Purchasing An RCI Gift Certificate - Canadians

Fouremco

I've posted this on the RCI board as well, but in the off chance that someone knows a workaround, I'll post it here as well.

Our son and our son-in-law both have their birthday next month, and I was thinking about giving them gift certificates that they could use for our family cruise in January. Searching the RCI website, the only page (https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com) I could find on buying gift certificates says that they are available for US residents only:

Screenshot2023-09-26at12_52_33PM.thumb.png.9f6bbfed9c0fe01f46c3aaf59fa03400.png

I called the Help number, and they confirmed that the recipients of the GC must be a resident of the US, although the purchaser doesn't need to be.

I'm not sure that I understand why I can buy a wide assortment of gifts for them, but not gift certificates. Can someone explain the rationale? Or better yet, provide a workaround?

2 hours ago, JustCruzin77 said:

If they are already booked, I would suggest buying them some OBC instead? Or send a gift to their stateroom.

There were no suitable gifts, but your OBC suggestion is sound. Of course, I could always go any buy them some USD. I'm not sure if RCI offers a favourable exchange rate when buying OBC.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

There were no suitable gifts, but your OBC suggestion is sound. Of course, I could always go any buy them some USD. I'm not sure if RCI offers a favourable exchange rate when buying OBC.

I would give them USD   to  use on the trip

If you are going to be onboard with  them   give then a  card with  the promise of USD 

Then when you board  put some  USD on their  stateroom account

probably less hassle than trying to buy gift cards  fro the cruise line

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would give them USD   to  use on the trip

If you are going to be onboard with  them   give then a  card with  the promise of USD 

Then when you board  put some  USD on their  stateroom account

probably less hassle than trying to buy gift cards  fro the cruise line

Tomorrow I'll see what kind of exchange rate I can get buying USD in Ottawa and buying OBC from RCI. But I do like the idea of the card now and the USD applied to their accounts onboard.

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I've posted this on the RCI board as well, but in the off chance that someone knows a workaround, I'll post it here as well.

Our son and our son-in-law both have their birthday next month, and I was thinking about giving them gift certificates that they could use for our family cruise in January. Searching the RCI website, the only page (https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com) I could find on buying gift certificates says that they are available for US residents only:

Screenshot2023-09-26at12_52_33PM.thumb.png.9f6bbfed9c0fe01f46c3aaf59fa03400.png

I called the Help number, and they confirmed that the recipients of the GC must be a resident of the US, although the purchaser doesn't need to be.

I'm not sure that I understand why I can buy a wide assortment of gifts for them, but not gift certificates. Can someone explain the rationale? Or better yet, provide a workaround?

I think the issue is that the gift card has to be redeemed before cruising. They cannot be redeemed on board. They may be using a US broker that can’t manage the exchange transactions and bank charges. We’ve had gift cards from family in Canada applied to our on board account on NCL and on CCL. When we we sailed with RC they tried but couldn’t make it happen so we got a nice gift in our Christmas card. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, Fouremco said:

After checking local exchange rates (>1.370) and comparing them with what RCI is charging today (1.300), I decided to buy OBC for the boys. As that is a darn good rate, I decided to treat myself to some as well. 😇 

Can you send me an e-mail please at wendybob8 at gmail.com (your former neighbour) -   I have a question to discuss with you.  Thanks.

Wendy