Odd Shore Excursion Timing

RELS

We're booked on the May 15-29 '24 Alaska cruise on the Explorer. The itinerary has us docked at Icy Strait Point from 8am to 9pm. We signed up for a 2.5 hour excursion that starts at 8:30am. All good. That leaves us lots of time in the afternoon, so I looked for a later excursion to add. Turns out all the excursions at the port, included or paid, are scheduled to start at 8:30.  This seems odd, and maybe nuts, to have everyone on board descend on the meeting location at one time.

Has anyone seen this before? Is this just a placeholder and we'll find out later what the real time is?

Also, and only tangentially related, is May too early to see bears?

We’re on the June 12 departure. Last time I checked we dock in Ketchikan at 7:00 and most of the excursions start at 7:01, including lunch excursions. Other ports have similar schedules. I think(hope) that these are placeholders while the tour operators get their ducks lined up. 

Not odd at all. Generally the excursions go off when the ship first docks.  Often they'll have other options on the short ones, but you have to consider the possibility that the demand for your excursion didn't warrant a second session or the tour companies are also booked with other ships in port.  Who knows?   But keep an eye on it.  Often, as interest improves (or whatever reason), they'll add a later excursion that you might want to jump on. It's happened to us before.  So keep checking back on your account.  

Edited by papaflamingo

@papaflamingoyour information is probable newer than mine. Our first Regent cruise was to Alaska in 2018. I don’t remember excursions starting the minute after docking and definitely the George Inlet crab feast left the ship in time for the feast to be at lunchtime. The current schedule for that excursion would have us back to the ship in time for lunch in Prime 7. 

6 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

@papaflamingoyour information is probable newer than mine. Our first Regent cruise was to Alaska in 2018. I don’t remember excursions starting the minute after docking and definitely the George Inlet crab feast left the ship in time for the feast to be at lunchtime. The current schedule for that excursion would have us back to the ship in time for lunch in Prime 7. 

Probably more port specific than anything else.  Like I said, could be lack of interest or lack of availability of tour operators. Again... keep checking back, I've seen them add tours departing later.  

With the new NCL dock in Ketchikan for NCL corp ships and at least 4 or maybe 6 places at the older city dock there could be upward to 10,000 to 15,000 visitors the day you are in port. Someone is going have early or later tours…..there are just so many buses and guides. Our son’s family were on a NCL ship in June and there were over 14,000 people at the two docks! The shuttle into town was a 20 min ride and had a huge waiting line. There was a smaller ship docked with them think was Regent but didn’t really notice. They stayed on the ship. Hopefully that will improve at the NCL dock. It was my favorite port before because you docked right in town and everything is a short walk!

i can’t remember remember If we had company the day we were at Icy Straits. But I think there was only room for two ships. It is a terribly small place and I don’t think any one actually lives there full time. We did a 4 wheel wildness drive which was fun with nice scenery, but no animals. The only bears we have seen were at the salmon bake in Juneau and the habitat in Sika. Now on our two plus month RV trip to Alaska and back we saw a lot. One even scratched his behind on our RV!!😮

Regent will try to add tours if the interest is there and ones are available. Also  lots of times the departure time changes once you are on the ship.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

On Grandeur in September 2024 for which we just booked excursions, many had starting times like 9:33 AM or 10:37.  Clearly, I think, typos since never has excursion timing been that precise.  We assume/hope that the times are "rounding error" and not some total mess up which will invalidate some of our choices due to conflicts at a later date.

19 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

definitely the George Inlet crab feast left the ship in time for the feast to be at lunchtime.

Funny. The George Inlet crab feast for the cruise @RELS and we are taking, the excursion is for 7:30 a.m. I'm a big fan of that excursion, but even I won't do it for breakfast!