NCL Star - Iceland/Greenland review - July 2023

tammyjw305

15 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We have an Iceland / Norway cruise booked on the Star next year . Would you please share some of the ships photos here on Cruise Critic ?  Thank you .

Nice -- Norway is on our list too. I don't think that I have too many ship pictures (more food pictures  🙂 ); I do have our cabin. I'll look and post what I find tonight. 

3 hours ago, tammyjw305 said:

Nice -- Norway is on our list too. I don't think that I have too many ship pictures (more food pictures  🙂 ); I do have our cabin. I'll look and post what I find tonight. 

Thank you @tammyjw305 . I did read your blog and loved it . We first visited Norway in 2013 on the Carnival Legend mainly for the itinerary and shared it on CC . We last visited there in 2019 and went to the Geiranger Falls from a ferry boat from Alesund before seeing Iceland. Our upcoming trip on the Star will finish up in Reyjavik where we plan on staying for 8 days . If you would  like to see some of our 2013 visit to Trollstigen from Alesund you can find it at this link . Thanks again for sharing your cruise and happy cruising !

4 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you @tammyjw305 . I did read your blog and loved it . We first visited Norway in 2013 on the Carnival Legend mainly for the itinerary and shared it on CC . We last visited there in 2019 and went to the Geiranger Falls from a ferry boat from Alesund before seeing Iceland. Our upcoming trip on the Star will finish up in Reyjavik where we plan on staying for 8 days . If you would  like to see some of our 2013 visit to Trollstigen from Alesund you can find it at this link . Thanks again for sharing your cruise and happy cruising !

Thanks for sharing! I will be check it out, so we can pick the best itinerary for us. 

Sorry not many ship pictures. This is our cabin -- 8106, smaller windows instead of one big window in an obstructed oceanview. IMG_6464.thumb.JPG.d395b4fb64347b7bf0a36998bb52e810.JPG

IMG_6463.thumb.JPG.084db1c0641c2ec582b3603188a9a53c.JPG

IMG_6462.thumb.JPG.95a60fb3bd313bac21773c155db28495.JPG

image.thumb.jpeg.978da0d54b52d55662c5af40f3acab97.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 9:15 PM, Nilbog said:

We've got this one scheduled for August 2024.  What were the temperatures like?  14 days is an awful lot of sweatshirts, and lots of luggage.

It was normally 50s or 60s. It was nice sunny days our first two days in Iceland. Then cloudy and windy the next, so cooler. Cooler in Greenland. I took 2 long sleeves shirts and 4 short sleeve shirts and layered the short sleeves with repeat jackets/sweaters. 

Tammy 

5 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Loved reading your review. Nice to see your photos from Isjafjord.  Sailing the prima, we obviously missed that one in August.   I am glad I was not the only one who thought crossing into the arctic circle, even just for a very brief time, was a big deal!  

Isafjordur was a nice sunny day too and pretty. You missed it due to weather or because the Prima is big?

Tammy 

1 minute ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

I don't think it stopped there at all this season due to the dock not being finished.

Ah, okay. We tendered. There was one dock with a container ship. Our tour guide said that we could have docked, but the container ship was not there. I only heard of it being a tender port, so I was not sure if that was really true. 

• 5 months later...

Awesome review! We are sailing on the Star end of May for Iceland & Norway (no Greenland ). Pics of the icebergs were amazing. And y’all looked so cold, even in July. I’m so glad I bought a new puffy, warm coat and mittens 

Have fun on your next adventure 

9 minutes ago, CAKEisgood said:

Awesome review! We are sailing on the Star end of May for Iceland & Norway (no Greenland ). Pics of the icebergs were amazing. And y’all looked so cold, even in July. I’m so glad I bought a new puffy, warm coat and mittens 

Have fun on your next adventure 

Thanks! It was a great trip. You will love it. Yes, picking between a warm coat and a raincoat was hard. We had some Smart Wool balaclavas and hat that helped too.   

Tammy

• Thanks 1

Hello! Great review. Question: We are planning on doing this trip in 2025 with a 10 year old. Were there other kids on board? Was the Kids Club open? We're afraid we'll have the only child on the ship which might be a deal breaker for now... Thanks!

On 4/4/2024 at 9:54 AM, NotYet44 said:

Hello! Great review. Question: We are planning on doing this trip in 2025 with a 10 year old. Were there other kids on board? Was the Kids Club open? We're afraid we'll have the only child on the ship which might be a deal breaker for now... Thanks!

Hi -- I don't remember well since we did not take our kids. There were definitely not many, many kids. I suspect that they would run the kids' club, but how many other kids would they get to hang out with would be the question. Not all kids like almost 1:1 attention. I tried to check our Roll Call to see who mentioned bringing kids and their ages; however, I could not find find it anymore. I recommend looking at the roll calls for the dates that work for you and see if they mention bringing kids and/or ask if they are to get an idea. 

Tammy