahead of sailing round Japan on Millenium next year. Could be muddled thought!

If you want some Yen before you arrive - check with your bank before you go.  For example, Bank of America can get me any currency I want for no fee, just the bank rate for exchange.  If I am going to some obscure country where it is easier to use cash and difficult to find an ATM (or I am arriving in the middle of the night and don't want to bother) - I will sometimes get a little cash before I travel just so I have some.  

1 hour ago, Shiba_Lover said:

If you want some Yen before you arrive - check with your bank before you go.  For example, Bank of America can get me any currency I want for no fee, just the bank rate for exchange.  If I am going to some obscure country where it is easier to use cash and difficult to find an ATM (or I am arriving in the middle of the night and don't want to bother) - I will sometimes get a little cash before I travel just so I have some.  

Just check what they consider the "bank" exchange rate.  I recently had my DIL exchange at Huntington bank and they supposedly used a Bank exchange rate which was much lower than what I saw on the web or using the rate that some of the tour guides have stated for my payments to them. 

26 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Just check what they consider the "bank" exchange rate.  I recently had my DIL exchange at Huntington bank and they supposedly used a Bank exchange rate which was much lower than what I saw on the web or using the rate that some of the tour guides have stated for my payments to them. 

I've never personally had any issues.  Everyone's bank as well as the account/plan's and associated fees, etc they have may vary.  So, yes - agree - best to actually check with your bank.