Outlet Mall near LAX

rnr4thatsme

20 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

I was wondering if anyone had any favorite malls they could recommend nearby.

A favorite mall would be The Grove and the adjacent LA Farmers Market. The Grove is going to be a bit more upscale than an outlet mall (Nordstrom is the anchor store) but there are also mid level stores to shop at. Very atmospheric to walk around-- most of it is outside and sort of feels like an upscale theme park. The older Farmers Market thats adjacent is one of my favorite things to do in LA-- great food options at very reasonable prices. 

It will be a 20-30 minute Uber ride from a hotel at LAX. 

A few minutes away you have the Howard Hughes Center-- its been years since I've been there but from what I remember its a smaller, very run of the mill mall. Not sure what it has going for it these days. You could also Uber up to Santa Monica which is very pedestrian friendly and there are lots of shops and restaurants there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Yes, but upon going on websites, some only have a few stores.  I was wondering if anyone had any favorite malls they could recommend nearby.

You don't mention where you are sailing from, and why you need something "near LAX". The whole LAX area is pretty industrial and not overly easy to navigate. FWIW, we sail Princess from San Pedro, and have started to overnight before our trip in Torrance, which is about half way between LAX and San Pedro. In fact, we'll be back there this Friday ;o) Once of the reason we chose our particular hotel zone in Torrance is that it is co-located with the massive Del Amo mall, about 20-30 minutes in normal traffic from LAX and about the same to the port at San Pedro. The mall is huge and has a lot of stores, though it isn't technically an outlet mall. If you're sailing Carnival from Long Beach, there are the Pike Outlets right near the harbor in LB, in a great location with lots of hotels and restaurants nearby

• Like 1

I guess the real questions are what it is that you might be looking to shop for...and where it fits into your trip (Pre-cruise?  Post-cruise?  How much time do you have and how are you planning on getting there).

First, as to "Outlet Malls", it helps to know a little about the shopping mall business.  Most large outlet malls in urban areas such as Los Angeles are located in fairly out-of-the-way places--because of non-compete clauses in many department store and other large retailer leases and marketing agreements.  The large retailers don't want cut-rate competition for their large stores--so these outlet malls were forced to locate in areas outside of a certain radius of most ordinary malls.  So, in the Southern California area, most of the better, larger outlet malls are located far from the port or from LAX--Camarillo, Barstow, Carlsbad, Ontario, Cabazon, Fort Tejon, Lake Elsinore...Check out a map and you'll see how far these places are from where you'll be.  Likely not worth the long trip.

As to those regular shopping malls, your best bet for a LARGE shopping mall near LAX and the port is the Del Amo Mall in Torrance--about half-way beteen LAX and the port...It is in a relatively safe area--sort of middle class suburbia.  At one time the largest mall in the US, it is currently the sixth largest shopping mall in the United States and has a large variety of stores.

https://www.simon.com/mall/del-amo-fashion-center

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Amo_Fashion_Center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

As to those regular shopping malls, your best bet for a LARGE shopping mall near LAX and the port is the Del Amo Mall in Torrance--about half-way beteen LAX and the port...It is in a relatively safe area--sort of middle class suburbia.  At one time the largest mall in the US, it is currently the sixth largest shopping mall in the United States and has a large variety of stores.

https://www.simon.com/mall/del-amo-fashion-center

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Amo_Fashion_Center.

We'll be staying at the Hilton across Hawthorne Blvd from the Del Amo Mall this coming Friday. I know it's a huge mall but didn't realize it was still #6 in the US, pretty impressive, thanks for factoid.

Thanks all!  Del Amo sounds like what I'm looking for... just looking for something to do while my husband and son go to the Automotive Museum etc, and we are staying near LAX the day after the cruise as we have an early am flight the next morning.  

If they are going to the Peterson museum, I would suggest the Grove. Then they could meet you there for a late lunch or early dinner and then you guys can Uber back to your hotel together.  If you are into talk shows, you could also try to go to a taping over there, depending on the day.  

As others have mentioned, there are no close outlets.  I can only think of the Citadel Outlets in Commerce and that is not really close to me (I do not live too far from LAX - I pass it nearly daily).  

• Like 3