Arctic Circle Tour Questions

RSF Cruiser

I'm trying to decide on an Arctic Circle excursion from Fairbanks and am not sure what to do. Has anyone taken these tours? My brochures are a few years old, so these tours may not even be offered now.

Warbelow's Air Adventures to Fort Yukon

Northern Alaska Tour Company with a landing at a Brooks Range wilderness community on the Middle Fork Koyukuk River

Trans Arctic Circle Treks: Polar Bears of Barrow or Fort Yukon trips

One Day or overnight tour on Alaska Airlines to Barrow. The overnight tour stays at the Top of the World Hotel.

I love scenery so seeing the Brooks Range is enticing, and I'm interested in the native culture, but don't know if there's any difference in what I'll learn/see in landing at Fort Yukon, Barrow, or the Brooks Range wildnerness place. I fear all three might be pretty touristy and not really authentic.

Thoughts? Advice? Opinions?

Budget Queen has offered advice & suggestions with tour companies in other posts-- did you try a keyword look up? I will try searching tonight & post again if I find it. With 9000 posts it is hard to read all of them....

My brother and I did the Barrow trip (at that time combined with a visit to Prudhoe Bay) and really got a lot out of it. Barrow is as far north as you can fly in Alaska commercially and it is a unique place in Alaska. We went on a sightseeing trip that included a performance of native dances and ate at the famous "Pepe's Mexican Restaurant" once seen on the Tonight Show.

Since you are interested in going above the Arctic Circle, you might also consider the overnight trips to Nome and Kotzebue. Kotzebue is one of the largest native settlements in Alaska and above the Arctic Circle while Nome was the site of one of the largest gold rushes in North America. If you've ever seen John Wayne's "North to Alaska", it is set in Nome (although never filmed there).

Haven't been on the smaller companies but they all have good reputations.

Been to Barrow and Prudhoe twice. ANWR once.

First trip to Prudhoe-Northern Alaska tour company. They did a pretty darn good job. Flew one way, took their shuttle from Prudhoe to Fairbanks on the return. We actually got to stop at two native villages on the flight (and a change of planes), as they were delivering the mail AND had a large group of students on some kind of expedition. It was definitely NOT touristy. The shuttle down from Prudhoe was very interesting. Stopped in Coldfoot for the night. DO NOT take a cruisetour to Prudhoe. The people departing the bus looked shell shocked. And you definitely must enjoy industrial stuff. There really is NOT much in Prudhoe EXCEPT the oil fields. You can take a dip in the Arctic Ocean, maybe see the resident grizzly (s). Other than that, there truly is not much there. And be prepared for spartan accommodations and VERY expensive food (even by Alaska standards).

Second trip to Prudhoe-we drove ourselves. Stayed much longer in Prudhoe and arranged a charter flight to ANWR. Needed to see what all the hullabaloo was about. Nothing there, except tundra and caribou. And since the caribou herd in Prudhoe is now 4 times larger than it was when they started the pipeline, it doesn't appear the caribou herd is in any danger.

First trip to Barrow-2002-we were actually in Homer. Saw the Homer newspaper, 15 polar bears in town. I drove as fast as I could to Anchorage, got on the Alaska Air flight and went to see the polar bears. Truly fascinating. This was the last week in August.

Flew back to Barrow in Sept 2004. Saw one poor polar bear-he looked like he was about ready to die. No more for the three days I was there. Truly the luck of the draw!!! I stayed at the Top of the World hotel this time. OK-no complaints, nothing special. But I did not expect 5* accommodations in the middle of nowhere.

I would do these trips every time I go to Alaska if I could. Prudhoe to me is truly fascinating. And the polar bears, when they are in Barrow, are a sight to see. Enjoy!!!

My opinion only, Barrow is not a day trip, I spent 3 days there and saw no polar bears. :( If you truely want nontouristy adventures, consider the cargo flights. I have done several with Warbelows. I call ahead and tell them I'm interesting in going, give them a few days and pick the spot. :) I've been to Bettles, Ft. Yukon, Wiseman, Anaktuvuk Pass.

The last 2 years I did the Northern Alaska fly/shuttle tour, to Coldfoot. Great guides and excellent tour at a reasonable cost of about $275pp for all day. http://www.northernalaska.com/flydrive.cfm

Thanks everyone for your help. I had done a search on the arctic circle threads and didn't get the detailed information I was looking for. I had not gone to the northern alaska web site - it was great. So many options, now I just need to figure out which one to take. I've narrowed it down to Anaktuvuk Pass, Coldfoot, or Barrow.

Looks like Anaktuvuk would have scenic beauty since it's in a mountain pass and the native culture. Coldfoot should also be pretty since it's in the mountains, but I'm concerned about the long van ride back, although we'd get to see the Yukon from the ground (maybe we could drive to the Yukon from Fairbanks...). And Barrow has the Arctic Ocean and maybe polar bears.

I'm interested in hearing about other's adventures and opinions... will help me decide.

Thanks...

Thanks everyone for your help. I had done a search on the arctic circle threads and didn't get the detailed information I was looking for. I had not gone to the northern alaska web site - it was great. So many options, now I just need to figure out which one to take. I've narrowed it down to Anaktuvuk Pass, Coldfoot, or Barrow.

Looks like Anaktuvuk would have scenic beauty since it's in a mountain pass and the native culture. Coldfoot should also be pretty since it's in the mountains, but I'm concerned about the long van ride back, although we'd get to see the Yukon from the ground (maybe we could drive to the Yukon from Fairbanks...). And Barrow has the Arctic Ocean and maybe polar bears.

I'm interested in hearing about other's adventures and opinions... will help me decide.

Thanks...

Definately the flight to Anaktuvuk is all scenery, definately superior than to Coldfoot. But the van ride back on the combo tour is just excellent, you make many stops and have the expertise of the guide's expansive commentary. For clairfication, it is NOT THE YUKON, it's all Alaska. You do get a look at the Yukon river and that is your meal stop location. So you do have the option of getting down for a look at the river.

IF You want to get into the Yukon, it's an easy drive from Skgway.

Budget Queen - oops, I meant the Yukon River, not the Yukon Territory - sorry about that.

According to my map, looks like we could drive to the Yukon River going north up the Dalton Highway or east on the Steese Highway to Circle. What are these rides like? Looks like the Steese Highway goes through the White Mountains. Is one more scenic than the other?

Budget Queen - oops, I meant the Yukon River, not the Yukon Territory - sorry about that.

According to my map, looks like we could drive to the Yukon River going north up the Dalton Highway or east on the Steese Highway to Circle. What are these rides like? Looks like the Steese Highway goes through the White Mountains. Is one more scenic than the other?

NOPE, you won't be able to drive the Dalton Highway with any "regular" rental, prohibited on gravel roads. There is one company I have used in Fairbanks, that has the gravel road cars, but you must be well prepared and competent with driving and all mechanical issues that can happen. You have to defer to all truck traffic on the Dalton. No cell service. Up to Circle is even more remote. :)

NOPE, you won't be able to drive the Dalton Highway with any "regular" rental, prohibited on gravel roads. There is one company I have used in Fairbanks, that has the gravel road cars, but you must be well prepared and competent with driving and all mechanical issues that can happen. You have to defer to all truck traffic on the Dalton. No cell service. Up to Circle is even more remote. :)

To add to this-this is NOT a trip you want to drive yourself if you are NOT well versed in wilderness driving. We own a logisitcs/trucking company and haul fish all summer long out of Alaska. When we drove ourselves to Prudhoe, even my DH said it was easier in one of our semi's. The alternator came loose and due to the fact we were on vacation, we did NOT have the wide array of tools we usually carry on a road trip. Thank goodness, DH will absolutely NOT leave home without basic tools if he thinks he will be driving anywhere. So out came the small tool box, with a variety of vice grips, wire and duct tape. He wasn't pleased with his repair, but who you gonna call up there? The truckstop in Coldfoot has a minimum $250.00 call out charge. For an alternator bracket-I don't think so.

We have satellite phones for our business and I always carry one on a far away journey. Not for the average person, as they are very expensive.

This is NOT an easy trip to drive yourself. If you are NOT mechanical, please don't even think of it. Use Northern Alaska tour company. They provide a quality experience, no matter where they take you.

Looks like Anaktuvuk would have scenic beauty since it's in a mountain pass and the native culture.

Thanks...

We'll be in Fairbanks the end of May and have booked with Arctictreks. Terry is the owner and has been great to work with. They have an option for a 6 hour Anaktuvuk Pass including a portion described as 'Tundra travel via 8-wheel all terrain vehicle with Eskimo guide' (tour #2000). When I spoke to Terry, the owner, this option was a bit out of our price range and we have decided on the bush mail flight (3-4 hours with 1/2 hour on the ground) in Antuvuk Pass (tour #1050B). I explained that we were hoping for the most scenic area and I'm hopeful this will be a great option.

If you want exact information check out the website at arctictreks dot com. Since we're going early in the season I will be sure to share feedback!

Budget Queen and Greatam - thanks for the info. Driving to the Yukon River is definitely not something we will do. If we do anything in the remote areas on the ground, someone else will do the driving :-)

And SEPyle - please share your adventure. I checked out arctictreks web site and they have lots of options, too.

We'll be in Fairbanks the end of May and have booked with Arctictreks. Terry is the owner and has been great to work with. They have an option for a 6 hour Anaktuvuk Pass including a portion described as 'Tundra travel via 8-wheel all terrain vehicle with Eskimo guide' (tour #2000). When I spoke to Terry, the owner, this option was a bit out of our price range and we have decided on the bush mail flight (3-4 hours with 1/2 hour on the ground) in Antuvuk Pass (tour #1050B). I explained that we were hoping for the most scenic area and I'm hopeful this will be a great option.

If you want exact information check out the website at arctictreks dot com. Since we're going early in the season I will be sure to share feedback!

This is a tour agent I will speculate and not the flight operator, which is probably Warbelows?? I have done these many times. I contact them a couple weeks ahead and let them know I'm looking for some interesting places to fly, some cargo runs are not fixed scheduled. I also am in Fairbanks at least several days to allow time for more options. They contact me a couple days before I'm in Fairbanks and let me know their schedule and flight loads. They will also take cargo before passengers and this has happened too. One trip denied 2 passengers as we were within 100 lbs of weight limit, but I still was able to go,since I had made the arrangements prior. They do run scheduled flights, but again, will max out on cargo in preference to passengers.

I have also done the mail runs out of Ketchikan, with Taquan. I do a lot of flying and now have some great contacts that I use over and over, getting great touring options. It pays to research the areas, some routes clearly better than others.

Budget Queen, thanks for the explanation about Warbelow's. I just looked again at the arctictreks web site and will quote: "Let Trans Arctic Circle Treks show you "our" Alaska. With us, you can see 3800 miles of it, from the majestic shores of the Arctic Ocean, to the rugged coastline of the Pacific Ocean in Prince William Sound. Let the 800 mile Trans Alaska Pipeline be your traveling companion as our experienced team of educated Alaskan guides show you a less traveled part of Alaska. We started this company because we love the north. We offer top quality tours and incredible alternatives to the busy, and often impersonal, large tour companies. Our entire staff is composed of educated, travel-savvy Alaskans who love their careers, and it shows. I trust that a tour with us will create wonderful memories of your Alaskan trip!"

--Terry "TT" McGhee

In reading the above and more information on the web site, I don't think they are tour agents (such as Dolly Varden), but will check into it. The part about letting their experienced guides show you a less traveled part of Alaska, makes me wonder. I will also see who does their flying. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hi RSF:

I also am looking at the possibility of an arctic extension. On our HAL cruisetour, we have an extra day in Anchorage. We are undecided between spending the day in Anchorage and flying to Barrow for the day for the sightseeing tour. I'd really hate to leave Alaska and not having traveled above the circle, let alone experience one of the unique, out-of-the-way places.

I'm really intrigued by Barrow, even though its a long trip to and from Anchorage - - not to mention a long day. I've posted several threads on this and get mixed responses. Some members definitely advocate staying in Anchorage for the day, others say don't miss the chance to get up there. Still others say it is too long for a day trip, which is all we have available. If you have any more input on this, please post it. I often check the board for threads dealing with the arctic extensions.

Hi RSF:

I also am looking at the possibility of an arctic extension. On our HAL cruisetour, we have an extra day in Anchorage. We are undecided between spending the day in Anchorage and flying to Barrow for the day for the sightseeing tour. I'd really hate to leave Alaska and not having traveled above the circle, let alone experience one of the unique, out-of-the-way places.

I'm really intrigued by Barrow, even though its a long trip to and from Anchorage - - not to mention a long day. I've posted several threads on this and get mixed responses. Some members definitely advocate staying in Anchorage for the day, others say don't miss the chance to get up there. Still others say it is too long for a day trip, which is all we have available. If you have any more input on this, please post it. I often check the board for threads dealing with the arctic extensions.

I've pretty much decided - based on info from this board and tripadvisor.com... We're going to skip Fairbanks, fly to Barrow from Anchorage and spend two nights at Top of the World. Based on my internet surfing, looks like Top of the World refurbished the hotel in 2004, and they have rooms with Arctic Ocean Views. The other hotels might be a bit nicer, but they are near the airport and not in walking distance to the ocean. To those who have been there, does this sound correct? Looks to me like those who like an adventure, the trip to Barrow is worth it.

I've pretty much decided - based on info from this board and tripadvisor.com... We're going to skip Fairbanks, fly to Barrow from Anchorage and spend two nights at Top of the World. Based on my internet surfing, looks like Top of the World refurbished the hotel in 2004, and they have rooms with Arctic Ocean Views. The other hotels might be a bit nicer, but they are near the airport and not in walking distance to the ocean. To those who have been there, does this sound correct? Looks to me like those who like an adventure, the trip to Barrow is worth it.

I stayed at the King Elder, but you may want to consider hooking up with a local private guide. Just excellent for me since it wasn't one of the "scheduled" tourist tours. :) You may want to consider grocery shopping in Anchorage and bring stuff up with you. Selections are limited and costs quadruple, in Barrow. :) My guide got a bag full too. :) Just be aware of your weight limits. I just went up with most of my stuff left in Fairbanks, so I had plenty of "pounds" I could ship.

Archived