Any recent Covid experiences?

Bkmat

We will be taking our first post pandemic cruise (our first NCL) this winter.   I am wondering if there is Paxlovid at the medical centers on NCL?  And, if you go to the medical center and test positive, do you quarantine in your room?  I do not see too many current posts about people’s experiences with covid during their cruise.  We are up to date with vaccinations and will be crossing our fingers that we remain healthy on our cruise.  We’ve always enjoyed our previous cruises in the past and are looking forward to trying out the NCL  experience.  Despite being very careful we unfortunately got covid on our first post pandemic big trip (not a cruise).  But, we know that risk exists in everything we do each day and are hoping for the best with our upcoming travel.  Thanks in advance for any insights/experiences.  

Take your own OTC meds and if your doctor can prescribe it for you the paxlovid on the cruise with you. 

Read that thread … and decide for yourself … every cruise has had some reported Covid cases and many unreported (until after the cruises).

• Like 2

Without getting into merits, pro's & con's and differences in personal opinions & beliefs: lookup "universal precautions" for HCW (healthcare, especially direct care settings) as the general principles and guidelines are there to consider & follow, and it's a matter of mainly taking personal responsibilities, and listen to/follow best practices & advice.  

Think of how cruise lines used to deal with a major outbreak, i.e. norovirus onboard cruise ships - those measures were proven to minimize and mitigate the odds against exposure, nothing absolute. 

Going further into topic is likely going to result and subject to interventions once matters get heated up.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

If you feel sick, with whatever, hoping passengers will be considerate of others and cover up at the least.   

But people don't. They really don't

Two weeks ago, more and more people coughing and sniffling toward the end of the cruise. And there was a noticeable increase in the number of people wearing masks onboard at the end of the cruise. 

I fly several times a month, if not weekly. There are always sick people on planes. And I always have a N95 mask on for most of the flight (need to take it down for a minute here and there to "keep hydrated". The lady in back of me commented that "her cough (which was a hacking cough throughout the flight) just stated and it must be the air on the plane" Not. sick sick sick. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies, not trying to be controversial at all, just wondering what the current processes are “if” one becomes ill with covid on NCL and if paxlovid is available.  I will be asking my doctor for a prescription “just in case”, but I’m not sure if providers are doing that and I doubt my insurance would cover it.  I am trying to gather info only, not making a judgement on folks traveling while ill.  The reality is that some of us could have the virus, or some other illness, and not even know it.  I understand there are risks to travel and catching an illness is one of them.  Thanks again, and I wish everyone safe and healthy travel journeys! 

In the FAQ under "what if I get sick while on board" NCL states: "Medical centres will be equipped to test for COVID-19 onboard and if a positive case is identified, contact tracing for that individual will begin immediately and occur at the same time as treatment."

They might quarantine you, but they will treat your illness. Any travel insurance would reimburse you. If you're going to US Ports, there might be some Urgent Care or CVS places with Minute Clinics too. Before I go, I always carry a list of In-Network hospitals, urgent care centers and pharmacies near the ports.

2 hours ago, Bkmat said:

Thanks for the replies, not trying to be controversial at all, just wondering what the current processes are “if” one becomes ill with covid on NCL and if paxlovid is available.  I will be asking my doctor for a prescription “just in case”, but I’m not sure if providers are doing that and I doubt my insurance would cover it.  I am trying to gather info only, not making a judgement on folks traveling while ill.  The reality is that some of us could have the virus, or some other illness, and not even know it.  I understand there are risks to travel and catching an illness is one of them.  Thanks again, and I wish everyone safe and healthy travel journeys! 

If the ship gives you paxlovid, be prepared to pay OOP for it and get reimbursed by your travel insurance. I believe the days of a fcc fir being quarantined with Covid are over, it’s treated like other illnesses onboard.

We contracted Covid while on a HAL cruise in mid Sep 2023. We had taken our own test kits with us, the Medical department did not retest us since their tests were $38US each. My husband was prescribed Paxlovid ($750 US) and a cough syrup. The cost to see the Dr/nurse was $150ish, US. My symptoms were so mild, I didn’t even realize I had Covid until I tested myself. Although I went to medical with my husband and they checked me out (temperature check, oxygen level check and BP check) I was not charged any medical fees whatsoever. 

We were isolated in our room for five days from the day that we first felt symptoms. In my case, this was the same isolation as my husband, since I’d had no symptoms other than tiredness. Medical called to check on us twice daily as did Guest services and housekeeping. Medical provided us with a thermometer since we had not brought one, they always wanted to know our temperature when they called. We had a shore excursion planned the day our isolation was over and the day before that we had a call from the Shore Excursion folks to make sure we were feeling well enough to go, and still wanted to participate. If we had not wanted to go, we would have been refunded in full. 

Room service was provided….they were terrific! We could have called as many times as we wanted. We were given as much bottled water as we liked, free of charge and it was delivered with our room service. Housekeeping could not come into our room, but they called every day to ask if we needed anything. If we needed new towels or fresh sheets they were delivered and when we heard a knock on the door we knew they would be waiting outside for us. A bag was provided for our used linens and we called when it was ready to be picked up….same for our used room service trays, they were not to be left out in the hallway for pickup. Always wait for the knock at the door…..then mask up and push the old tray out, someone was there to take it straight away.

We were refunded port fees for any missed ports. Luckily, most of our isolation was on sea days, or at ports that we had been to before. We received a letter stating that we would receive FCC based on the pro-rated costs of our cruise for the days we spent in isolation. And at the end of the cruise we were provided with all of the documentation that would be required for our private medical insurance.

And the day our isolation ended, our room was cleaned top to bottom with hospital grade disinfectant.

• Thanks 4

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But people don't. They really don't

I get it. And I also look sideways at any person around me who coughs.

However, I do have smoker's cough. It's not at all contagious, and I cover it thoroughly, but omg, some of the looks I get. It's like people just saw the Grim Reaper.

16 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I get it. And I also look sideways at any person around me who coughs.

However, I do have smoker's cough. It's not at all contagious, and I cover it thoroughly, but omg, some of the looks I get. It's like people just saw the Grim Reaper.

That could make you a bigger risk as you will be coughing viral loads from early infection of anything you get that would  not actually give you a cough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, insidecabin said:

That could make you a bigger risk as you will be coughing viral loads from early infection of anything you get that would  not actually give you a cough.

Yeah, that is always a possibility with anyone who coughs or sneezes stuff out of their head. Sick or not at the time. In any case, it's the world we live in, and at least I cover my cough completely -- unlike many, many others I've witnessed.

After contracting Covid on the Sun in May, we became extra careful wearing masks in crowds (elevators). We stayed healthy on the Sky after 21 days of cruising New England and Canada. One evening we were seated in an alcove off the main dining room. The guy at the next table started coughing and not covering his mouth, etc. We moved as far away from him as we could. Our server noticed and asked if everything was ok. Within moments, we were moved to a different table.  Thanks NCL!

• Like 2

I've taken a bunch of trips since the restart, and for whatever reason the ones I take in September always seem to end with me catching Covid. First time I was tested on the ship and then quarantined to my room for the last 3 days. Now I take my own kits with me and test myself. This trip I tested negative on board, but the flight home I knew it would be positive on retest. When we landed and I got home it was positive.

Lots of cooties flying around. If you're susceptible or in a high risk group - wear a mask on the plane, wear a mask in the elevators, wear a mask when not eating/drinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1