New York

bodallin

Tons of stuff to see and do, hop a cab to Central Park or Rockefeller Center or Radio City Music Hall or go to The Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum at the pier or if weather is good it's a 20 minute walk to Columbus Circle and the start of Central Park, 10 minute walk to The Intrepid or a 30 minute walk to Rockefeller Center

Because of traffic concerns I would check and see if the cruise ship offers a day tour of NYC, 5 hours is not a lot of time.

On my upcoming TA, NCL has a NYC city tour that drops off at the airport (probably picking up incoming passengers, I guess) but is almost 200$ per person. For that money you could probably hire a taxi or uber to give you a quick tour of the city.  There is also the HOHO.   On trip advisor, viator  and airbnb experiences, there is tons of tours available. If I was on a b2b, I would want to go to the nearest CVS to pick up supplies  then get an authentic NY deli sandwich and go to the Intrepid. and then return to the ship

what day of the week is it and when is your onboard call time?

if wednesday or saturday, you can catch a matinee if you choose your show carefully. most shows start at 2 pm. traditional shows run about two hours and twenty minutes, but there are some that have no intermission and run less than two hours. if your onboard time is 4;30 or later, you're golden. most broadway theatres are a short ten to twenty minute walk from the manhattan cruise terminal. sundays are more problematic because most matinees start at 3 pm, but there are a few that start at 1 pm, if they are doing two shows that day.

personally, i wouldn't take a formal tour. assuming no mobility issues, i'd head out on foot and explore the midtown west, times square, fifth avenue and/or lincoln center areas. stop at rockefeller center, st. paul's cathedral, times square, macy's, tiffany, the apple store (an architectural wonder), central park. take a tour of NBC studios. get a hot dog from a street vendor. and an oversized pretzel. have lunch at a very affordable chinese, thai or mexican restuarant on ninth avenue. or visit rudy's, a self-proclaimed "dive bar" on ninth ave (your NCL FAS card will not be accepted, but the drinks and hot dogs are cheap). stock up on tee shirts or salty snacks or sunscreen at target on 45th and tenth or W 42nd street between broadway and eighth. (you'll likely run into many of your ship's staff while there.) visit the empire state building. visit the museum of modern art. visit madame tussaud's wax musuem. (there's usually one wax figure you can pose with for free on the sidewalk.) take a ride on the subway and visit the 9/11 museum and memorial.

you won't be able to do ALL that, but there might be something of interest.

also go to groupon and see if they have any good discounts available for the dates of your visit.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bodallin said:

Have 5 hour in New York on B2B cruise. Any recommendations of tours, must sees .

Do double check where in New York you are docking. If it is a B2B (vs a port stop) there is the possibility you are docking in Brooklyn which would change things quite a bit in that it will take you time on each end to get to and from Manhattan. 

If you are docking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal then a lot of the above advice works. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you are docking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal then a lot of the above advice works.

I believe this was originally posted in the NCL forum then moved here (hence my first comment suggesting visiting this forum section).  That means it'll be the MCT...

• Thanks 1

This is New York City. This is not a small city with a handful of things of interest. There are 8-1/2 million people here, and and an additional 15 million people in the surrounding area. There are more things to do here than any other city on the earth, with tours and sights of everything imaginable. Your question is far too open-ended. Rather than starting out by asking here--we all have our individual specialized interests that may, or more likely not, coincide with yours--better to read a book, and to think about what actually interests you. Once you can narrow things down, then return with more concise questions.

• Haha 1

the OP’s question was a good one, the key information shared was that that they have only five hours. what recommendations do you have, the OP asks, of things i can and should do in five hours? the OP is from australia. one can infer that they haven’t been to NYC before.

any forum participant here is free to answer the question any way they like, including making broad-based recommendations for a visitor who only has five hours: the empire state building, a hot dog, times square, broadway, macy’s, central park and saint patrick’s (i erroneously said “st. paul’s” up above) are all good recommendations, quintessential new york …it would be hard to visit midtown manhattan for the first time and not consider those. we don’t have to know if the person likes tall buildings or department stores or is religious or a vegetarian.

asking somebody what they like in this instance limits their possibilities and ensures that they will have a new york experience that closely resembles their experiences in any other cities they’ve been to.

(i can confirm, as hallux said, that this was originally posted in the NCL forum and that the ship will dock at the manhattan cruise terminal on 48th street.)

1) Confirm which port

2) Tell us what YOU have always wanted to see in NYC.  I expect what *I* would do (I've been in NYC for over 300 nights in the past 25 years) and what *you* would want to do are likely different. Do you really want to collect other folks' ideas?  Or do you want to do what's best for you?

Or you can just look at a guidebook to get that info if you have no idea of what to do and see

• Like 1

I’ve lived/worked in and around NYC my whole life. The best suggestions I’ve read here are not to try to do too much. Depending on the day of the week and the time traffic could be a horror which will definitely impact touring. The NYC Marathon is November 5 so it will be extra busy that weekend. But, the Intrepid is right next to where NCL docks in the City. They are at Pier 88 and Intrepid is at 86.