southampton hotel, close to port.

This website lists the vast majority of Southampton city centre.

The vast majority are modern chain hotels, Pig-in-the-Wall and Ennio's are the main exceptions - they plus White Star Tavern (rooms over a pub, near blue 15) mentioned by @tony s are more-individual boutiques.

Check the thumbnail map on this website, it shows the locations of the city centre hotels and the five cruise terminals.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Hotel numbers blue 12, 13 & 14 are less convenient than the others, blue 4 to 8 plus 16 are the best compromise between convenience to cruise terminals, the  city shopping centre and the few old-town sights & waterfront. Blue 5 is Holiday Inn, it's adjacent the port gate for City Cruise Terminal and rooms at the back overlook the terminal  & ship.

Standards / facilities & prices vary from two-star Ibis Budget to 5-star Southampton Harbour Hotel but there are none that I'd caution against.

JB 🙂

We stayed at Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker which is very close to the cruise terminal and Moxy which is one block from the Holiday Inn. Moxy is also very near the West Quay Mall where there are numerous restaurants. I recommend both hotels.

We stayed at Moxie. Great location. Short walk to train station and West Quay mall.

5 minutes taxi ride  to pier.

However depends what you are looking for in a hotel. No closet...a few hooks on wall. No t.v.  No telephone in room.

Small but very clean.

We stayed 2 nights....would stay again 

6 hours ago, kacurl said:

Premier inn city center

For clarification,.................

there are two P.I.s which they have described as "City centre".

The one that has always been named "P.I. City Centre" is in New Street on the eastern side of the city centre. Nothing wrong with the place other than it's not ideally located, especially for cruisers.

When a new one was built on Harbour Parade the new one was called "P.I. West Quay". It's adjacent the West Quay shopping mall & entertainment centre, and a stone's throw from the walls of old-town and several cruise terminals. It's a pound to a penny that's the one you mean.

A year or so back, some bright spark at P.I. decided that its name should reflect its convenient location, and the name was changed to "P.I. City Centre (West Quay)". The only thing that achieved was to cause confusion 🙄.

It seems they've realised that, and "City centre" has now been dropped from its name.

So "P.I. West Quay" is the name to look for

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

Now I'm confused. Is the New Street location also walkable to old town? We have stayed in Southampton twice before and now I might have booked wrong one. Where we stayed we could walk there. Tried to look up my previous booking but not showing.  Cathy

3 hours ago, kacurl said:

Now I'm confused. Is the New Street location also walkable to old town? We have stayed in Southampton twice before and now I might have booked wrong one. Where we stayed we could walk there. Tried to look up my previous booking but not showing.  Cathy

Yes, the New Road one is less-convenient than the West Quay one, but it's still walkable.

It's about 1/2 mile (10 min walk, yes- partly thro Palmerston Park) to the city's centre-point Bargate, the main entrance thro the city walls into the old town The Bargate & adjacent city wall are close to  the West Quay Mall and neatly divides old-town from that mall and the mainly-pedestrianised post-war main shopping street of Above Bar. From there it's the same distances to the old town's few sights as the West Quay one. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NjVkvAyZ5yXAj6ix5

JB 🙂

Thank you John, dh  says it is the New Road p i.  This time we will be there for 2 nights. Are there any second hand stores near by? Hoping to find him a sports jacket to wear on QM2 as this time we are Definitely planning to travel light and his suit jacket takes up a lot of room. Or maybe find a reasonably priced one at the mall.  What I remember most at the pi was how friendly everyone was, the food was good and they poured a nice drink!

On 10/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, John Bull said:

Yes, the New Road one is less-convenient than the West Quay one, but it's still walkable.

It's about 1/2 mile (10 min walk, yes- partly thro Palmerston Park) to the city's centre-point Bargate, the main entrance thro the city walls into the old town The Bargate & adjacent city wall are close to  the West Quay Mall and neatly divides old-town from that mall and the mainly-pedestrianised post-war main shopping street of Above Bar. From there it's the same distances to the old town's few sights as the West Quay one. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NjVkvAyZ5yXAj6ix5

JB 🙂

Sorry to get off the track. We will be staying at the Elizabeth House Hotel on The Avenue. Can you tell me if there is a City Bus we can take to the Central train station? We would like to visit Portsmouth.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, kjg46 said:

Sorry to get off the track. We will be staying at the Elizabeth House Hotel on The Avenue. Can you tell me if there is a City Bus we can take to the Central train station? We would like to visit Portsmouth.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. 

Blue Star / Unilink bus, route U2C.

Normally a double-deck blue bus.

It passes the door of your hotel & goes direct (no changes) to Southampton Central station.

Turn left out of the hotel, walk straight across the traffic lights & the bus stop is about 100 yards. Frequency every 15 minutes or better, journey takes about 10 minutes.

When you return it'll be numbered U2 or U2B .

If there's no live information board on the bus ask the driver to let you know when it gets to Stag Gates.

That'll be right  by those traffic lights which you crossed that morning & almost opposite your hotel. Use the traffic lights to cross the road.

(If you miss that stop, get off at the next one, Northlands Road & walk back, its only a few hundred yards - but it's a busy road, use the pedestrian crossing lights part-way back.)

Sorry  I don't know anything about fare (it'll be peanuts) or payment methods.

BTW, don't get off  the train at the big "Portsmouth & Southsea" station - take the train all the way to its terminus, Portsmouth Harbour. That's right by the Historic Dockyard & Ships, Spinnaker Tower etc

JB 🙂

14 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Thank you very much for the excellent information. Looking forward to the Port and the visiting the town.. All the best

Kevin

Kingwood, Texas USA

It passes the door of your hotel & goes direct (no changes) to Southampton Central station.

Turn left out of the hotel, walk straight across the traffic lights & the bus stop is about 100 yards. Frequency every 15 minutes or better, journey takes about 10 minutes.

If there's no live information board on the bus ask the driver to let you know when it gets to Stag Gates.

That'll be right  by those traffic lights which you crossed that morning & almost opposite your hotel. Use the traffic lights to cross the road.

(If you miss that stop, get off at the next one, Northlands Road & walk back, its only a few hundred yards - but it's a busy road, use the pedestrian crossing lights part-way back.)

BTW, don't get off  the train at the big "Portsmouth & Southsea" station - take the train all the way to its terminus, Portsmouth Harbour. That's right by the Historic Dockyard & Ships, Spinnaker Tower etc

JB 🙂

14 minutes ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂