Just a PSA for anyone struggling to get their refund still

AlaskaNewbie68

On 9/23/2023 at 7:16 AM, AlaskaNewbie68 said:

I called Amex to see what could be done. They said they are making a note of the issue and in 10 days we can file for a dispute, if the refund doesn't come in.

Opening a dispute may delay the refund further- you’ll get a provisional credit on your statement, but it can take much longer to get it closed out.  This happens with canceled show tickets, order screwups or whatever too.  If they’re in the process of refunding you, that will pause and you may get pushed to the back of a new queue while they process straight refunds.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

Opening a dispute may delay the refund further- you’ll get a provisional credit on your statement, but it can take much longer to get it closed out.  This happens with canceled show tickets, order screwups or whatever too.  If they’re in the process of refunding you, that will pause and you may get pushed to the back of a new queue while they process straight refunds.

What choice do I have though if 20 days pass and still no refund? 

11 minutes ago, AlaskaNewbie68 said:

What choice do I have though if 20 days pass and still no refund? 

Lots of folks seem to be getting their refunds quickly with one simple request.

Did you ever think that calling every day with anything close to the attitude displayed here probably isn't helping?

I hope you get a refund soon so this doesn't keep popping up in various threads, and I hope you find a cruise line you like.

• Like 6

• Every day? I phoned on Thursday, that was the first time I called after getting an email stating 7-10 days to confirm it was all on track. And I was very pleasant as I always am (too nice for my own good usually).  Thanks, I won't bother anyone again here. I thought a few others might benefit from my experience. Enjoy cruising. 

Edited by AlaskaNewbie68
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlaskaNewbie68 said:
  • And I was very pleasant as I always am

You, talking about this in a different thread two days ago:

On 9/23/2023 at 8:47 AM, AlaskaNewbie68 said:

Oh  I AM GETTING NASTY at this point,

The simple fact is, refunds take time. Especially when there are thousands of people asking for one from a company that rarely has to issue any. First, the customer service department has to process your request, and tell the accounting department to pay you. Then the accounting department has to process that request, and issue a payment. And then the payment needs time to process; it's not instant that when they submit a payment it instantly shows, there is no "pending transaction" for this sort of thing it's just not there until it posts.

If you requested immediately, this is only the 11th business day. That's why even your own credit card wouldn't file a dispute and is making you wait. Because given the situation, this has not yet taken an unusual amount of time.

• Like 7

On 9/25/2023 at 7:02 AM, AlaskaNewbie68 said:
  • Every day? I phoned on Thursday, that was the first time I called after getting an email stating 7-10 days to confirm it was all on track. And I was very pleasant as I always am (too nice for my own good usually).  Thanks, I won't bother anyone again here. I thought a few others might benefit from my experience. Enjoy cruising. 

Speaking as both a travel agent and a cruiser who cruised pre and post-covid: refunds were taking 6+ MONTHS during / after covid to receive, and people who filed disputes prematurely were/have been banned from cruise lines. It is advisable to at least give 30 days, as this isn't a simple "I cancelled my cruise as a one-off". This is thousands of cancelled cruises all at once, so they're a bit slammed, and the likelihood is that the credit card companies may be aware of that and temper their response accordingly. Just some friendly input.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 10:16 AM, AlaskaNewbie68 said:

I called Amex to see what could be done. They said they are making a note of the issue and in 10 days we can file for a dispute, if the refund doesn't come in.

Based on all cruise lines, that 7-10 day is a standard answer. I've seen it take up to 2 months for refunds to process from other cruise lines. You will get your refund, it just may take a bit longer. Has your TA been able to get any assistance for you? They have direct contacts at the cruise lines who can look into these issues and when possible escalate them to the appropriate folks in management. 

• Like 1