Credit Cards?

nanrandy

I thought I read somewhere that credit cards are not widely accepted in Bermuda.  We hope to spend an afternoon in Hamilton and the next morning at the Dockyard.  Will we be able to use our MsterCard or will we need US cash?

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, nanrandy said:

I thought I read somewhere that credit cards are not widely accepted in Bermuda.  We hope to spend an afternoon in Hamilton and the next morning at the Dockyard.  Will we be able to use our MsterCard or will we need US cash?

Thanks for the help

Credit cards are widely accepted in Bermuda.

Mastercard and Visa are the most widely accepted, AMEX only a bit less, and Discover almost not at all. 

Most taxis don't take CCs but most stores and restaurants do...in fact you'd be hard pressed to find one that didn't.

Note that although Bermuda's dollar is on par with the US dollar so their are no conversion issues you will be charged a foreign transaction fee if your card assesses one. We always use a credit card that does not impose a foreign transaction fee.

Edited by njhorseman

15 hours ago, nanrandy said:

Thanks for the help

You only need cash for taxis (a few do take CC but many don't)  , the buses  or ferries. They take USD. I can't recall ever needing cash at any shop or restaurant the past 20 years. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 7:43 PM, nanrandy said:

or will we need US cash

As others have said, pretty much everything but taxis credit cards are almost universally accepted.

The one small caveat is if you do use US dollars-- and they are accepted as the Bermudan Dollar is pegged to it-- you can and will get change back in Bermudan Dollars which then become paper souvenirs if you don't spend them before leaving the island. 

With the posible exception of taxis,,,,,major credit cards (VISA, M/C, AMEX a bit less so..NO Discover cards accepted in Bermuda) will be as widely and readily accepted in Bermuda as anywhere else.

MOST taxis will NOT accept credit cards for fare payments. SOME (??) taxis will,

Taxis dispatched through the HITCH-- https://www.hitch.bm/ --downloadable samrtphone app will accept major credit cards (VISA, M/C) for fare payment