new pacemaker

lineman

😀I have not cruised since having a pacemaker put in me plus a total knee replacement . I'm going on a B2B in Nov. on the Equinox, at check in,do you still walk thru a metal detector or do I tell them what I have like I do in the airports?

• Like 1

I have 2 knee replacements and a pacemaker.  The metal detector should be no problem at any of the locations.  However, you should tell the scanner that you have a knee replacement because  someone pat you down.  This also will happen whenever you reboard the ship at a port stop.  No a big issue.

Yes. Tell them and have documents ready particularly with your pacemaker. At ports, coming back onboard you are scanned.   have you checked with your surgeon to see if scanners will affect the pacemaker?     Suggest always carry a medic card if you dont already do so.  

I have a TKR and always set off the alarms.    

• Like 3

Have had my pacemaker for over 2yrs now and have sailed multiple times.  I never go through the metal detector.  I just let them know I have one and they pull me aside for a quick pat down.  Never needed to produce any paperwork…but I do have my card with me if needed

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

have you checked with your surgeon to see if scanners will affect the pacemaker?  

I second this advice.  Please be sure you understand from your own physician all relevant do-s, don’t-s, and potential issues with going through a scanner or other screening device. 

• Like 1

I've been on 20 cruises since I had my pacemaker installed in 2016.  Like you do at the airport, just tell the security people at the ship's scanning entrance that you have a pacemaker and they will "pat you down" or use a scanning wand when you enter. It's a simple process.

Vince

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 8:09 PM, lineman said:

😀I have not cruised since having a pacemaker put in me plus a total knee replacement . I'm going on a B2B in Nov. on the Equinox, at check in,do you still walk thru a metal detector or do I tell them what I have like I do in the airports?

With a pacemaker you should NOT go through any of the magnetic scanners. When you get to the security screening, tell the TSA person who is assisting people with putting their items in bins, that you have a pacemaker and they will point out the AIT scanner that you can go through. After going through they may still want to pat down, but it's no big deal. If you are in another country and get to security, even if they don't speak English, they will know what you mean if you pat on the left side

of your chest and say pacemaker. You have the right to ask for a pat down in any place that does not have the AIT scanners. Your device maker should have sent you an ID card to be used in places like airports, have it handy and show it to security. If your device maker failed to give you a card, call them.

Yes your knee can go through, but not your upper body.

I have had a heart device since 2003, an ICD, and currently I have my third ICD (2003, 2009, 2018). We have traveled all over the world the last 20 years and I have never had a problem with security not understanding. When you go on a ship they only have the magnetic security, just tell them you have a heart device and need a pat down. Don't let anyone make you feel embarrassed about a pat down, and don't let anyone convince you that it's okay to go through the magnetic machine or wave a magnetic wand over the upper part of your body. Magnetic wands should be kept 18 inches away from your device.

Even at a hotel we stayed in when Istanbul, they had the same magnetic hoops that airports have. They gave me no problem about not going through.

If female the pat down will be female, if male it will be a male.

Edit to add, sorry I did not see the part about you having already been through airports.

Edited by SPacificbound
add content

On 9/29/2023 at 8:09 PM, lineman said:

Your knee replacement, how long did it take to fully recover?

@SPacificbound you gave a very nice explanation of how to avoid scanners. I also am on my third ICD and currently I also avoid scanners but for a very different reason.  I avoid them because of the annoyance of their triggering and then having to subsequently still have to be patted down.  That now occurs with regularity when in the past it was a rare airport, Heathrow, that was set so sensitive.  The brief moment you are in a scanner does not constitute a problem for your device.  I have reviewed that very issue with multiple electrophysiologists, as well as with Medtronics, my particular device maker and in the medical literature.  It is correct that a magnet can be used to turn off the ICD function, but removing the magnet then allows the function to return.  That is why an anesthesiologist can set a magnet over your pacemaker so the electrocautery does not trigger it and then by just taking the magnet off the ICD function is restored. The brief moment you cross the scanner threshold is thus of minimal if any risk. The annoyance of the scanner alarming is a bigger pain

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

Your knee replacement, how long did it take to fully recover?

replaced at the end of May , used a cane for a visit to FL. including trips through airports with very little discomfort. As of today,no cane walking fine . Gets stiff if knee gets cold.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lineman said:

replaced at the end of May , used a cane for a visit to FL. in Aug. including trips through airports with very little discomfort. As of today,no cane walking fine . Gets stiff if knee gets cold.

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2023 at 1:41 AM, wheezedr said:

@SPacificbound you gave a very nice explanation of how to avoid scanners. I also am on my third ICD and currently I also avoid scanners but for a very different reason.  I avoid them because of the annoyance of their triggering and then having to subsequently still have to be patted down.  That now occurs with regularity when in the past it was a rare airport, Heathrow, that was set so sensitive.  The brief moment you are in a scanner does not constitute a problem for your device.  I have reviewed that very issue with multiple electrophysiologists, as well as with Medtronics, my particular device maker and in the medical literature.  It is correct that a magnet can be used to turn off the ICD function, but removing the magnet then allows the function to return.  That is why an anesthesiologist can set a magnet over your pacemaker so the electrocautery does not trigger it and then by just taking the magnet off the ICD function is restored. The brief moment you cross the scanner threshold is thus of minimal if any risk. The annoyance of the scanner alarming is a bigger pain

Yes, my husband also has a Medtronic device (got it in Nov) and the info from them is what you said, it's ok to walk through the scanners (just don't stop halfway).

My question is if anyone has taken their bedside scanner with them. Were you able to connect to the ship's wi-fi to transmit dara if needed? We will be on Princess in February, still need to find out if "Comminicator" has to be taken along.

In theory you can just tell the security personnel that you have a pacemaker, and they'll do the pat-down instead of sending you through the metal detector.  After all, pacemakers are quite common -- and why would they want to do anything that'd get them into trouble? 

In reality, if you have a card, you should carry it. 

13 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Yes, my husband also has a Medtronic device (got it in Nov) and the info from them is what you said, it's ok to walk through the scanners (just don't stop halfway).

My question is if anyone has taken their bedside scanner with them. Were you able to connect to the ship's wi-fi to transmit dara if needed? We will be on Princess in February, still need to find out if "Comminicator" has to be taken along.

I have a Medtronic device and I was given the option to have the bedside scanner or be monitored through an app.  I selected the app so as long as I have my phone I am being monitored.   When I cruise I get the ship’s WiFi and I am covered  for the entire cruise.  So much easier and so convenient!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

14 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

I have a Medtronic device and I was given the option to have the bedside scanner or be monitored through an app.  I selected the app so as long as I have my phone I am being monitored.   When I cruise I get the ship’s WiFi and I am covered  for the entire cruise.  So much easier and so convenient!!

Thanks for your input - when he got the ICD the phone he had did not support the app. He's since gotten a new phone but was told it's either one or the other. I'll have to give the Medtronic folks a call and ask if he can use the app if the scanner is left at home.

• Like 1

I have had a pacemaker for over 13 years. Please do not walk thru any metal detectors.

Advise whomever is telling you to go thru that you have a pacemaker. They will have you bypass the metal detector and will use a wand to scan you. At the airport only go thru the total

body scanner, the one where you place your hands above your head, or get a pat down.

My 3rd ICD is Boston Scientific, all of the ICDs I have had, the instructions are definitely no metal detectors, magnets, no wands, and no MRIs. My current ICD was implanted in 2018. I'm not surprised at the different scenarios in what people think or believe. A highly acclaimed orthopedic knee doctor that I have seen several times, still does not get it that I cannot have an MRI. 

Be sure you know what is safe for you with your device.