BTimmer's Almost Live Grand South America 10/7/23 -12/19/2023

Btimmer

Just now, mustgo said:

I know that the ice and penguins are the real show but are you getting main stage nightly entertainment?

Absolutely!  We had a singer last night and a comedian tonight.  We have a full entertainment schedule that's published every few weeks.  But keep in mind that this is a "Grand" cruise and we are being treated very well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Absolutely!  We had a singer last night and a comedian tonight.  We have a full entertainment schedule that's published every few weeks.  But keep in mind that this is a "Grand" cruise and we are being treated very well.

thank you.  Hope to get entertainment on the 12/16/  cruise

We have encountered too much ice and had to turn around in the Lemaire Channel (65 degrees and 25 minutes and just north of the Antarctic circle), It's been quite foggy with low visibility.  We're currently in a recap session with the Antarctic experts.  He just commented the the amount of sea ice around Antarctica is the least ever recorded.

IMG_8957.thumb.png.c18e93b999b1676734f48651b3720eb3.png

IMG_8958.thumb.png.64f26d30b168d7918fb651668fe9d43a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

How was the motion of the ocean on your way across?   I am a bit of a fairweather sailor,  so curious?   Thanks!,

I meant to comment on that in my blog.  It was extremely smooth by my standards.  We cruised across the Drake Passage at 17 knots which allowed the stabilizers to work efficiently.  We also had a following sea.  I should note that I sleep extremely sound and don't feel a thing until I wake up for bio breaks.  This morning the ship had a definite list to the port side due to 50mph winds hitting the starboard side.

Once we were inside the protection of the islands and cruising in the various channels, it was quite smooth, but the outside decks were about 30ºf or -2C with occasional snow showers.  As of this writing at 11:49pm, the bow is covered in snow.

This place is so unique and charming, I would never let weather be a deterrent to a visit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Durango Sandy said:

Where are you map wise? We are on Viking Octantis now, left South Georgia yesterday, Antarctica tomorrow. Would be fun to track each other… we are five star on HAL, our usual line!

Thanks, Sandy

Get the cruise mapper app! It shows and identifies all the cruise ships.  Marine Traffic does all ships, but the free version doesn't update constantly.

• Like 4

Presently our winds have increased to 14 knots. The Captain is doing a great job of avoiding the most severe winds off the coast as shown in the wind map above from Meteoblue.com 

Edited by Lenliner
Accuracy!
  • Like 1

Here's our route from my waking up at 7 this morning.  Most of the pictures were from Paradise Bay or just before. Couverville island is home to a major Gentu penguin colony.  I choose not to be more specific with locations as it's too difficult for me to take the pictures and write notes about their location.  I do try to post map pictures to indicate a general location but that may lag due to the timing of when each can be posted trying to keep the thread 'almost live'.

IMG_9022.thumb.png.1bd7057981f75addb99c1eb41098dc5e.png

IMG_9023.thumb.png.368941d5accb796c83909bb5416252b8.png

IMG_9021.thumb.png.3d39394adb49633834e71a2bea2eedb5.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I look forward to your posts on CC and your blog so much.  The photos are fabulous.  The excitement of seeing the first iceberg and knowing what was to come came thru loud and clear.

I have a question...Are there any areas where the captain will rotate the ship so that passengers front, back, and both sides will be able to have a view?  I assume it would be difficult in many places. 

Thank you so much for bringing us along.  I know our January cruise will not be the same as yours' but I can't wait.  Cherie   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cccole said:

I look forward to your posts on CC and your blog so much.  The photos are fabulous.  The excitement of seeing the first iceberg and knowing what was to come came thru loud and clear.

I have a question...Are there any areas where the captain will rotate the ship so that passengers front, back, and both sides will be able to have a view?  I assume it would be difficult in many places. 

Thank you so much for bringing us along.  I know our January cruise will not be the same as yours' but I can't wait.  Cherie   

In Antarctica, he's not rotated the ship 360° (due to ice or wind conditions, I would guess)  but there is some rotation to allow for viewing.  The Expedition team commentator does broadcast via the PA system the presence of significant items and where it can be seen.  Penguin or whale sightings do bring a rush to one side or the other.  The key is to get all over the ship for views and acknowledge you won't see everything.

In the Chilean fjords, there was full rotation at some glaciers.

• Like 4

Thank you so much for your reply to my question.  I laugh when I think of everyone rushing from side to side and the ship listing.  I have heard that it is important to always have your jacket with you when dining so you can go outside when something appears!  Thank you again, Cherie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cccole said:

Thank you so much for your reply to my question.  I laugh when I think of everyone rushing from side to side and the ship listing.  I have heard that it is important to always have your jacket with you when dining so you can go outside when something appears!  Thank you again, Cherie

Trust me it's a sight to see (and participate in!) a penguin rush!

Re: dress, I spent two hours this morning outside without gloves and it got painful.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

The Expedition team commentator does broadcast via the PA system the presence of significant items and where it can be seen.

Can this broadcast be heard inside your stateroom?

4 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Can this broadcast be heard inside your stateroom?

Absolutely!  Because it is so cold outside, the normal commentary that is only heard outside is broadcast on the general PA system like regular announcements so we all have the commentary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Durango Sandy said:

Thank you for your reply and effort. What you are providing is wonderful. Appreciate whatever you can do, foremost enjoy yourself!

You're welcome.  I'm not trying to provide a scientific or technical commentary, but I am trying to give my readers a sense of the grandeur and majesty and uniqueness of the Antarctic experience.

• Like 9